Wonderland Blocks

I showed you my stash of Wonderland fabrics, just one week ago.  I got to work and stayed up late sewing – then showed you the start of my project here.  It felt really good to stay up late and sew, just because, not because I was trying to meet a deadline!  Over the weekend I spent hours sewing – I added another round:

And finished up the blocks :

There’s a total of 40 blocks and they are 16″!  I was having so much fun making the blocks I didn’t stop to think how big it was getting to be!  I added Kona, Bella, and Crossweave fabrics that I’ve had on hand and I thought combined well.

While these blocks might be considered finished, I’m planning to chop them up into quarters, and put them back together again!

What do you think?

Wonky quarters, or even quarters?

I’m still thinking it through and would love your input!

I hope you are having a great day ~ Amy

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:35+00:00 June 7th, 2011|work in progress|41 Comments

1. Suzanne June 7, 2011 at 6:09 am - Reply

You could do a double sided quilt with one side as they are and the other side with them cut up. No matter your choice, I’m sure it will be great.

2. Melissa Corry June 7, 2011 at 6:11 am - Reply

Personally, I am a huge fan of even quarters, but that is just me :)

3. Karin June 7, 2011 at 6:11 am - Reply

love your blocks! My vote is for even/square quarters :)

4. Melinda June 7, 2011 at 6:13 am - Reply

Adding on to Suzanne’s comment, you could also do the blocks in the center wonky but leave the outside border of blocks regular. Then you could reverse it on the other side.

5. Lisa June 7, 2011 at 6:14 am - Reply

I think even quarters too. They look fabulous. Can’t wait to see what you decide to do.

6. Sara June 7, 2011 at 6:18 am - Reply

I will go with the even quarters. Have FUN!!!

7. Amanda June 7, 2011 at 6:27 am - Reply

They’re so fun, and you had fun making them…so that seems like a wonky kind of a thing. Have fun with it!
    (However, personally I’d probably do even quarters just because I’m way to matchy and symmetrical!…something I think I might need to work on!)

The finished quilt will be great!

8. Judy C in NC June 7, 2011 at 6:28 am - Reply

I feel all-over wonky blocks would add chaos to the quilt, which is already busy. Really liked the idea by Melinda – wonky in the middle and even square on the outside – best of both worlds -this will be a wonderful quilt. Judy C

9. Stray Stitches June 7, 2011 at 6:33 am - Reply

I’m in favor of even quarters but then I’m not a wonky kind of gal :)

10. Karen June 7, 2011 at 6:40 am - Reply

I like them as they are but they would look nice chopped in quarters as well.
    Karen

11. Tanyia June 7, 2011 at 6:50 am - Reply

I think a wonky center and even outside would be awesome!

12. Carla June 7, 2011 at 6:56 am - Reply

They came out great! I say chop them up in quarters and sew them back again. It will give it even more scrappy look.

13. Lynne June 7, 2011 at 6:56 am - Reply

I think the blocks are lovely just as they are. I’m not one for wonky so I’d better keep my opinion to myself! ;-)

14. Carol D. June 7, 2011 at 7:39 am - Reply

I like the quilt as is. But what do I know? Love the colors and random combos.

15. Linda Winters June 7, 2011 at 9:02 am - Reply

The blocks are so beautiful just the way they are! I’m sure that they will be just as pretty however you do it. The colors are wonderful!

16. Amy Newbold June 7, 2011 at 9:19 am - Reply

My vote. . wonky!

17. Barb Colvin June 7, 2011 at 9:21 am - Reply

I agree that the wonky cut might create too much chaos; however, the wonky cut would eliminate the need to match seams. lol

18. Pam June 7, 2011 at 9:25 am - Reply

Hey Amy!
    Nice looking blocks there. I’m voting for wonky…just love those slightly or even wildly askew blocks. No matter what you do to these gorgeous blocks, you end with a wonderful quilt! You CANNOT go wrong.

hugz

19. Jenny Wilding Cardon June 7, 2011 at 9:49 am - Reply

Wonky wonk! :) Beautiful blocks, Amy!

20. Cheryl Arkison June 7, 2011 at 9:51 am - Reply

Are you sewing each block back to its other partners? Or mixing them up? Try the Stack and slash method if mixing them up. So much easier if you want the wonky.
    Everything is so busy that I’m not sure it matters which way you do it.

21. Audrie June 7, 2011 at 10:04 am - Reply

I’d leave the blocks as they were actually! But if I had to choose, I’d go even quarters.

22. Elizabeth @ Don't Call Me Betsy June 7, 2011 at 10:09 am - Reply

I vote even quarters, too. These blocks look fantastic, Amy!!!

23. Helen June 7, 2011 at 10:32 am - Reply

Much as I love wonky I think I’d go for straight this time. Whichever you choose it’s going to look as fantastic as always!

24. BJ June 7, 2011 at 10:49 am - Reply

I vote even quarters. The center block will anchor them somewhat and add a sense of balance to what is already somewhat chaotic with so many fun fabrics mixed up.

25. Nancy D. June 7, 2011 at 11:14 am - Reply

You’ve got enough blocks, do one with wonky and one with straight. I like the big blocks not cut up too. There are so many possibilities! I was wondering what it would look like if you cut each into four triangles and make a windmill. It might be too crazy if you had two blocks mixed together, but maybe adding some solids? They’d make cute pillow covers too. I’m sure whatever you come up with will be lovely. Take care.

26. Tove Leggett June 7, 2011 at 11:20 am - Reply

i’m no help, I’m not sure but i like it so far!

27. Candy June 7, 2011 at 11:43 am - Reply

Wow – these are SO FUN! There is also a lot going on pattern wise…what are you trying to achieve?

28. Teje June 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Hello Amy! All those blocks are really wonderful! But what an exiting idea to cut them again … I would go for even squares because the fabrics are ‘busy’ and colourful. Anyway you’ll do it, it’s going to be fantastic quilt!

29. beth June 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Nice work, Amy! I say even on this one. Although I really don’t think you could wrong either way…happy sewing!
    Smiles
    ~Beth

30. Allie June 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Gorgeous – I vote for wonky quarters!!

31. Rhonda June 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm - Reply

I love them just the way they are!

32. Karen Go June 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm - Reply

I say even squares!

33. Jan June 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm - Reply

Your log cabins are so pretty. You did a great job! Can’t wait to see what you do next.

34. Lynda Brown June 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm - Reply

I vote for wonky….that’s the kind of mood I’ve been in lately. The blocks and quilt turned out so great. I’ve tried to put lots of fabrics together like this and they never look so good.

35. Elise June 8, 2011 at 7:39 am - Reply

Love the festive colors! You are really gifted with your color choices! Love, Mom

36. Natalie June 8, 2011 at 9:09 am - Reply

I vote to wonkify them!:)

37. Karyn Ashley-Smith June 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Quite the debate! I’m going to sit back and see what you decide to do.

38. […] you for your input on the Wonderland blocks! I’m still uncertain, as to what to do – 15 of you said even quarters, 9 wonky, and 6 […]

39. Kari June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I think the even quarters will contain some of the other wonkiness is just the perfect way. Whatever you come up with will surely be great though.

40. Melody Anderson June 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm - Reply

I think even quarters because your blocks are already pretty busy with a lot of different size strips and prints. They are very energetic with all of the color!!! Good luck and Kudos to you for being so industrious!!

41. Myrna Evans December 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm - Reply

You are really gifted with your color choices! Hey Amy! I vote even quarters, too. I think even quarters because your blocks are already pretty busy with a lot of different size strips and prints.