Frequently Asked Questions & a Deadline

First, thank you all for your kind comments about my quilt!  I love it too, and I’m so excited for it to loved, and used!  I had hopes of replying to your emails individually but my day yesterday was crazy full.  Thank you, thank you!

My deadline is completely self-imposed, especially by my own procrastination, regardless it looms just two weeks away!  So here’s my internal mantra:

Just thought I would share in case any of you have a similar deadline.  You can do it!

FAQ’s

There’s a few questions I get asked often, and so I thought I would put together a FAQ page.  Do you have any questions for me?  Thread, needles, binding or quilting, just leave a question in the comments or email me directly at amyscreativeside@gmail.com.

Thanks!!

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:45+00:00 December 8th, 2010|Inspiration|13 Comments

1. Lois Grebowski December 8, 2010 at 5:29 am - Reply

You can do it! Just focus on the task at hand. There’s nothing you can’t do!!!!

2. Sarah Craig December 8, 2010 at 5:56 am - Reply

I love your button/mantra!! Can I steal it??

3. Kristy December 8, 2010 at 6:07 am - Reply

I have so many questions. Here are two I would love advice on.
    #1 – Whats the best way to wash & dry a quilt? I am deathly afraid of it falling apart.
    #2 – If I am not buying designer thread, what is the best kind/ weight of all purpose sewing machine thread? Something that could be used for pieceing, quilting, etc…. Thanks!

4. Suzanne December 8, 2010 at 6:24 am - Reply

I love your mantra.

5. Emily December 8, 2010 at 8:40 am - Reply

Very Good advice! Thanks!

6. Emily December 8, 2010 at 8:46 am - Reply

Can you tell us a little bit about chosing colors for a quilt? I can usually figure it out, but it takes me forever and a lot of switching around of things to get the balance ok. Any tricks? :)

7. triangle shirt December 8, 2010 at 9:46 am - Reply

hi amy,

i’m new to quilting and although i’ve got the basics – a cutting mat, a rotary, a machine, fabrics, batting, thread – i’m trying to put a christmas list together for myself, to give to friends and family.

i’d like to know what your favorite tools are. what would you have liked to receive in your early quilting days? do you have a favorite book/magazine that you think is essential for any beginning quilter?

i’m having a hard time figuring out what i’d actually use vs. what i’d be excited about, but would end up collecting dust on the shelf.

thanks!
    kim

triangle shirt

8. Christie, Describe Happy December 8, 2010 at 11:12 am - Reply

Good mantra… what’s the deadline for?

Do you use different thread for piecing vs. quilting? Any tips for free motion quilting as far as setting up the sewing machine correctly for it?

9. Jackie December 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Can you please tell me how you do the actual quilting on your quilts? I do not have a quilting machine and just want to try some simple alternatives to the straight line stitching which is all I have used so far. I am new at this and not all that talented, so it will need to be simple!
    Thanks!

10. Jill December 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Love the mantra :)

11. Lori December 9, 2010 at 7:42 am - Reply

What is the best way to be sure your seams are 1/4″??? I’m new at quilting and have yet to master that…Thanks for your help and for sharing your beautiful work!

12. Eleanor December 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I would love some tips on cutting accurately. Sometimes when I cut a folded piece it ends up “V” shaped and I am not quite sure why.

13. […] still working on the FAQ post, let me know if you have more […]