The Splendid Sampler Block :: Simple Surprises

I’ve mentioned The Splendid Sampler a few times here, and I’m glad to share my block with all of you today! When I looked at designing a 6″ block, my initial thought was to keep it simple and yet add movement. Many months later, and many complicated blocks too – I’m sure many of you will find this block very simple for your now advanced skill set, but I hope you will have fun making it. I made a couple of them recently, and would love to make more!

The Splendid Sampler - Block 30 by Amy Ellis - AmysCreativeSide.com

As you can see the block is versatile and will be fantastic no matter your color palette for your quilt!

The Splendid Sampler - Block 30 by Amy Ellis - AmysCreativeSide.com

In this one I simplified the color palette and used more background fabric.

The Splendid Sampler - Block 30 by Amy Ellis - AmysCreativeSide.com

Having the grey in the points, makes this version a little more directional. I think the block could make a great scrap quilt, adding bits and pieces in the small blocks as the perfect scraps land in my scrap bin.

The Splendid Sampler - Block 30 by Amy Ellis - AmysCreativeSide.comWhen I mocked up a quilt top, I found a few “simple surprises” in the blocks – what shapes do you see?

Be sure to get your free pattern at The Splendid Sampler, and to tag me on social media so I can check out your block!

Happy Quilting –

By | 2017-02-06T09:17:44+00:00 May 26th, 2016|books, pattern|7 Comments

1. pat sloan May 26, 2016 at 7:34 am - Reply

I definitely want to make a scrap version! Thank you for being part of our project Amy!

2. Mayca May 26, 2016 at 8:02 am - Reply

Thanks to me, I love your sampler, is both simple and fun to do. Kisses from Barcelona

3. Martina May 26, 2016 at 9:08 am - Reply

Hi Amy,
    it was so fun to sew your block, very relaxing, just the right thing to sew on a beautiful sunny day! Thank you so much! Martina

4. Sandy May 26, 2016 at 11:09 am - Reply

Thanks Amy! Needed a break from the paper piecing, so off to pick fabrics and sew this block on a rainy Sat. morn! Too hot and humid to be out this afternoon….so maybe I’ll sew two. One in green and one in blue. Love the way this block looks sewn into a quilt. Gives the block a real different look! Thanks for being a part of The Splendid Sampler sew-along!

5. Nikki Moshier May 26, 2016 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Ahhh, I love the block. Thanks for designing it for us.

6. Clare June 5, 2016 at 3:07 pm - Reply

It’s a lovely block design, thank you

7. […] Surprises is block 30 of The Splendid Sampler and was designed by Amy Ellis. She also designed a 5-page quilt planner that’s handy for figuring out how much fabric you […]