Progress!

Yay for progress!

Strip sets, and seams pressed open…a couple of my favorite things.

Today I’ll be cutting these sets, and continuing forward.

Blessings ~

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:39+00:00 March 31st, 2011|work in progress|10 Comments

1. Suzanne March 31, 2011 at 7:06 am - Reply

Amy, do you shorten your stitch length when you are going to press seams open?

• Amy March 31, 2011 at 8:48 am - Reply

I’ve just started shortening my stitch length! It also helps when I’m cutting strip sets.

2. Deborah in Atlanta March 31, 2011 at 7:23 am - Reply

How in the heck do all of you folks out in bloggy land sew your strips and you don’t have all those strings hanging off the strips on the back? Mine always have strings everywhere that have to be trimmed to make it look better (and to keep those pesky strings from showing through the lighter fabrics)

• Amy March 31, 2011 at 8:47 am - Reply

Starch is a great help with that! It helps keep the weave tight, and I’m just careful about moving them around too much.

3. Pam March 31, 2011 at 7:47 am - Reply

Ooo la la! Can’t wait to see what it turns into, lol! Have a happy day!

hugz

4. Kenda March 31, 2011 at 7:54 am - Reply

Amy, why do you press the seams open? When do you press them open and when do you press them in one direction (what I usually do), and what is the reason for each? Thanks so much! I love your work.

• Amy March 31, 2011 at 8:55 am - Reply

Kenda, I learned to sew garments as a girl, and then I’m a self-taught quilter. For the longest time I didn’t know anything different! I like to press them open as much as possible — Things lay flatter, it’s easier to cut strip sets, and I don’t have to plan ahead on how my seams will or won’t line up later. If I’m sewing with lots of seaming, (and pressing open is nearly impossible) I may press to one side. But usually I’ll press open.

5. Denny March 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Amy–These are already looking pretty! Nice and neat.

6. Candy March 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm - Reply

What a lovely picture! Can’t wait to see what it’s part of!

7. Beth April 1, 2011 at 7:41 am - Reply

Yay for progress!!! Can’t wait to see what you are doing with those solids! Smiles…