White Chili Chicken

I’m participating in the Recipe Box Swap with Randi today!  Today is the soup/stew edition, which perfect for this time of year.  I’m always looking for something warm and comforting at the end of a long day!
swap blogpost
I’m sharing a new favorite – White Chicken Chili – we love it!  I’ve been making it every week for the last month.

White Chicken Chili

2 -3 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 med onion diced small

2 large cloves of garlic – crushed and minced

1 ½ lbs of Chicken Breasts – diced

2 cans of Beans (Pinto, Cannellini, (add 1 of Black beans for variety)

1 small can of green chili’s – diced

1 med can of Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce

1 jalapeño minced (if you like it hot don’t remove the ribs or seeds)

½ t of cayenne (optional)

2 teaspoons of ground cumin

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 T of Masa Harina / or 2 corn tortilla’s

2 T of cilantro – minced

Heat a large nonstick 5 qt pot on medium heat; add the oil, then the saute onions.

Add the minced garlic. Cook 1 minute.

Turn up heat to medium high, add chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring gently intermittently to cook all sides of chicken.

Add salt, pepper, cumin, jalapeño, green chilis, Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce and 2 cans of beans that have been drained and rinsed.

Stir and bring to a boil, lower heat to med low. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir in the Masa Harina let simmer for 3 minutes until chili thickens, or if using corn tortilla’s, tear into little pieces and let cook until tortilla have dissolved. Sprinkle cilantro and serve.

Here’s a pdf for you to print real quick.  You will want to try it tonight!  I’ve also sauteed the vegetables, then put all the ingredients in the crockpot for an easy make ahead dinner.

Enjoy –

PS – I still have a few doll quilts, and a set of charms in my shop!

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:43+00:00 January 25th, 2011|In the Kitchen|12 Comments

1. randi January 25, 2011 at 7:13 am - Reply

this sounds REALLY good! a bunch of our fave ingredients are in the recipe!

2. Pamela January 25, 2011 at 7:31 am - Reply

This is what I was planning for dinner tonight. How I make it is different. No cilantro please (taste like dial soap). It is sooo yummy and good for you. I also don’t use beans in mine so it has fewer carbs in it. I am trying very hard to eat low carb when I can. I will have to try your version soon Amy it looks good.
    Pamela.Adams62@gmail.com

3. Jackie January 25, 2011 at 7:46 am - Reply

White Chicken Chili is one of my favorites!! This is going on my lists of to make. Love to try new recipes. Thanks for sharing.

4. Natalia January 25, 2011 at 9:33 am - Reply

Ha, did you see my recipe on the MBS progressive dinner! Great minds think alike! :)

5. Thearica Burroughs January 25, 2011 at 11:03 am - Reply

There was a recipe on Natalia’s Piece N Quilt Blog just a few days ago for White Chicken Chili…although the recipe is a little different…

I tried hers and MAN!! was it delicious! My hubby kept saying, “We can have this again!” while he ate his! I love it when his tummy is happy! :)

I may just have to try your recipe next time but if it is any better than Natalia’s, I don’t know if we could stand it! :)

6. Thearica Burroughs January 25, 2011 at 11:03 am - Reply

7. Thearica Burroughs January 25, 2011 at 11:05 am - Reply

Your comment box showed an error when I tried to post the first time so I resubmitted it…Now it shows twice… Sorry about that. Might be WordPress having a few gliches today.

8. amylouwho January 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm - Reply

i’m going to try this! Crock pot style, my new favorite! We love white chicken chili but I haven’t made it in ages. Thanks for the inspiration!

PS – I’m getting super excited about the Sewing Summit! Amy and Dana are going to be great presenters!

9. Suzanne January 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Yummy!

10. Allie January 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy, I love chili in this cold weather!

11. Brooke January 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Amy,

This looks really delicious. White chili is one of my favorites. I’m going on a hunt for that brand of green sauce and hope to try this one next week. Thanks for sharing!

12. Denise in PA January 31, 2011 at 10:13 am - Reply

Amy – I just had to tell you, I made this for family dinner on Sunday and it got RAVES! My, oh my, was it tasty (even with the RED enchildada sauce my husband accidentally picked up instead of green – LOL). This recipe is definitely going in the keeper book! Thank you so much for sharing. I had cilantro rice and cornbread with it. I’m so glad I have leftovers for lunch! o:)