My Favorite Block Quilt Along

Picking a favorite block is like trying to select a favorite quilt for the Festival each time it comes around! I decided that I wanted to find a good basic block, that anyone can make, to share today.

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.comThe Road to Oklahoma is a simple block of squares and half square triangles, and when stacked create a fun pattern of stars and four-patches.  Here’s a quick example, before I show you how to make it!

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.com

This is a star askew, but if you turn the blocks, you have a classic star.
Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.com

Simple and fun results!

To make a Road to Oklahoma block, select a block size and cut the squares.

Cutting 6” block
Print fabric, cut:
6 squares – 2” x 2”
2 squares – 2 1/2” x 2 1/2”
White fabric, cut:
6 squares – 2” x 2”
2 squares – 2 1/2” x 2 1/2”

Cutting 12” block
Print fabric, cut:
6 squares – 3 1/2” x 3 1/2”
2 squares – 4” x 4”
White fabric, cut:
6 squares – 3 1/2” x 3 1/2”
2 squares – 4” x 4”

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.com

1. Mark a diagonal on the wrong side of the 2 larger white squares, pair with an equal sized square in print and sew 1/4” away from both sides the marked line.

2. Cut on the diagonal line, press the seam allowances in one direction, and trim to equal the size of the remaining squares, 2” or 3 1/2” respectively.

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.com
3. Layout the pieces in the block formation. Sew the squares together to form rows, press the seam allowances in opposite directions.

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.com
4. Sew the rows together to complete the block. Press the seam allowances in one direction.

As my kids would say – “Easy peasy!”

I have a pdf of the pattern available here.

ETA – Link for pdf has been updated – sorry for the confusion!

Road to Oklahoma - AmysCreativeSide.comThis is the version I would love to eventually make!

To see more tutorials visit Kim there will be four new blocks posted each month through April!

My Favorite Block Quilt Along - persimondreams.com

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:17+00:00 January 17th, 2013|quilt-along|20 Comments

1. Debbie B Sam January 17, 2013 at 4:22 am - Reply

Oh I love this, And I love the mock up of the colors, I may finally have my “rainbow” quilt figured out with this one…thank you!

2. Kiera January 17, 2013 at 4:44 am - Reply

Great tutorial! It’s alwasy so interesting how different blocks layed out in different ways make such cool combo’s. That’s the fun of quilting!

3. […] Road to Oklahoma from Amy Ellis of AmysCreativeSide […]

4. Michele January 17, 2013 at 7:16 am - Reply

Love the colors. I can’t wait to see it finished.

5. Cindy Sharp January 17, 2013 at 7:30 am - Reply

It is a wonderful block. I have a quilt my mother made with it. It is one of my favorites too.

6. PersimonDreams January 17, 2013 at 7:37 am - Reply

Loving this block! I really like how you show all the possible layouts :)

Thanks for joining in on the fun!

7. Teje January 17, 2013 at 8:01 am - Reply

Beautiful block, Amy! Thank you for inspiration!

8. Sheila January 17, 2013 at 8:57 am - Reply

Made a whole quilt of this block a few years back, love the lopsided star.

9. Queenie Believe January 17, 2013 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Wow this is an awesome block and great tutorial!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

10. Flying Blind January 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm - Reply

So simple and so excellent!

11. krisTMJ January 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Love the block. At first I think it is very traditional but it looks fresh and modern. I love the way you can change up the skew of the block.

12. Shari January 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm - Reply

Just shows how an old favourite can have a new look with fresh modern fabrics – thanks for sharing the layouts, not always easy to visualise.

13. Diane January 18, 2013 at 6:23 pm - Reply

I love this block. Is it supposed to be 12.5 unfinished or 12. finished? Mine ended up 12.25 ha!!

14. Jennifer January 20, 2013 at 7:11 am - Reply

Great block with great layout designs. Would look great in a number of different colour combos.

15. Elnora January 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm - Reply

Love your block! Thanks for providing the pdf. Think I’ll try sewing this by hand, as I’m keen to improve my hand sewing. Your style is lovely!

16. Tracy January 29, 2013 at 10:56 am - Reply

I love it. So simple (looks it) too. Going to try this asap!

17. Nicole January 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm - Reply

My guild is starting a four-patch exchange, and I’ll be signing up for it so that I can make a scrap version of this pattern.

18. Marcia Wachuta March 14, 2013 at 7:25 am - Reply

This is a very late “Thank You” to you for sharing the Road to Oklahoma Block! When I went to the block for today — it hit me that I haven’t thanked everyone for sharing their blocks with Kim for the My Favorite Block Quilt Along! I love this quilt along! Thanks so much!

19. sbobet September 12, 2013 at 11:31 pm - Reply

For instance, coffee shops have menus of brown color or shades of the same hue in order to bring the atmosphere of the cafe and set it in the menu. Whereas, a Japanese or Chinese restaurant would make a more colorful menu that uses images that reflect their culture and their food – since their dishes include various colors. This blog will be showing you some of the most amazing menu designs for your use.I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!

20. Judy January 9, 2015 at 4:43 pm - Reply

I made this quilt for a family I was visiting in Oklahoma City for Christmas. I had never been to Oklahoma before. They were thrilled with this beautiful pattern. Thank you for your help. I used your pattern and it was a great success!!