Bloggers’ Quilt Festival :: Photographing Your Quilts

Looking back at my three years of blogging, I’ve learned a lot about taking pictures!  No doubt if you go back and look at my first posts, you will find poorly lit pictures, and rarely a full quilt.  Since we are counting down to the next installment of Bloggers’ Quilt Festival (2 weeks!), I thought I would share a few of my own tips for taking great photos of your beautiful quilts!

Don’t be too hard on me…it’s my first video here!  And I hope you learned something new too.

Are you ready for Bloggers’ Quilt Festival?

Hope so!  Happy quilting ~

This post is sponsored in part by

[adrotate banner=”3″] please support my fantastic sponsors!

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:37+00:00 April 28th, 2011|Bloggers Quilt Festival, video|31 Comments

1. Amy C April 28, 2011 at 6:27 am - Reply

Thanks for the tips on the pictures.

2. Sara April 28, 2011 at 6:32 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing Amy! You are such a sweetie!

I have been experimenting more and more with different photo ops of my quilts too. Though, it seems whenever I finish a quilt the weather doesn’t agree with me (sometimes)lol! Bright sunshine is a HUGE help indeed! Stitching is also great for a close up to see texture I think.

I like the prop idea too, The chair, a bed,couch, etc.

Photography CAN be fun for amateurs like me or whomever else;) There is always Photo shop too!

3. Jill April 28, 2011 at 7:05 am - Reply

So right, you really can’t beat taking photos outside. Looking forward to the festival!

4. Deborah April 28, 2011 at 7:11 am - Reply

Sadly, I’m getting an error while trying to open the video. I’ll try back later, because I’d love to learn some tips from you.

5. Becky M April 28, 2011 at 7:28 am - Reply

Great tips! Looking forward to the festival!

6. Regina April 28, 2011 at 7:37 am - Reply

Thank you! I love taking pictures but never take good ones of my quilts.

7. Darlene Gerber April 28, 2011 at 7:40 am - Reply

Amy,

Great job on your first video!!! I will try to get a few more interesting shots of my quilt in the next 2 weeks!!

8. […] Ellis shares a video on her blog that shows how to get the best shots of your quilts. All this is in preparation for the upcoming […]

9. Natalia April 28, 2011 at 9:53 am - Reply

Great post Amy!

10. Kimberly April 28, 2011 at 10:19 am - Reply

I love Bloggers Quilt Festival. It pushes me to finish up quilts that have been lying around too long. That said, I would love if there was a way to summarize the video you posted. I cannot watch videos, so unfortunately I cannot get any of your tips! Thanks!

11. Sew Create It - Jane April 28, 2011 at 11:01 am - Reply

Great video with some excellent advice!!

12. Vicky Haynes April 28, 2011 at 11:38 am - Reply

Amy,
    Nice job with the video. You talked slowly and calmly which helped with the presentation. Just one more suggestion for photos of your quilts. Natural light is wonderful and if you have a spot inside where the sun is coming through the window onto the quilt, try using that light. Also, morning and evening light is most attractive (since the air tends to be stiller and the light is softer.) The harsh light of mid-day tends to wash out the colors so try to avoid those times. Closeups of details is also a nice addition.

Vicky

13. Amanda April 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing. I’ve been trying to think of new ways to get better pictures and this helps.

14. Jenny Wilding Cardon April 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Hey Amy, grrrreat job on your first video! Was wondering how I would know it was you at Market or the meetup. Now I’ll be able to spot ya. Good advice about photos too–now if I would just be patient and wait to take photos when there’s good natural light. Working on it. The patience thing, that is. :)

15. Candy April 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm - Reply

Amy! What a great video post – lots of neat ideas, and it’s so nice to hear your voice! It’s funny how you can “know” someone and not have ever heard their voice! :-)

16. Renata April 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm - Reply

thanks for the photo tips, outside is definitely the best for photos, i have found a shady spot just outside my door which i find is better than direct sunlight which can seem to washout the colours, maybe its the aussie sun!

17. Carol T April 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Great video. Thanks for sharing it. I take your houses on your street are really close together (a high fence) ? Your poor fence says “paint me” : ) .

18. Samelia's Mum April 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Love the video. Thanks for the sharing your photography tips. I’m looking forward to the festival :-)

19. AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters April 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Great job Amy! Congrats on being brave enough to post a video. Strange how comfortable we get writing thoughts and showing pics, but video terrifies me. Way to go! Looking forward to the Festival, your hard work on the event is appreciated!

20. Mickey Kelly White April 28, 2011 at 7:05 pm - Reply

You did fine !!! your quilts look much better in the video ! they are so BRIGHT !! and I love your hair !!

21. Lynn April 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

22. Tove Leggett April 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Awsome!!!!!

23. Suzanne April 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Hey, Amy! You are a real person. (I knew that, but I loved seeing you live!) Thanks for sharing your tips. Natural light makes all the difference.

24. Elaine April 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tips. I am looking for better ways to photograph quilts -mine and my customers – and you are helping me.

25. Beth April 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Great video Amy. I really need to work on photographing my quilts better so thanks for the advice.

26. Allie April 30, 2011 at 12:34 am - Reply

Oh Amy you are adorable – I look forward to more videos! That was great, you did good, girl. I’m working night and day getting my quilt ready, the BQF has been my motivation to really get it done! I’m thankful the weather is warming up so I can take it outside to get better pics!

27. Molly May 1, 2011 at 6:31 am - Reply

Thanks for the tips! Getting good quilt photos is always a challenge for me. My house is always too messy and my yard doesn’t have a clothesline. Sometime I take them on the road and make my kids help me get photos in scenic area locations. We laugh at how crazy we must look to passers by with the dog helping and all. Can’t wait for the next quilt festival and am planning (hoping!) to have my next quilt finished by then.

28. Rachaeldaisy May 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Thanks for taking the time to give us these tips!! i’m excited about the festival!!!

29. Linda May 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy! Looking forward to the festival!

30. Richard Healey February 27, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

Thank you for this video. A few of my blog visitors have suggested I watch it (I guess my bad pictures are getting too them haha) But I will take some of your advice and work on better pictures.

31. Janice @ better off thread July 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Thanks, for the tips, Amy! I’m always trying to get better photos of my quilts. It’s always a drag when I’ve gifted the quilt and realize all I have left of it are sucky photos.
    I love your hair!