Majestic Mountains Quilt

I recently finished my Majestic Mountains Quilt for a Quilts of Valor celebrity auction. I was invited to participate by Marianne Fons, who is on the board for Quilts of Valor and generally someone that you don’t say no to. When she asked, and I said yes, there was months to design and finish a mini quilt – no problem! The focus was to be on America the Beautiful and living here in the mountains, I’m always in awe of their vast presence in my life, so I knew exactly what I wanted to focus on, but took my time finding the right way to go about it.

Quilts of Valor - Quilt Auction - Majestic Mountains by Amy Ellis - AmysCreativeside.com

Finally, the week before the deadline, I realized paper piecing was the way to go, and put together this pattern for an 18″x24″ mini. Using gradients of grey and greens, with a pretty pond I was able to create depth, and height – especially when I added the quilting.

In the sky area I had the computer add matchstick quilting every 1/8″ of an inch, and in the mountain I added random nearly vertical lines. I had purchased green thread to quilt the foothills, but found that I really liked the dimension of it unquilted as I got to that point.

I used a variegated thread in the mountain space, that echoes the light to dark of the mountains, which adds the imperfections and color shifts usually found in the mountainside.

A quick glimpse of our mountains – they are part of my everyday, and I love the view! I’ll be making this one again, my kids were all sad to see my Majestic Mountains quilt shipped off for the auction. I may also make the pattern available if there’s enough interest.

Happy quilting –

ETA – This mini quilt now has a pattern! Make your own version in one of two sizes, in the colors and prints you love.

By | 2017-02-06T09:17:44+00:00 May 17th, 2016|finished quilt|12 Comments

1. Robby H May 17, 2016 at 3:54 pm - Reply

While these aren’t quite ‘my’ mountains, they did have a terrific familiar feel. I feel like the simplicity of the fabric choices really let their sillouette shine. Beautifully done.

2. Diana @ Red Delicious Life May 17, 2016 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Wow, it’s just stunning. It made me miss seeing the Olympic and Cascade mountains everyday.

3. Lori Matsui May 18, 2016 at 11:05 am - Reply

You really captured the strength and presence of the mountains! I also live where we can see the cascade and Olympic mountains on clear days and I would be very interested in a pattern if you ever offer one. I already know just where I would hang it. In fact I would want to make several as gifts! Your care in designing the pattern really comes through.

4. Dar in MO May 18, 2016 at 10:21 pm - Reply

What a beautiful rendition of your mountains. I love the technique you used and the colors were a perfect choice. I hope it brings lots of $$ for QoV. I am very involved with them too, by piecing tops and quilting for them 16 hours a month.

5. Ana Burton May 25, 2016 at 9:01 pm - Reply

Lovely pattern! I love mountains and yours are a perfect example of majestic presence. Well done!

6. Joyce Franklin May 29, 2016 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Amy, your lovely contribution will live at the Piece Works Quilt Shop in Winterset, Iowa, just 3 doors down from the new Iowa Quilt Museum. Now South Iowa has mountains! Thank You, come visit any time. Joyce Franklin and Tony Jacobson.

7. Marj June 4, 2016 at 6:35 am - Reply

Hello Amy. I never leave comments, but thought your quilt was a beautiful piece of art. It felt like the mountains when you looked at it. I saw it last week on the QOVF website, then this morning it came back to mind when I read Psalm 121 (“I lift my eyes toward the mountains; whence shall help come to me? My help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth…”). Thought that was neat. Please do consider creating a pattern. It’s the best of modern quilting. I’ve never paper pieced, but I would try for this. Marj

8. Marj June 4, 2016 at 6:41 am - Reply

Amy, I’m new to leaving comments, but wanted to say your quilt was a beautiful piece of art. I saw it last week on the QOV website and it came back to mind this morning when I read Psalm 121 (“I lift my eyes toward the mountains; whence shall help come to me? My help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”). Thought that was neat. Please consider making it a pattern. It’s the best of modern quilting. I’ve never tried paper piecing, but would try it for this. Marj

9. Marj June 4, 2016 at 6:44 am - Reply

Amy,
    Apologies for the repeat. You can see I wasn’t kidding about being new to leaving comments. Better make that pattern simple (!). Marj

10. Renee Nicovich June 13, 2016 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Beautiful! I would love to have this pattern!

11. Anita June 15, 2016 at 12:50 am - Reply

I’d love the pattern as well.

12. Rhiannon January 4, 2017 at 11:01 am - Reply

I have a question – i’m new to quilting – would this pattern be really hard for a beginner?!

Thanks!