Color Wheel Project

My color wheel inspiration post started me on an adventure! As I usually buy fabric per project, I don’t have a stash to collect color samples from, so I went searching for fabric online. My quick realization was that I could not afford to purchase the fabric needed, even for a small quilt. So my next thought was floss! I found a group of embroidery hoops for cheap on ebay, with a 16″ hoop in it, and snatched it up. I searched for color wheel groups of floss online, but that is really hard to do on the computer.So I happened to go to JoAnn’s the weekend it was on sale, and spent around $12 for a full color spectrum in floss, and a color wheel! An actual color wheel has 12 colors typically, I added a few variations of the colors to stretch my idea. I’m pretty excited about this, the texture is amazing! I love having a project for tv time, especially this time of year, as the nights are longer, and the snuggle cozy time is here. I used the full set of 6 strands, and just did what ever stitch I wanted to! Joe had to talk me down from a less random version and I’m so glad he did! There’s a few spots I would like to fill in a little more, and make a few of the transitions less noticeable. But overall I’m super happy with it. I’m still trying to decide if it will stay on the hoop to be hung, or if I should attempt to make it into something more. I’m open to suggestions if genius strikes you :)

Did I mention that it’s 16 inches across? It is a big hoop! I have a couple of smaller hoops that I’m thinking about doing another version with too, maybe just 12 colors this time. . . I’ll let you know when that happens!

I also thought I should mention — Hand Embroidery Network has been posting a stitch a day if you are interested in learning to stitch. They have great pictures and instructions. I would also say that learning is best with a needle and thread in hand :)

So what do you think!? Is this something you might try? Maybe we could stitch together? I’d be happy to share DMC numbers if you are interested.

I gotta run, load the dishwasher and get ready for the evening with the family. I hope you and yours are blessed today~

—————————————-
Shop with Amy
Email me

Bookmark and Share

By | 2017-11-17T09:14:47+00:00 October 20th, 2009|embroidery|69 Comments

1. jabeybaby October 20, 2009 at 2:02 pm - Reply

That is so pretty! What a neat idea!

2. SaraRules October 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Fabulous project! I love what you came up with!

3. Thimbleanna October 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Wow Amy — that's really cool! What if you quilted it and made a little wallhanging for your room?

4. Heather October 20, 2009 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Love this – what a super creative idea!!!

5. highwaycottage October 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm - Reply

What a great project. I'd leave it in the hoop and hang that on the wall. I just did my first ever chain stitching last night. I've only ever done cross stitch beofr, so it was nice to learn something different. I'll post a pic on my blog later.

6. Marie October 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm - Reply

It is gourgeous. What if you made blocks and then put them all together to make a quilt. I would love if you shared the DMC numbers. or if we could all make a project toghether.

7. Cheryl Arkison October 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm - Reply

That is so fricken cool!
    And I vote that you keep it in the hoop. That presentation contributes to the overal impact.

8. Cheryl Arkison October 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm - Reply

That is so fricken cool!

9. Cheryl Arkison October 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm - Reply

That is so fricken cool!

10. SewCalGal October 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Very cool. I also appreciate the insight on the stitch a day site.

SewCalGal

11. DeeRoo October 20, 2009 at 3:42 pm - Reply

I say EAT it!! Oh….guess it isn't the world's biggest sprinkle donut!! You can see I am hungry!!

That is so cool…I vote for keep it in the hoop but sandwich it with batting and backing and quilt something really cool in the middle with white thread!! It would be really neat if you could find a bigger hoop and quilt the outside edge too….oh…the possibilites!!

At first glance I thought you had used beads…..oh….beads….that would look really cool with your floss too!!! A little sparkle!! See…endless possibilities!

12. call me crazy October 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Very cool! I think it needs some quilting too~ I like DeeRoo's ideas. :-)

13. MomBrose October 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm - Reply

It's beautiful! How about a cool pillow with rouched sides?? :D

14. Beth October 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm - Reply

This would make an *amazing* round pillow, with a pieced back!

I love to stitch, too, and I have been really enjoying the stitch-a-day over at HEN!

15. jlk October 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm - Reply

What a cool idea!

16. Kerri October 20, 2009 at 4:37 pm - Reply

it is beautiful!! i love it!!

17. ginadk71 October 20, 2009 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Love your idea, I think it looks great in the hoop. But a pillow would be cool too. I would love the DMC numbers if you are willing to share. Thanks for all the inspiration.
    gina
    ginadk71@yahoo.com

18. Terriaw October 20, 2009 at 4:45 pm - Reply

This is such a great way to display the color wheel, especially if your on a budget, money-wise and time-wise! I love how it looks on the embroidery hoop. I would love to try this.

19. Amber October 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Wow Amy – genius and it's absolutely gorgeous too!!

20. Sherri October 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I love this! I really want to do a color wheel too…and this is just a terrific idea!

21. Sweet P October 20, 2009 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Simply stunning! I love it.

22. Jackie October 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm - Reply

Amy, that is just fabulous. I think you should do some patchwork around it, make it a wall hanging!!

23. SewAmy October 20, 2009 at 5:51 pm - Reply

wow, and omg Amy. It is so cool look. I just want to touch it.

24. sclangs October 20, 2009 at 6:48 pm - Reply

WOW! Amazing! Inspiring actually. I thought my cross stitch talent was going to go to waste! I might have to break out some of the floss that is hanging around in my craft area to try one of these! In my Spare Time that is! :)

25. Vicki W October 20, 2009 at 6:58 pm - Reply

That looks fantastic!

26. Andrea October 20, 2009 at 7:27 pm - Reply

That is so cool Amy! Wow! I think it would be neat to do a few variations in smaller – like the colour wheel in pastels, the colour wheel in shades.

This would make a really cute gumdrop type pillow.
    So neat!

27. MotherMotherOcean October 20, 2009 at 7:44 pm - Reply

I want to run my fingers over it.

28. Mikol October 20, 2009 at 8:13 pm - Reply

What a great project, and yes, perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing the stitch a day site.

29. Purple Paisley Patch October 20, 2009 at 9:13 pm - Reply

Your colour wheel is beautiful, I love it. I'd love to know the threads you used. I'd either keep it in the hoop or turn it into some kind of wallhanging to hang in your craft area for reference and inspiration. Thanks for sharing your creation.
    Kelly :-)

30. Dena October 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm - Reply

I love your color wheel. My first thought, before reading your post in it's entirety, was to make a couple of smaller color wheels and applique a collection of your color wheels to make a wall hanging, similar to Jane Sassaman's Sun and Moon quilt. Great job!

31. wishes, true and kind October 20, 2009 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Incredible! I love the texture of it! So creative!

32. Natalia October 20, 2009 at 11:07 pm - Reply

I LOVE this! I love the random stitches! Very very cute!!

33. Kucki68 October 20, 2009 at 11:09 pm - Reply

It looks great, wonderful idea.

34. Lara October 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm - Reply

Amy! Wowser! What to say?! What to say?! This is adorable. I love the colours, the pattern and the texture you've created! This definitely needs to be seen and enjoyed every single day! Do you have a round table that this could become the centre piece of? LOVE!!

35. Mrs Moen October 21, 2009 at 12:00 am - Reply

That is wonderful; what a great idea! I'm impressed how you managed to keep the white fabric so clean through all that stitching.

36. Lis October 21, 2009 at 12:56 am - Reply

Thanks for the link to HEN, it's brilliant. Love your colour wheel too.

37. Catherine October 21, 2009 at 2:19 am - Reply

Very cool Amy. I love the randomness of the stitches. I think I could do that. Has it taken long??

38. upstateLisa October 21, 2009 at 4:41 am - Reply

wow! gorgeous! lots of work!

39. Julia October 21, 2009 at 6:12 am - Reply

Fabulous! And yes, a little quilting would be great in the center and throughout the piece.

40. Rafael's Mum October 21, 2009 at 6:35 am - Reply

Love your wheel! I have not done any embroidery apart from crosstich. Just bought the doodle stitching book and am hoping to learn a couple more stitches and make some things. I have been inspired by several blogs with lovely mugwarmers and mugmats with lovely designs. So funnily enough.. I am right there stitching along with you!

41. Beth October 21, 2009 at 6:50 am - Reply

Amy this is absolutely incredible! It is so beautiful! This could be adapted in a smaller size to teach color theroy in a way that uses visual and kinesthitic teaching methods.

42. Jeanne Turner McBrayer October 21, 2009 at 6:56 am - Reply

Using floss to make your color wheel was a wonderful idea. If you ever need fabric scraps, just let me know…I am overflowing!

If it was mine, I would take it out of the hoop, applique to a black background, quilt, and then add lots of shiny beads/buttons/crystals to fill in the "white" areas. Of course, that would add more to your cost, but it would dazzle!

43. Tonya October 21, 2009 at 7:18 am - Reply

I love this idea. Embroidery is something I have always wanted to learn. Your color wheel is beautiful.

44. Stacy (S.E.W.Butterfly) October 21, 2009 at 8:05 am - Reply

Awesome project! I'll have to try it!

45. Anina October 21, 2009 at 9:01 am - Reply

Beautiful Amy! As an avid DMC collector, this is very inspirational to me.

46. live a colorful life October 21, 2009 at 9:20 am - Reply

This is amazing…amazing! I'm going to send this link to my friend who often posts about things that are "one in every color." She will flip! She is getting married in May and her bouquet and bridesmaids' bouquets are all made out of colorful felt and lots of embroidery stitches so she will really appreciate the "stitch a day."

47. Carrie P. October 21, 2009 at 10:07 am - Reply

I like your color wheel alot. A very neat idea.

48. mom October 21, 2009 at 11:12 am - Reply

What a cool idea! I think this would be a good art project kind of thing for my girls as it would also introduce them to more stitchery :-)

Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

49. mom October 21, 2009 at 11:18 am - Reply

Ohhhh, the stitch a day link is really cool! I love it!

Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

50. Jessica October 21, 2009 at 1:29 pm - Reply

I absolutely love that !!!!!

51. Amy October 21, 2009 at 4:15 pm - Reply

That's fantastic! I've been wanting to make a color wheel project too but I also buy fabric for particular projects and don't have a stash of all the right colors to draw from. What a great, affordable solution!

52. Sew It Up! October 21, 2009 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Very creative and very beautiful!! I vote for leaving it on the hoop and hang it up. It's doesn't need anything else. It can stand on it's own.

53. Anonymous October 21, 2009 at 8:36 pm - Reply

Beautiful, Hon! Ombre style is where you wave the colors into each other to where you can't see a distinct line (like painting a wall; or a color wash with watercolors) that's kind of what you were looking for; looks great like it is; maybe save the lack of lines (deliniation? sp?) for another project…pillow top, hoop, any of the ideas are great. love you, Mom

54. VeeV October 21, 2009 at 9:36 pm - Reply

really .. really .. really .. WoW!!!

55. dillpickle October 21, 2009 at 11:48 pm - Reply

Wow. I LOVE it!! I'm very tempted to add it to my list of projects that must be done soon!! Lovely work.

56. Sonja♥ October 22, 2009 at 7:22 am - Reply

I love to stitch! And your color wheel is amazing!!!
    Waow:)

57. Cristin October 22, 2009 at 7:31 am - Reply

Amy, WELL DONE! Very creative colorwheel! I actually don't own one (yet) and this is a fabulous idea!!! I've also never tried hand-stitcheing anything substantial… crochet seems to take up my tv-watching time. BUT now I may have to try it!! Love how it turned out!

58. Ruth October 22, 2009 at 8:35 am - Reply

Wow~that is spectacular. What a wonderfully, creative idea.

Ruth

59. amy smart October 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Amy this is SO cool! I love it!

Have you seen the color wheel quilt by Purl Patchwork? I've always wanted to try that too. Thanks for the inspiration!

60. Aimee October 23, 2009 at 9:47 am - Reply

Very cool! I love having handwork to sit in front of the TV. I just may have to give this a try!!

61. Rebekah October 28, 2009 at 10:06 am - Reply

beautiful! I love it! I have wanted to make a color wheel quilt for quite a while and I think it looks great as an embroidery piece

62. amandajean October 28, 2009 at 12:19 pm - Reply

that's really fun! your inspiration photo for the color wheel got my wheels turning. i'm hoping that i have the entire quilt top done soon.

63. tasha October 29, 2009 at 9:08 am - Reply

i found you from the flickr hand embroidery network group. this is really amazing! have you thought about getting it framed? you know how some do for heirloom items? my mom did an antique doily once and also a baby dress. they looked really cool!

64. eriven November 10, 2009 at 11:33 pm - Reply

That's an awesome idea! Off to raid my thread stash :)

65. sewkatiedid December 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm - Reply

This is beautiful. I always have my colorwheel close at hand.

66. Tamara April 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm - Reply

So awesome. Good job. The talent the living God gives to the children of men. Praise him in the name of His son. amen

67. Anastasia April 11, 2010 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Ok, I LOVE this! I have been searching online tonight for a tutuorial on how to make a quilted color wheel and your blog pops up…then I keep looking and it pops up again! I would love to know the DMC colors you used for this project! I think I need to make one…or two.

68. Cindy Pilkington May 29, 2014 at 11:11 am - Reply

I just found your post 5-29-14) and wondered what you did with this delightful color wheel….hmmmmm.
    You could have made it into a clock and just leave it in the hoop! Let me know what you did if you see this late post! Thanks!

69. […] Embroidery and a color wheel of embroidery […]