Easy Mitered Corners!

Start with a small mitered corner application to gain confidence in making excellent mitered corners every time!

To start gather notions and fabric scraps to practice :
DSC_0139

DSC_0116

My square measures 8 1/2 inches, and the 4 strips are 1 1/2 x 12 inches. Take special note here: when making mitered corners your strip length needs to be much longer than your square, the wider your strip, the more length you need. Usually I add the strip width times two, plus an extra inch or two, for peace of mind. When I was doing this the first time on my tree skirt, I ended up making my first round of border half the width to accommodate the miter — it wasn’t long enough for the width.

On with the instructions:

DSC_0140

pin your strips, center on your square, on opposite sides

DSC_0141

Sew with 1/4″ seam — I don’t reinforce my seams at all, it may be helpful to pull out a few stitches when setting the miter.

DSC_0142

I press open here to cut down on bulk

DSC_0143

pin and sew opposite sides borders to the square

DSC_0144

Press open again

DSC_0146

Fold your square on the diagonal, this works for rectangles too, but you would need to do one corner at a time.

DSC_0147

Match up your seams, making sure that the corner is lying flat without excess, and pin

DSC_0148

This is how I pin, you don’t want the seams to move, and you need your tails to be secure as well

DSC_0149

You can do both corners at once, just flip it over for the opposite corner

DSC_0150

Next line up your ruler on the diagonal, and mark the sewing line on the tail, like so —

DSC_0151

And sew on the line that you drew

DSC_0153

Open up your square to check your corner

DSC_0154

If you are pleased, trim to 1/4″ seam allowance, and press, if it’s not quite right just pull out your stitches and try again. Take your time lining things up :)

Now go back and fold in the opposite diagonal and repeat

DSC_0156

I like to trim up the extended seam allowances

DSC_0157

You should have 4 of these!

Mitered Corner Tutorial

So far I’ve used this technique for my tree skirt, and a few swap blocks. I envision throw pillows on the couch as the perfect project for mitered corners. Maybe that will be next :)

I think that’s everything! Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them :) Have a great weekend!

Mitered Corners can be added to quilts and small projects for a great finish! Learn how to add miter corners to your next project! - AmysCreativeSide.com

ETA 5/20/2015

This post is six years old and still relevant to many of you! If you are looking for more instruction, I recently made a video with Interweave. Along with Mitered Corners, there’s tons of info on basic quiltmaking skills, and timesaving tips. Check out the DVD or downloadable video HERE.

By | 2017-07-25T11:35:05+00:00 April 3rd, 2009|Tutorial|50 Comments

1. Stephanie April 3, 2009 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy. I’ll bookmark it and perhaps I’ll actually do mitered corners sometime. I have done them in the past…many years ago…with great frustration! I shall not give up.

2. Erin April 3, 2009 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tutorial! I was kind of envisioning this was the way you made them, but this makes it so much clearer! : )

3. jacquie April 3, 2009 at 12:40 pm - Reply

thanks amy…i’m going to try this for sure…i’ve mitered a few borders, but i like your method better.

4. Michaela April 3, 2009 at 1:50 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I thought I knew how to do it, but I didn’t.Thanks

5. Sarah Pead April 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm - Reply

This is a great tutorial. It will definitely go into my bookmarks so I can use it as a reference in the future. :)

6. amylouwho April 3, 2009 at 2:23 pm - Reply

awesome! I really want to try this on the sashing for my bird quilt! Thank you so much!

7. Jackie April 3, 2009 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Great tutorial! There are so many ways to miter and I love your way. I will have to try this one, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

8. Sherri April 3, 2009 at 5:01 pm - Reply

This is a terrific tutorial…I’ve already bookmarked it! My grandmother showed me this method many years ago…but I had forgotten the specifics…so thank you!

9. SaraRules April 3, 2009 at 5:12 pm - Reply

Fabulous! Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I’ve always been intimidated by mitered corners, but you make it look so easy!

10. Amy April 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm - Reply

What excellent work Amy. Thank you. The pictures really explain what you’re doing.

11. Fiona April 4, 2009 at 4:07 am - Reply

Excellent tutorial Amy – Thanks for taking the time – You make it look so easy :) I am going to try it very soon

12. sewtakeahike April 4, 2009 at 5:57 am - Reply

OMG Amy! I’ve never seen mitered corners done this way but now I certainly have to try it! Thank-you for this tut!! I’m seriously excited about your mitered corners!

13. em's scrapbag April 4, 2009 at 6:51 am - Reply

Thanks I have always wanted to learn how to do that. I have bookmarked it. I look forward to giving it a try.

14. Tipper April 4, 2009 at 6:59 am - Reply

A great tutorial Amy!! Almost makes me think even I could do it :)

15. audreypawdrey April 4, 2009 at 7:03 am - Reply

Thanks for the tutorial! I am going to have to try this. I have always wondered how to go about doing it.

16. Fulvia Luciano, artist April 4, 2009 at 4:59 pm - Reply

I have never seen this explained so clearly; on top of that, you did a great job with the step-by-step photos and instructions. Congratulations!

17. Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Fabulous, Babe!!! great photography; I think I could actually follow your directions if my head was tracking properly…it’s full of oil painting right now and EASTER!!!!Love, hugs and kisses, Mom

18. Artfulife April 5, 2009 at 3:26 pm - Reply

What a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

19. another amy April 7, 2009 at 8:48 am - Reply

Great job with the tutorial, Amy. I love the look of mitred corners, but I’m always scared to try. :) You have given me confidence.

20. sheppy April 8, 2009 at 9:40 pm - Reply

brilliant explanation, I was wondering how to do that (and what it was called)!

21. Joan April 9, 2009 at 12:29 am - Reply

Thanks for the great tutorial. That sure is so much easier than the way I have been doing mitered corners!
    Have a nice day!

22. Niesz Vintage Home April 9, 2009 at 6:08 am - Reply

Wow! Great tutorial.
    Thanks so much for the easy step-by-step instructions!

Kimberly :)

23. Rebekah April 12, 2009 at 6:29 pm - Reply

thanks for posting this! This is definitely one tutorial that I’ve never mastered :)

24. Marrdy April 12, 2009 at 6:51 pm - Reply

When I try this I will have to print this out and follow step by step.

25. Millie April 23, 2009 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy for a great tutorial…will have to give it a try.

26. Ella since Osix April 26, 2009 at 10:58 am - Reply

Oh.. tanks so much for sharing.

27. Anonymous September 13, 2009 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Thank you so much. I am making a quilt for a baby shower gift. And I want it to look extra nice. The pictures really help.

28. TJ and Whitnee February 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm - Reply

I don't ever miter my corners because I've never really known how! So thanks for this tutorial! I hope you don't mind if I share a link to this tutorial on sewwhattoday.blogspot.com on March 4!

29. ByTheSea March 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Thank you so much…. awesome.

30. theodora March 20, 2010 at 5:38 am - Reply

very nice and easy to follow.

31. pinksuedeshoe March 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm - Reply

That is brilliant, thank you so much. This is like a gillion times easier than the last mitered corner project I did. Thank you thank you!

32. Mary November 5, 2010 at 4:23 pm - Reply

I totally think I can do this! Thanks so much!

33. Sharon January 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm - Reply

I love the tutorial on mitered corners. Will give it try and let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the tutorials.
    Thanks Sharon

34. Brenda June 25, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

This is the easiest way to do mitered corners I have done and I have tried many. I use the formula of “Measure the length of your square plus the width of your boarder doubled”.

35. Dina June 25, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

Great tutorial. I now will conquer the dreaded mitred corner. Your pdf of instructions will not print. Would like to have a print out – easier to follow at the sewing machine. Thank you.

36. maria jose de milano February 24, 2013 at 8:53 am - Reply

excelente tutorial es muy bueno saber elaborar las costura perfectas por eso aprendo de las mejores, gracias por compartir saludos desde venezuela……..

37. Rose April 1, 2013 at 7:46 am - Reply

the trouble I have is keeping corners mitered while hemming border. Mitered corners look ‘so’ professional and I have so much trouble with them. I guess they’re so simple ; they’re hard.

38. Esther F. April 6, 2013 at 10:03 am - Reply

Thank you very much for this great tutorial! I just tried it for the first time and I am very happy with the results!
    Esther

39. Friederike April 15, 2013 at 1:38 am - Reply

Many thanks for this great tutorial! Found it on pinterest and it will help me a lot in all my future sewing projects ;-)
    Have a fabulous week!
    Friederike

40. Dyan March 16, 2014 at 6:38 am - Reply

Thank you very clear great tutorial !

41. Gillian April 20, 2014 at 6:01 pm - Reply

formula for strip lengths is length of side plus 2 x width of strip plus 2x seam allowance. Eg IG block is 6″ and strip will be finished width 1 inch (I.e. 1 and 1/4 cut) then length is 6 + 2 + 1/2 = 8 1/2″

42. carmen June 30, 2014 at 5:28 am - Reply

muchas gracias ,

43. rosalie baylous July 8, 2014 at 6:15 am - Reply

that was very clear thanks

44. Rosiane December 28, 2014 at 5:01 am - Reply

Very nice !!! I’m from Brazil and had learned the cantomitrado in other ways, but your way is great !! I will train. Your works are wonderful !! Congratulations !!!

45. Dubbie January 31, 2015 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this great tutorial.. I’ve never done miter corners but tonight I tried it and it was so easy.. Found it on Pintrest. Thanks again!

46. Lisa Peden April 5, 2015 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Both my son and my youngest daughter are tall–and sleep on XL Twin beds. Unfortunately, ready-made XL twin sheets are extremely hard to find. When I do find them, they’re ugly or plain. I’ve attempted to make twin XL fitted sheets out of nice fabric–but the sheets have been too short on the sides–or the corners didn’t fit right. After reading this tutorial yesterday, I started to wonder if I could use your method for making mitered corners on my XL Twin fitted sheets. What do you think? Thank you for posting this, btw. I really appreciate it! <3

Lisa Peden

47. Olivia February 1, 2016 at 2:58 pm - Reply

So easy and I was even too lazy to read the whole thing. I myself tend to be a look at the pictures and wing it kind of gal. Came out beautifully. Thank you so much for teaching this method.

48. Olivia February 1, 2016 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Forgot to mention it was on a king size quilt with a 4″ border.

49. rose August 10, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Hi Amy,
    great post, thanks.

I assume this technique will work with borders?? Have you done it?
    Thanks

• Amy August 15, 2017 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Absolutely it works for borders! I scaled down my sample so it would be easy to photograph :) I’ve used this method many times.