Pocket Pixies Quilt Top

Hey there!  Yesterday I finally had a chance to sit and sew — and it felt so good!

The methodical process, of piecing, pressing and making decisions as I work is like magic.  And I never tire of the process.  I know you can relate to that idea.  Now my little ones are gathering around, to ask if they can sew as I pull out my machine.  Yesterday, I had to tell them that I needed to sew, and they would have a chance later this week!  I’m so happy that they are asking though!

This is a commissioned quilt that I’m working on for a new baby.  Actually for now, I’ll be waiting to hear the baby’s name and birthday, so I can embroider the special details into the quilt top, then quilt it.  I decided that I will embroider around the sleeping pixie, in the bottom right of the quilt top, now to find the right shade of purple floss!

The soft colors and cute little pixies, are so sweet for a baby girl.  The top measures 40″x60″, I used 4 1/2″ squares with the border stripe between each row of pieced squares.

Speaking of cuties!  Mine lost her first tooth on Saturday –

Her smile is so forced after showing everyone, she had been working on pulling it out for a couple days.  And was so proud to show off the empty spot!

What are you working on this week?

[adrotate group=”2″]
By | 2017-02-06T09:18:34+00:00 July 25th, 2011|My kids, work in progress|16 Comments

1. Lynne July 25, 2011 at 6:30 am - Reply

That’s a cute baby quilt.

I’m still plodding away on my “Country Houses” quilt. I’m now at the point where I can join my pre-quilted blocks!

2. ga447 July 25, 2011 at 6:31 am - Reply

I have been traveling by car last week and I love it when I see your book in LQS – I was in Pella, IA and your book was staring at me right at the counter. I yelled out I know Amy – even though we have not met I feel I know you from your blogs.

3. Melinda July 25, 2011 at 6:49 am - Reply

I’m working on something really similar, at least in design. The blocks between my long strips are pinwheels in alternating colors, though. I have one color set done and will be cutting the fabric for the second one today (had to find some notes I made first).

4. Mickey Kelly White July 25, 2011 at 7:19 am - Reply

very very cute ! what fabric line is this ? it is just so C U T E !!! I am finishing up some baby things for a baby girl born in June and working on binding(s) and fininshing up things ! yay ! hope I stay motivated this week ! Can’t wait to see your quilt all done !

5. vicki July 25, 2011 at 7:27 am - Reply

Cute quilt! I am going to hand stitch a binding down today and work on some FWQAL blocks, too. Then work on getting backing figured out for the next quilt I’m quilting. :)

6. Lynette July 25, 2011 at 7:28 am - Reply

Haha!! What awesome fabric. I love it.

7. Isabelle July 25, 2011 at 7:30 am - Reply

I am working on a small quilts (13″ X 15″) to hang in my grandchildren play room. It is a Spotty Hen and Cat in wool felts, design by Rachel T. Pellan, Rachel’s of Greenfield.

The baby quilt you are making is so sweet, what fabric line is it?
    I love to see it when all finished.

8. Wendy July 25, 2011 at 7:50 am - Reply

Love that sweet quilt! Looks like something I could manage…except maybe for the patience required for the fussy cutting! :))

I am going to **hopefully** start cutting for my next quilt from your book. Can’t decide between “Modern V” or my absolute favorite “Modern Maze”.

9. Angie in So CA July 25, 2011 at 10:16 am - Reply

Cute quilt – just goes to show the fabric does make the quilt. I’m working on two ufos this month. You can see one here:

Wonder what the tooth fairy gave her?

10. Michelle July 25, 2011 at 11:34 am - Reply

I love the quilt. Congratulations on your daughter losing her first tooth. I am working on some bed sized quilts this week. I finally figured what I wanted to do.

11. Beth July 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Such an adorable quilt! And your little one is so precious showing off her lost tooth…it tickles me to see how proud they always are. I am working on binding on one quilt and finishing a quilt top on another. Smiles~Beth

12. Sara July 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm - Reply

Precious fabric Amy!! Haven’t seen that line yet:)

The embroidery will add such a nice touch:)

13. BadlandsQuilts July 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm - Reply

What a super cute quilt!

14. Suzanne July 26, 2011 at 7:05 am - Reply

Love the quilt and the holey smile!

15. heather@tripleblessing July 26, 2011 at 9:07 am - Reply

So cute!! The quilt and the grin :)

16. Gone Camping! | Amy's Creative Side August 29, 2011 at 6:03 am - Reply

[…] home I’ve been working on finishing up a commissioned quilt for a new baby!  I’ll share the finished project, once it’s complete and shipped off […]