You Might be a Fabric Stash-er…

If –

1 – You tend to stalk your favorite stores for new fabric groups.

2 – You always have fabric sitting in a shopping cart, (or two!).

3 – You purchase fabric, before making plans to use it.

4 – You squeal with delight over a stuffed mailer in your mailbox.

Sound familiar?  My stash is not as big as some of the pictures I’ve seen, but I think I’m ready to admit that I’m a stash-er!

These beautiful pieces needed to be mine, especially when I saw them go on sale.

Here’s a group I can’t wait to add to my stash later this winter.  I’m sure there will be a few more purchases before that one though!

So, are you a stash-er?

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:31+00:00 September 1st, 2011|Inspiration|37 Comments

1. Thomas September 1, 2011 at 6:07 am - Reply

I am definitely a stasher!!! I just love fabric. I figure I wil find a use for it all eventually, even as my stash is growing exponentially with the addition of my own fabric… Eeek!!!

2. Stray Stitches September 1, 2011 at 6:10 am - Reply

Most definitely! I just can’t seem to have enough. I’m always looking for something different and then have to buy more to complete projects.

3. Sue September 1, 2011 at 6:18 am - Reply

I am definitely a stasher. Just had two shipments come this week! HA!

I do use from my stash so it’s all good :)

4. Suzanne September 1, 2011 at 6:20 am - Reply

Yes, I don’t have as much as many but I have more than most. :-)

5. Nancy D. September 1, 2011 at 6:28 am - Reply

Oh yes! Hello, my name is Nancy and I’m a Stasher. I’m eagerly awaiting a shipment this week. :)

6. Marjorie September 1, 2011 at 6:37 am - Reply

Absolutely! Although in recent years I’ve gotten a little better and have become primarily a “batik collecter”. (The subtle difference being that I buy specific colors and yardages that I cut into jelly roll and charms that I have not specific plan for.) But prints I don’t need do show up when I get near a clearance rack.

7. randi September 1, 2011 at 6:52 am - Reply

so, i might be a stasher if i own my own shop, but i still buy fabric from other places, right? :)

8. Sara September 1, 2011 at 7:04 am - Reply

Wonder why you would want that stack of fabric from FQS???hmmmm….he,he,he

If I had more $$$ lying around I would probably be a “BAD to the bone” stasher!

9. Tabatha September 1, 2011 at 7:05 am - Reply

I consider it my art collection!

10. Cheryl Arkison September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am - Reply

Oh definitely! Too much so! I tend to buy in groups. A blue spree, an orange one… Just last night I stocked up on greys and beiges from one on-line store.

11. Jo @ a life in lists September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am - Reply

I spend my life trying to convince myself that I’m not a stasher, but that little flutter at every new fabric range and the shiny new stack of Liberty print in my workroom (hey, it’s for my etsy shop, it doesn’t count as stash, right?) suggests otherwise…

12. Wendy September 1, 2011 at 7:33 am - Reply

I suppose I should be embarrassed that you have described me to a “T”…. but I am a stasher and proud of it! There are far worse vices, right?

Great minds think alike-got my little stash of Loulouthi on Monday. Gorgeous!

13. liveacolorfullife September 1, 2011 at 7:52 am - Reply

No, I’m a “curator of a fabric collection.” :)

14. Amy September 1, 2011 at 7:53 am - Reply

I am an obsessive stasher :) Actually I would say that collecting fabric is another hobby of mine. Although, I did organize my fabric the other day and I was surprised and happy to find that I have used up more of my stash as of late, the piles on the floor that didn’t fit on the shelves before was alot smaller :)

15. liveacolorfullife September 1, 2011 at 7:54 am - Reply

P.S. AWESOME blogger’s choice collection of fabric. I’ll definitely “curate” that one too!

16. Pam September 1, 2011 at 8:04 am - Reply

I am the highest degree fabric stasher that ever lived!!! Lol, I love fabric and a lovely fat package stuffed with fabric in my mailbox or handed to me by my mail guy makes me squeal with joy! I had to explain what I was squealing about to the poor guy, he looked frightened! lol, now he is just as delighted as I am to deliver the packages…says it makes him smile! Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone, but I’m a stone fabricholic!!!!
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! !

17. Mary Anne September 1, 2011 at 8:10 am - Reply

As my mother-in-law has always told me….She who dies with the most fabric wins! Thanks for the link to flickr….now I will be wasting the rest of my day drooling over people’s stashes! ;)

18. Denise in PA September 1, 2011 at 8:20 am - Reply

I am a big-time stasher I have to admit. The internet makes it oh so easy to find exactly what you need (most of the time – drives me nuts when I can’t find something). I love getting packages in the mail too. I think it’s an addiction. o:)

19. Melissa P September 1, 2011 at 8:25 am - Reply

Having a stash is something I almost take for granted after all these years. I do try to keep it confined to things I will conceivably use. Not too many pieces “just because”.

You’re going to love these prints and all they add to a stash. Versatility galore.

20. beki September 1, 2011 at 8:28 am - Reply

Of course! Where’s the support group?

21. Cindy Sharp September 1, 2011 at 8:39 am - Reply

There are plenty of things that are worse than having an excessive fondness for textiles, as long as the bills get paid, and the family gets fed, I’m good with it.

22. Linda September 1, 2011 at 8:56 am - Reply

Am I a stasher?!?!……..oh, man, you should see it. I try so had to resist, but I’m weak, so weak. Just wave a gorgeous monitor-full of fabric and I’m a goner………sigh……8-)

23. Marilyn September 1, 2011 at 9:13 am - Reply

Yes, sadly or happily, I am a stasher. I keep saying I need to buy less and quilt more.

24. lisa September 1, 2011 at 10:17 am - Reply

I am a stasher and what’s worse, family seems to think I need fabric so they give me fabric…i need to dump so much now..

25. Beth September 1, 2011 at 10:39 am - Reply

I am stasher for sure! I love looking at all of my beautiful fabric…it makes me smile. I do have good intentions for the fabric when I buys it though. If only time wasn’t an issue ;)
    Love your blogger’s fabric pics, may have to add them to my list of ‘wants’. Hope you have a joyful day! Smiles~Beth

26. Sarah Craig September 1, 2011 at 10:57 am - Reply

Definitely a stasher – I just gathered up a bunch at IKEA this past weekend – no particular plans for any of it, but I know it will get used!

27. Queenie September 1, 2011 at 11:42 am - Reply

Absolutely! Is there anyother way to be?!?!?

28. Carol September 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Absolutely, I’m a stasher. Like I said to my husband, women can never ever have to many shoes or to much fabric. I’m leaving work early tomorrow and going straight to the quilt shop. “City Quilters” in New York City.

29. CitricSugar September 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm - Reply

I stash. If I find fabric I like, I’ll always find a project for it. If I find a project, I can’t always find the right fabric…

Plus, when I get the urge to sew, it can be 10pm and I can’t shop then!

30. Thea September 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Just as long as it doesn’t turn into hoarding, I’m okay. Love your blogger’s choice fabrics!

31. Jovanna C. September 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Of course I’m a stasher. At least mine is corralled into one corner of my house, but I also sew clothes, but those are stored in a bench. :-) Besides, if you don’t get something you love now, you’ll never see it again.

32. Janine September 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm - Reply

I’ve always collected things and fabric is my latest collecting obsession. Finding great deals at thrift shops is always such a thrill! After all, if you don’t buy it when you see it, you will never find it again. And I know that perfect fabric is just waiting for that perfect project somewhere in my stash.

33. evelyn September 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Oh, that is definitely me. A stasher. ONCE I found a pattern and bought fabric for the quilt. ONCE in 25 years. Could happen again, but I am not counting on it. I figure that if I buy what I love, I will love what I make from it.

34. Pam September 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm - Reply

A stasher, a fabricoholic….YES and proud of it!!!

35. amy smart September 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Uh, yes. Definitely a stasher. Right now I’m trying desperately to use my stash before I buy anything new, but some of that new Denyse Schmidt is making things hard. At least it’s nice to know I’m not alone. :)

36. Erin September 2, 2011 at 10:42 am - Reply

Or you might be a fabric Stash-er if while cleaning out your car you fine TWO, I say TWO, bags of fabric that you forgot you bought in the trunk of your car…. you know, you had to leave in the car so your husband didn’t see yet another bag of fabric enter your house. Ugh. I think I have a problem! :)

37. WendyLadd September 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Given that I owned a fabric shop (The Fabric Quarter), I do have a larger stash than some but not all. Here’s how I justify it:
    I am a fabric collector. I enjoy it. I love it. I obsess over it. Some people collect paperweights. Some collect music boxes or frog figurines. My Grandma collected swans. I collect fabric. Each piece moves me creatively. Each pattern I buy or bundle I buy inspires my artistic side. Looking at the fabric – touching it, reorganizing makes me happy. I deserve to feed my collection. Much of it I will make quilts with over my lifetime. Much of it I will “outgrow” artistically and trade, swap or donate. I don’t care. When I have a bad day, I can take 10 minutes and pull fabrics for a quilt that I may or may not ever make. It settles me and delights me. I have not guilt over my ever-growing collection. Its one of the great loves of my life.