Featuring Staci :: A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Today’s feature is a fun one!  Staci’s quilts are bright and fun, she blogs at the confused quilter, and seems to be working on something new!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Staci better –

1. When did you begin quilting?

I’ve been sewing since I was tiny.  I could hold a needle and hand stitch before I could hold a pencil and write my name. My mother got me off to a good start! =) The first quilt I ever made was for my teddy bear using my mother’s scraps, I was about 7 years old.  I started really quilting about 14 years ago, but it didn’t become a crazed obsession until about 8 years ago.  It is ridiculous how much time I spend thinking about quilting.  I even dream about it at night!

2. Why do you quilt?
Quilting gives me joy on so many levels.  I love fabric!  The colors, the patterns, the moods, the emotions, the textures — it all speaks to my heart.  I love the creativity involved in quilting and letting my imagination run wild.  I love watching a stack of little colorful bits become a cohesive whole. I love the challenge of it, trying new tools, techniques, color combinations and patterns, and constantly striving to improve on each project.  And, of course, I love the finished quilt!  I love to giving quilts as gifts, sharing that little bit of myself with the recipient.  There is nothing nicer than wrapping up in a handmade hug.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Three little favorite quilting tips: 1. Starch can be your friend, especially when using small pieces or lots of bias edges.  2. Trial blocks are a good thing, and can save you lots of time, frustration and wasted fabric.  3. When things aren’t going right or you feel stressed and frustrated, but the project away for a bit.  Come back with fresh eyes and fresh energy.  Quilting should never feel like a chore!
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
My Quilt Festival quilt, Wonky Asterisks, was really an exercise in making lemonade from very sour lemons.  I think I made every mistake possible on that particular quilt!  It actually went into the trash, twice. The finished quilt bears little resemblance to the quilt I planned to make, but is so much better, so much more fun than I ever imagined it would be.  Wonky Asterisks is one of my very favorite quilts of all time.
5.  Do you sew other things?
I like to sew children’s clothing, tote bags, and stuffed animals.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I’m an Army wife and mom to two grown children.  The online quilting community is wonderful, and I enjoy being part of it.  I appreciate the kindness and support that you find all over quilting blogland.
Thank you, Amy, for including me.  I feel quite honored!
—–
Thanks for sharing your quilts with us Staci!  I love your tips and think they definitely apply to all of us quilters!
Have a great weekend everyone – I’m planning to be busy working on my challenge.
By | 2017-02-06T09:18:26+00:00 February 10th, 2012|Featured Quilter|13 Comments

1. Sally February 10, 2012 at 6:18 am - Reply

Good pick, Amy; Staci is one of my favorite quilters and her asterisk quilt is among my all-time favorite quilts!

2. Lynn Fitzgerald February 10, 2012 at 7:10 am - Reply

Wow, Stacy’s work is beautiful. I really must take a few classes and get serious about finishing something. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn

3. Jacque February 10, 2012 at 7:17 am - Reply

Yay! I love Stacy’s projects….I get inspired by seeing her color choices, and the asterisk quilt is a stunner!

4. Anita February 10, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

What a lovely feature! I’m so happy to have met Staci through a quilt along a while back…and I do enjoy her blog and love seeing everything she makes!

5. Tiffany February 10, 2012 at 9:20 am - Reply

Yay Staci! I love seeing the stuff she comes up with.

6. Heidi February 10, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

Loyal follower of Staci…I found her through the quilt festival!!!

I thank you AGAIN for hosting the festival!! It really has made my repertoire of larger and has opened my eyes to amazing quilters that I can learn so much from!

7. Ranch Wife February 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Yay for Staci! So glad you have featured her because now more people can join her fan club! She’s just got the most amazing eye for putting fabrics together and her piecing is flawless. She’s also just really cool!

8. Tsoniki Crazy Bull February 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Thank you for featuring her! Not only are her quilts beautiful, I always love finding a fellow military spouse who quilts! :)

9. Margaret Strauss February 12, 2012 at 11:51 am - Reply

I always wait for these sort of posts. I loved all those quilts. They are just gorgeous. Staci has done a great job.
    I loved reading her answers. She is such an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing.

-Margaret

10. Cram21 February 15, 2012 at 12:27 am - Reply

Awesome! I really love every collection you had, I think I need to enrolled in a creative class to have that kind of beautiful skills. Thanks!

11. Sherry February 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm - Reply

As you can see, I’m behind on my blog reading/commenting! I really enjoyed Staci’s quilts. Wonderful!

12. Earlen February 29, 2012 at 12:32 am - Reply

I love this kind of collection, very colorful and beautiful…

13. Renz March 2, 2012 at 4:40 am - Reply

I do believe that life is full of color full things, my wife created also this hand stitch because its beautiful…