Twisted Log Cabin – from Quilt in a Day

I was contacted by the Quilt in a Day office to see if I would be willing to try out a new ruler that Elenor Burns has produced. I can’t resist a new gadget, and said of course! I collected jelly rolls to use, since it is super jelly roll friendly, and had a blast sewing my blocks up!

Quilt In a Day - AmysCreativeSide.com

Fabrics pictured : Joel Dewberry – Bungalow, and Kona Sandcastle Roll up.

Quilt In a Day - AmysCreativeSide.com

I don’t always love to sew wonky blocks, preferring to have a plan, and decisions made beforehand, but I really enjoyed this project! The pattern booklet has lots of diagrams to show you exactly how to use the ruler, and all the options for layouts. It’s hard to mess this quilt up, and using jelly rolls really takes all the hard work out of the equation – no fabric choices to make, and no yardage to deal with.  Of course, this would be great with any group of fabrics, and a perfect stash buster!

Quilt In a Day - AmysCreativeSide.com

Essentially, you construct a log cabin block around the center, but before adding the next round, the block is trimmed to give it a twist. All using the ruler, so there’s no guess work!

Quilt In a Day - AmysCreativeSide.com

I opted to make a 16 block baby quilt, without borders, and have enough yardage to bind it with the print I used in the center.

Quilt In a Day - AmysCreativeSide.com

I can’t wait to get this quilted up! The different colors in the Kona roll up, add a great bit of dimension to the top with the prints. Now all I need is a new mom to gift it to!

You can learn more about the ruler here, and see more sample quilts as well.

I can’t wait to see your twisted quilts – soon!

PS – Did I mention it’s fast? Less than 24 hours and I had this quilt top!

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:03+00:00 February 19th, 2014|review, work in progress|12 Comments

1. Malini February 19, 2014 at 5:35 am - Reply

I love how the kona solid adds dimension. Great pattern!

2. Gill February 19, 2014 at 8:52 am - Reply

Stunning!
    I love it!

3. Queenie February 19, 2014 at 9:45 am - Reply

I watched El’s video on that ruler and saw an inperson demo too. Looks like great fun!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

4. Quiltcast #25 | Amy's Creative Side February 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm - Reply

[…] out my post about the Wonky Log Cabin ruler – it’s a great fun […]

5. Vicki February 19, 2014 at 6:58 pm - Reply

This a very interesting ‘twist’ on a log cabin! I really like your fabric choices.

6. Debbie Miner February 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm - Reply

That is sooo pretty! I used Dewberry’s colors in some Swoon blocks…like your design

7. Vicki February 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Way cool. The ruler looks great for making uniform but wonky blocks. :)

8. Carli Heinrichs February 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Really unique new tool, this looks really awesome, is the tool usable for smaller blocks too?

9. Michele T February 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm - Reply

This is so cool!!! Makes for a stunning quilt!

10. online psychic April 14, 2014 at 2:46 am - Reply

Friday delivers the first Complete Moon after the Spring Equinox.
    Remember that individual integrity is the basis of
    accurate intimacy and joy. From this web page, you will know
    their founding yr and some history.

Feel free to visit my page – online psychic

11. rea May 22, 2014 at 5:30 am - Reply

It is the best tine to make some plans for
    the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read
    this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or
    suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.

I want to read even more things about it!

12. […] pieced a backing for this quilt I pieced back in February, and loaded everything. I selected a design, and sorted out the details to quilt, and pressed go! I […]