Featuring Sharon :: A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Today’s featured quilter is Sharon! Sharon was nominated in the doll quilt category, and her little quilt is adorable.  I hope you enjoy getting to know Sharon!
1. When did you begin quilting?
I began quilting about 5 years ago.

'BLISS'

2. Why do you quilt?
I started quilting because I became ‘medically’ retired after a near death car accident.  Home from re-hab and bored with all my cross stitch, I had a sewing machine and a few supplies set up so I could roll my wheel chair up and play.

made in cherry

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
So many, but I am so grateful that I took a class long ago on how to ‘press’ properly.  Pressing properly not only gives assitance with smooth seams that help with assembling blocks, but elliminates a lot of ‘wonky’ – squaring up is a piece of cake.

4. What was the inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
I am a scrap quilter at heart and save it all – and not afraid to mix designers or lines.  The Doll Quilt was for a monthly swap group and my first piece to Germany, so wanted something special – lots of bits of me.  Tiny piecing, many techniques, hand quilting, and embellishments. And the little matching doll (a former doll maker) is something I send with each of my swap quilts.
5. Do you sew other things?
I did a lot of my own clothing (4-H) and then my childrens’ when they were young, made dolls and mohair bears long ago, and for a long time I have been an avid Cross Stitcher – I fabric frame my pieces.

Scrappy Half Log Cabin

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
Although my mother is a master quilter (Quilter’s Hall of Fame), I am a self-taught quilter.  I surfed the webs, watched lots of videos, attend classes, educated myself on designers and fabric companies/lines, and melded it into my own.  I love learning about and making heritage/period quilts, but also enjoy the modern – we must know our past to make our future.  Above all, I have fun with it.
—–
Thanks for sharing Sharon! The reasons for beginning quilting sound painful, but I’m so glad you gave it a try! Your pieces are really fun!
Have a great weekend everyone,
By | 2017-02-06T09:18:22+00:00 June 29th, 2012|Featured Quilter|13 Comments

1. jodi June 29, 2012 at 7:41 am - Reply

Very nice! And to have a mom as a master quilter – lucky you.
    I love the big star quilt. Nice to “meet” you, Sharon!

• sharon June 29, 2012 at 8:41 am - Reply

Thank you Jodi – and yes, we have ‘met’.

2. jodi June 29, 2012 at 7:42 am - Reply

Oh, but wait! I already “met” you – I’ve been following you for some time now! Ha!

3. Jitka June 29, 2012 at 8:21 am - Reply

Hi Sharon. Could you make a tutorial How to press properly, please? I still do not know it. After 10 years quilting.

• sharon June 29, 2012 at 8:43 am - Reply

That is a wonderful idea, but maybe in the fall when it is cooler to be around the iron for a long period.

4. Pat June 29, 2012 at 9:24 am - Reply

Fun to read about you and learn things I didn’t know!

• sharon June 29, 2012 at 11:58 am - Reply

Thank you for your lovely comment.

5. Snoodles June 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm - Reply

Good to see you over here, my friend! I didn’t realize your mom was a Hall of Famer – that is so cool. You know I love your work….I glad to see Amy introduce you to some new friends! Hugs to you!

• sharon July 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Thank you sweetie – see you during the fun filled month of July!

6. Sarah Craig July 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Sharon, you know you are one of my favorite quilt-y people – now so many more will get to know you! I had no idea, though, that you had only been quilting for five years – you have such mad piecing skills for such a short time quilting! {{{{HUGS}}}!!!!

• sharon July 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Thank you Sarah, such a lovely compliment.

7. Shannon July 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Sharon, So cool to see you here. I love all of your work. Congrats on being featured here!!

• sharon July 5, 2012 at 1:49 am - Reply

Thank you for your visit and comment Shannon.