Featuring Charlotte — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Hi all – today’s featured quilter is Charlotte! Charlotte blogs her creativity at Displacement Activity, and was the winner of Favorite Throw Quilt in the recent festival.  I hope you enjoy getting to know Charlotte better —
1. When did you begin quilting?
I learned to sew when I was a child, but only started quilting ten years ago when my daughter was a baby.
2. Why do you quilt?
There are so many reasons! I quilt because I love to create, and fabric is such a wonderful medium. Sewing helps keep me sane, and I love that the end result gives so much comfort. I also love to be surrounded by handmade things — they really make the house cosy.
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Measure twice, cut once. I wish I always remembered to do this.

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt (above)?
My quilt was made using Oakshott shot cottons which are so beautiful and practically glow. I wanted to make something that would showcase the amazing colours without the distraction of too much structure, so opted for improv piecing of randomly cut strips. There was a lot of pressing and starch involved in trying to get some of the curves to lie flat!
5. Do you sew other things?
I also like to sew bags and pouches, as well as pillows and other home accessories.
—–
Thanks for sharing Charlotte!  I love being surrounded by handmade too – I spent yesterday on the couch with a couple favorite quilts.
Have a great weekend friends!
By | 2017-02-06T09:18:21+00:00 August 31st, 2012|Featured Quilter|22 Comments

1. Flying Blind August 31, 2012 at 1:23 am - Reply

Charlotte is brilliant (and as mad as a box of frogs!) x

2. Charlotte August 31, 2012 at 2:35 am - Reply

Thanks Amy! What a lovely start to my day :-D

3. Susan Mallery August 31, 2012 at 6:12 am - Reply

Your quilts are lovely! I especially love the quilt festival winner. I can see why it won! The fabrics do look like they glow, but its your design that lets the fabrics truly shine. Beautiful!

4. Liz DandeliondD August 31, 2012 at 6:19 am - Reply

Charlotte and her fantastic makes ROCK.
    … and don’t tell her this but she is one of people I find most inspirational around our wonderful quilting community.
    She is so funny too.
    That improv winning quilt is sublime, but then so is everything that she creates.

5. Jeannie August 31, 2012 at 7:13 am - Reply

I LOVE all the quilts but I am particularly intrigued by the color wheel with the center spokes. Is there a pattern for that one?

• Charlotte August 31, 2012 at 9:25 am - Reply

thank you! The pattern was available online a few months ago, but I can’t find it now. It’s a New York Beauty block, though, and there are other similar ones around

6. Danielle Coolbear Jenkins August 31, 2012 at 7:45 am - Reply

I’m lucky enough to be friends with Charlotte – and in a few weeks time get to hang out at her house stroking fabric.

7. Pennie August 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm - Reply

Ooh, now that looks to me like an Anna Marie Horner quilt at the bottom – is that going to be something else I have to try and steal next time I’m in your house?? Soon you won’t be able to leave me un-guarded!!

8. Janice August 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm - Reply

I love all your quilts, Charlotte! I’m making a mini quilt right now kind of like your New York Beauty. I remember seeing it on flickr.

9. Charlotte September 1, 2012 at 12:07 am - Reply

thank you so much, Janice! Have fun making your mini!

10. Katy September 1, 2012 at 2:36 am - Reply

Charlotte’s work rocks, although don’t tell her, I’m secretly trying to work out how to smuggle some of those quilts out of her house…

• Charlotte September 1, 2012 at 5:08 am - Reply

you have to come and visit first ;-)

11. Kelly September 1, 2012 at 9:35 am - Reply

Charlotte certainly does rock and I am lucky enough to have seen all her beautiful quilts in real life :)

12. Helen September 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Charlotte is such a talented stitcher and such a lovely person too! So lovely to see all those wonderful quilts in one post!

13. Ann September 3, 2012 at 6:32 am - Reply

I don’t know Charlotte, but after seeing her wonderful quilts and reading all these comments I really want to be her friend. Love the Oakshott quilt…it will be added to my ever expanding bucket list.

14. Disclosure Policy | Kleenks.Com | Kleenks.Com September 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm - Reply

[…] – Chata Little ChatFiber One Chewy Bars $.80 coupon thru MyBlogSpark – Chata Little ChatDisclosureFeaturing Charlotte — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!Featuring Charlotte — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival […]