6 things to do when your creativity is on vacation!

Being creative is a skill that we cultivate as we use our creativity on a daily basis, the ebb and flow of the creative muse will always be a factor as we create.  Some days are harder than others, and I have listed six different ways to reignite my creativity and find inspiration when I need it!

Explore a new medium

I am a full time quilter, I write patterns and books, design fabric and sew a lot, but recently I’ve taken up painting with acrylic paints. It’s something that I enjoy, it doesn’t have a deadline, and I love exploring new color combinations or mixing paint until I have a stunning new color. I’d also love to explore weaving, but haven’t taken the leap beyond my pinterest board, yet! Experimenting with a new medium has offered it’s own inspiration and lately has influenced fabric choices, and while my quilts are typically very geometric, the paintings are abstract and free.

Put some music on

You might have your go-to station for stitching or painting, but why not try something new, or old! The 80’s reloaded can be the jolt to your creative muse, as much as a relaxed concerto might be to someone else. Ask friends for their favorite tracks, if you need help breaking out of your usual.

Spend 20 minutes cleaning up your creative space

Not the entire thing, just focus on one small area that will have a big impact for you. Cutting mat, sewing machine table, or just refold fabric for 20 minutes. I often find cleaning my desk for 20 minutes can yield similar results too! Making room to make a new mess is sometimes all the motivation my creativity needs! Cleaning up can also allow you to explore new color palettes or cause you to look at your scraps in a new light too. Find the forgotten project, or tool that could inspire the next project.

Take a power nap

When all else fails, sometimes you just need to recharge for a few minutes. Set a time on your phone, and close your eyes. I recommend the couch so that you don’t fall too deeply into sleep, but if your house is busy and you need to lock the door for alone time, do it!

Go for a walk

Our dog Gus is always at the ready for a walk, rain or shine, hot or cold. The fresh air is good for both of us and is often the wake up my creativity needs! Find the beauty of your surroundings, it can be the smallest detail or the amazing view, just don’t miss it.

I hope you are having a creative day!

xo-Amy

By | 2017-02-06T09:17:37+00:00 October 18th, 2016|Inspiration, Sewing Tips!|9 Comments

1. Heather October 18, 2016 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Great ideas!! Personally, I’m a big fan of the speed clean. Something about starting with a clean slate always gets me inspired.
    ~Heather

• Amy October 18, 2016 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Yes! Depending on the day, my 20-minutes turns into two hours, but it’s totally worth it!

2. Liz October 18, 2016 at 1:21 pm - Reply

I’m a fan of the power nap, but don’t have an alarm with a snooze button on it and end up sleeping the afternoon away and then am up 1/2 the night because of the “quick” recharge… lol, I need to get my sewing room reorganized so that I can be more productive and get my quilts and Christmas presents started and finished! Thanks for the boot in the butt so to speak I needed it!

• Amy October 18, 2016 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Ha! Maybe a timer in the kitchen instead :) Just get enough space to get started on your projects today, and work on the rest over the next week, or you might keep avoiding it!

3. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl October 18, 2016 at 11:02 pm - Reply

I really love this post! I definitely agree that going outside is a huge boost for me. I’m definitely going to be sharing this post soon. :)

4. Mid Week Finds – Quilting Jetgirl October 19, 2016 at 1:00 am - Reply

[…] I wanted to share is by Amy @Amy’s Creative Side. She put together a fantastic post on things to do when your creativity is on vacation! I hope I remember to go take a look at her post when I am at a low point of […]

5. Stephanie October 19, 2016 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Cleaning up the space always works for me and going outside always works too. This is a great post. I always say that if you clean out a closet, you’ll solution a problem, even if you weren’t aware you were trying to.

6. Claudia W October 20, 2016 at 9:47 am - Reply

I find cleaning up my space, or should I say “attempting” to clean up my space does it for me. I will come across something that I forgot was there and instantly have to play with it!

7. Tiffany October 20, 2016 at 10:17 am - Reply

I love the music idea! I’m going to try that. I’m ready for some new tunes anyway.