Inspiration :: Texture

I took a tons of pictures in Washington while we were visiting over Christmas.  Looking through them again, I came across a few that I thought I would share!  Check out this texture :

I think I feel a mossy green quilt coming soon, just need to find a way to add texture like some of these!

Any ideas?

Happy quilting ~ Amy

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:38+00:00 April 18th, 2011|Inspiration|10 Comments

1. TracyDK April 18, 2011 at 6:16 am - Reply

You could always use different fabrics. When I see the short thick moss, I always think of velvet, because that’s how it feels. The leafy, white moss in the next to last picture, you could use a paper-y feeling fabric. :) That’s what I’d do. I know that lots of people say you shouldn’t mix fabrics in a quilt, however, did our great gramma’s think of that when they used scraps of clothes to make one?

2. Carol April 18, 2011 at 6:53 am - Reply

I saw an interesting idea recently which would work for the bottom photo–white stringy stuff. The artist used a needle-felt attachment on her machine to punch/fuse organza fabric to her piece. I don’t think they make the attachment for all machines but it can also be done manually.
    quiltfever.wordpress.com

3. Beth April 18, 2011 at 7:11 am - Reply

You could alway use applique’ or maybe get the textured look by the the way you quilt it…just thoughts. Whatever you do I am sure it will be fabulous! Have fun figuring it out :)

4. Becky April 18, 2011 at 8:00 am - Reply

Those are beautiful pictures- you’re right about the textures. It would be interesting to play with different textures of fabric even within the same color spectrum.

5. Tove Leggett April 18, 2011 at 8:25 am - Reply

The fun thing it there are so many, fabric out there that visually give texture throught there prints you just choose carefully . I’m sure whatever you choose will good fine, you seem to have a good eye for putting things together.

6. Allie April 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm - Reply

Oh yum yum – what gorgeous texture! Art quilt or cuddle quilt? Maybe you could dye some chenille green for moss….that would be good for a cuddle quilt. For an art quilt, I’d go NUTS with different fibers….yarns, etc.

7. Candy April 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

MMMM – LOVING the lichen picture – you’re right, nature = texture!

8. Elise April 19, 2011 at 2:41 am - Reply

Are you thinking an art quilt? Appliqué? Wool felting certainly comes to mind. Silver and apple green…? Could be lovely! Saw you taking those pics; wondered when I’d see them!

9. Kathy B April 20, 2011 at 7:33 am - Reply

I am having fun Blog Hopping this am. Amy I am enjoying your blog. Waiting to see if I am a lucky winner or if I just need to add What A Novel Idea to my shopping list. I will add Strawberry/Angel Food Cake Trifle to my dessert list. Yummy is right!

10. Sarah April 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Hey Ms. Amy, I just love your site ;o) I’ve been receiving your post by e-mail for awhile now. I’ve really enjoyed them. Thanks so much for taking the time. Now onto the reason for my posting a comment…the greens here in these pictures! Today I went to a shop that I had came across in the on line shop hop and low and behold there’s a jelly roll of fabric that so made me think of remark about greens and textures :o) It’s a batik by a company call Island Batik. Here’s a link should you want to look at yourself.