Best of Intentions

I really did have the best of intentions, to blog and get some sewing done yesterday! The day just got away from me!

I have had a spurt of great quilt design ideas and spent the day in EQ7 drawing blocks and auditioning fabrics. I’m not sure when I’ll get to make them with fabric, but I’ll share with you when I do! I have a deadline for the blog this week, so I did eventually set up my machine and made some progress on the project.

20120221-213344.jpg

I’m enjoying the appliqué and learning lots as I go.  My machine allows me to memorize any changes I make to the stitches, which I love. I can adjust the tension, length, or width of the blanket stitch, and I don’t have to adjust each time I turn on the machine.  Awesome!  In the past I’ve taken a picture of the settings to remind me where I like it – but then I never can find the pic when I need it, and end up re-trying the stitch until it looks right to me.  All that to say, I’m loving my Melody!

Have you done much applique lately?

Planning to finish this up today, wish me luck!

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:26+00:00 February 22nd, 2012|sewing|11 Comments

1. Katy February 22, 2012 at 4:42 am - Reply

I’ve not done applique with my new machine, but you have reminded me about that memory function, I really need to work out how to use it for my piecing, so I don’t need to remember to change the settings every time I turn the machine on!

2. Suzanne February 22, 2012 at 6:43 am - Reply

I finally have a machine that does those kinds of stitches but I haven’t used them yet. I sure like your flowers!

3. linda February 22, 2012 at 7:39 am - Reply

wow what a machine i have to remember to sort the stiches when i switch mine back on :(( the stitches look gorgeous !!

4. Anne Carter February 22, 2012 at 8:21 am - Reply

I love fusible applique. Most of my wall quilts have it. My favorite stitch is the blanket stitch although I have used many others. You can vary the length and width of the stitch to accommodate the piece I am applying. I recommend using stabilizer to reduce the fabric uptake where the stitch is applied.

5. Amy February 22, 2012 at 9:17 am - Reply

I have a fusible applique on my modern mini :) Maybe…if it turns out okay ;) I can’t wait to see what you are working on in that picture!

6. Natalia February 22, 2012 at 9:51 am - Reply

YAY! I love applique!! :)

7. Claire Jain February 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm - Reply

I haven’t done any appliqué lately (aside from sewing on quilt labels), but English paper piecing is filling the void! It sounds like you have a cool machine :-)

8. Melissa Corry February 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

I did some super tiny applique for this bee block http://www.flickr.com/photos/51787081@N05/6897795923/
    A 16″ monopoly board is just so much fun to make!!!

9. Patricia Price February 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

What thread do you use?

10. Mara E. February 24, 2012 at 2:26 am - Reply

I’d like to learn how to sew as well but I didn’t really have the time to do it. Since when did you start using the sewing machine? I hope your project will work out fine.

-Mara

11. […] environment here!  I took my time stitching around all the pieces, and learned lots about my new sewing machine as I worked.  It was our first applique project together, so I had fun working out her features as […]