Tribute

I made and patterned Tribute for Curated Quilts, in the spring. Yes, I’m a little behind in posting my finished quilts! My Tribute quilt is included in the Minimalistic issue. I think it fits!

Tribute by Amy Ellis for CuratedQuilts.com

The artist Tribute is in tribute to is Josef Albers. I’ve admired his minimalistic style for a long while, and was excited to have a reason to pattern a quilt in his honor.

For the quilt sample I made it in a small size, (36″ x 36″) but also included two larger sizes in the pattern. It’s such a simple quilt to scale, and this way the maker can make the desired quilt, without math!

My favorite part about Tribute is the quilting. I quilted the quilt with 1/4″ matchstick quilting, and love the texture. I think the quilting was made even better with a facing. Adding a facing gives the illusion of the quilting just falling off the edge of the quilt.

There’s also an entire article about adding facings to your quilts in the same issue. This was my first quilt facing, but definitely not my last! Have you added a facing to your quilts yet?

You can learn more about Curated Quilts and the Minimalistic Issue here.

Happy Quilting –

By | 2018-09-04T14:09:01+00:00 September 4th, 2018|Curated Quilts, finished quilt|9 Comments

1. JP September 5, 2018 at 7:58 am - Reply

Wondering what color thread was used and the weight of the thread? Love the fresh take on quiting!

• Patti September 8, 2018 at 5:53 pm - Reply

I would like to know the weight of the thread also!

• Amy September 10, 2018 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Hi there! I used a medium grey to quilt this piece. It’s a 50wt poly thread – So Fine! by Superior Threads

2. Susan Cone September 5, 2018 at 8:37 am - Reply

Love this quilt and all of your work. You state the Soring issue but they are labeled by number I.e., issue 1. Do you know what number spring is? Hoping it’s not sold out. .

• Susan Cone September 5, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

I have to apologize, I went back and reread your post and found all of the answers. I think I was still waking up when I first read your post. Curated Quilts is ordered.

• Amy September 10, 2018 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Thanks Susan!

3. Warm Quilts September 8, 2018 at 1:31 pm - Reply

My first guess was Frank Stella but the simplicity of your four squares is a great tribute to Josef Albers, and no math required. Love the 1/4″ matchstick quilting – well done!

4. Michele September 11, 2018 at 8:49 pm - Reply

I have long admired Josef Albers and his wife, Anni!
    I thought of Josef the moment I saw your QUILT!
    So wonderful!