Easy Dresden Ruler & Tutorial

I scored a few of these rulers at a great price with all of you in mind!  So, I thought I would share a little how-to, on how easy they are and show you why you need one.  If you already know what to do with this you can go straight to the shop to get yours!

As you can see the ruler has 1/2″ marks.  First step is to decide how big of a plate you want to make, and cut a strip of fabric to that width.

Trim up the end with the ruler, the cut your first wedge.

Turn the ruler over and continue cutting wedges.

Works with all sizes, between 1″ and 8″!  To make the wedges, fold the wider end, right sides together.  I stick a pin in them all then head to the machine.

Sew using 1/4″ seam.

Then we clip the corner and turn it right side out.

Careful not to clip too close to your seam.  Then with thumb on the right side, lay your seam allowance to one side with your index finger and turn it right side out.

Gently press the point out.

And set the points with a hot iron.

For each plate, you need 20 wedges, which are quickly made with this nifty ruler!   Starting near the tip, backstitch to secure your stitches, and sew the entire length.  Press your seam allowances in one direction, and add more together, until you have a complete plate.

For this stacked version, I used 8″, 5 1/2″ and 2″ strips, and machine quilted each layer in place.

I’ve learned to have lots of fun with these, and can’t wait to see what you come up with too!

Visit the shop to purchase your’s and get started!  I’m thinking I’ll add a couple extra bits of fabric for you to play with, for each order.  It will be a surprise!

Happy quilting~

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:46+00:00 November 10th, 2010|Tutorial|25 Comments

1. Terriaw November 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm - Reply

I definitely have to get one of these rulers! I love making dresden plates, but I always wondered how I could change the size of each dresden to customize my own design idea. Thanks for this great tute! Definitely adding this to my sidebar.

2. Tweets that mention Easy Dresden Ruler & Tutorial -- Topsy.com November 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm - Reply

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by jenni20 designs, Amy Ellis. Amy Ellis said: Easy Dresden Ruler & Tutorial http://bit.ly/99bFWy […]

3. Anna November 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm - Reply

Um, AWESOME!

4. kathy November 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm - Reply

very pretty and I love dresden plates. I bought that ruler recently. I also like that border. Very good tutorial.

5. Thearica Burroughs November 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Your quilt is really fun!! and the tute was right on! I am off to your shop!

6. Beth November 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Amy, you just made this look so easy, great tute! I am sure that it is not really that simple. I may just have to get one of those rulers and see for myself :) Have a great evening!

7. Lindsay November 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tutorial Amy! I love my ez dresden ruler it is so much fun to play with!

8. Tracee November 10, 2010 at 8:12 pm - Reply

You certainly make everything look sew easy. Thanks for the tutorial.

9. katie jean November 10, 2010 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh! I had no idea how easy this is. Well you make it look easy and I just love that ruler! Have to have one of my own :)

10. Tove November 10, 2010 at 11:25 pm - Reply

Now I want a ruler all the more!
    Maybe Joannes will carry them, they’d be cheap with a coupon.

11. JOAN November 11, 2010 at 4:11 am - Reply

I absolutely love that ruler. It’s so fast and easy. Your little quiltie is so cute.

12. Sandi Colwell November 11, 2010 at 5:47 am - Reply

Great tutorial Amy! I love the Dresden plate. I just received a package of Dresden rulers in 18″, 14″ and 9″ size. I believe the largest one will make a circle that is 36″. I can’t wait to try it. I just found your site after listening to Pat Sloan’s show, I look forward to getting to know you.

13. Sue November 11, 2010 at 8:08 am - Reply

Thank you so much for the tutorial, Amy. Before your tutorial, I had NO idea how to use the ruler which has been languishing in a drawer for a while. Now I can’t wait to use it.

14. Jen Eskridge November 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Looks great! For some reason, I’ve never thought of stacking them.

15. Audrey November 12, 2010 at 8:34 am - Reply

This is so beautiful! I am definitely going to learn how to make these. I want to try some pillows!

16. Carol P. November 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Using the “shop” link posted in the 2nd line of this post, I went there…. but, I wasn’t seeing the Dresden ruler. Was I looking too hard?
    I Love your Dresden plate quilt, it’s beautiful! It’s wonderfully contemporary w/ vibrant colors. You made it in My colors, too ;-D After you posted it a short while ago, I was (and am) really encouraged to make one. But, I wasn’t sure what ruler to use, since have yet to use any wedge ruler. Did you read my mind?
    Thank you very much for such a clear, concise tutorial on using the wedge ruler. You answered most of my questions!
    Your tutorials are great and I appreciate your generosity.

17. Veronica Stanossek November 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I love this tool. I would like to make this as a table piece of sorts with thinstlebright so it can be used as a hotpad of sorts or just as a table piece like a doily but i do not know how to finish it with a backing, do you have any suggestions for a simple backing?

18. Kristen November 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm - Reply

I bought one of these rulers from your shop (thanks for the scraps!) now I can’t wait to use it!!

19. Kristen November 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm - Reply

20. Helen White December 3, 2010 at 2:56 am - Reply

Found it.

21. Suzanne February 19, 2012 at 8:12 am - Reply

How do you know what size quilt block each of the sized wedges will make? For example, if I wanted to make a 6″ finished quilt block, how do I determine which size wedge to cut?

Thanks!

Suzanne

22. Mary Rayman January 16, 2014 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I want to get one of your rulers but have a question. For example, if you use the one that
    would be 8 inches long, what would the diameter of the finished dresden plate be? I cannot find that out anywhere. Thanks.
    Mary

23. Janet October 8, 2014 at 2:04 pm - Reply

I have the same question. When I start to design a quilt I choose my block size first then move from there. To make an 8 inch diameter dresden what size do I choose to cut the dresden plates. 4 inch? If you could answer this question that would be great and help more than just me as I noticed I’m not the only person to ask this question.
    TIA,
    Janet

24. Charo July 11, 2015 at 4:28 pm - Reply

I absolutely love this quilt and as I have this ruler, I’m going to make it! I had this fabric to but I only have some strips of the jelly roll left.

Thanks for the tutorial

25. […] Dresden Plate.  There are printable pattern templates online but I actually found an plastic acrylic template. It has a good tutorial as […]