Modern Mini Challenge

I am squeaking in at the deadline for the Modern Mini Challenge with Ellison Lane Quilts.  I shared a few inspiration pieces almost a month ago with the blog hop, and promised myself I would participate.

Modern Mini Challenge

Yay for a quick finish today!  I’ve worked on this project a little here and a little there.  Today it just needed the binding :)

The piecing is improvised from left over bits from a cutting mishap.

It measures 36″ x 23″, and quilted with simple straight lines, in a brilliant turquoise thread.

Fabrics are Moda Crossweaves.

The challenge of this quilt, was quilting through 5 layers of batting.  I’ve been wanting to make a cushy rug for my kitchen floor for sometime, and finally collected enough batting scraps to do it right!

This is where it will live, and I will have to update you with wash and wear, as it is put to the test in our kitchen.

Check out all the other entries in the Modern Mini Challenge, or hurry and add your own!

Happy Quilting ~ Amy

By | 2017-11-17T09:14:57+00:00 March 5th, 2012|finished quilt|14 Comments

1. Heather March 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm - Reply

It looks great! Wow, 5 layers of batting. I’m curious how you basted it? Did you spray each layer to hold them together? I couldn’t imagine pinning through that much!

2. Melinda March 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm - Reply

I have been looking all over for a good kitchen rug out of a quilt. A friend told me she went to a class on how to add gesso to a quilt top and make it more durable and cleanable (is that a word?). Love yours! The colors are great!

3. Debbie March 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm - Reply

cool idea – let us know if it holds up ok!

4. Kirsten March 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Love your mini – the colourful crossweaves are gorgeous together!!

5. Candy from Candied Fabrics March 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Oh wow, that is so cool! I can’t wait to hear your report on how it holds up!

6. Tina March 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Love it! I would love to hear how it holds up! Nice work!

7. Michele March 6, 2012 at 7:02 am - Reply

Great job. I never thought about making a rug with extra batting in the middle. Thanks for the idea.

8. Amy March 6, 2012 at 8:05 am - Reply

I love the texture of the fabrics! And now I think I need a rug :) But I will have to put it at the end of my list because of other time sensitive projects :)

9. Queenie March 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm - Reply

A magnificently marvelous modern mini!
    Have a great day!
    Always, Queenie

10. KimR March 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Great mini! I love the colors and the background fabric is really neat!

11. amber March 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

oooh. pretty! (were my first thoughts when I came across this post!) Good job Amy!

Amber

12. Nicole March 7, 2012 at 8:38 am - Reply

This looks wonderful! I love the idea of a quilted rug but never knew how to go about doing one. This is great. Thank you, and good luck!

13. Queenie20 March 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm - Reply

So adorable carpet! I love the design.. i really hope to win it! This will surely look great in our kitchen..

14. Iluminada Tycer May 19, 2012 at 8:35 am - Reply

As more and more Catholics are leaving “mother church,” bizarro’s like this guy are left behind. One out of every 10 Americans is a former member of what is becoming a strange, medieval, bigoted cult headed by a coterie of rich, celibate (?) and misgynistic males. Thus guy has some serious issues, one of which is the dead thing on his head! (and you think Cher’s wig was bad) 6 likes