5 Ways to Know if You Are a Fabric Addict

Hi there!  If you can answer yes to any one of these, you are an addict!

1. Your grayest day is suddenly great, when you receive fabric in the mail.
  2. You regularly entertain the thought of getting a wholesale account with one or more fabric manufacturers.
  3. You follow (stalk) designer blogs, and talk with friends about a line that won’t be out for months.
  4. You visit your local quilt shop and can easily name every collection available, and know more than the lady cutting about upcoming lines.
  5. You have vivid dreams about attending Quilt Market.  (I don’t ever remember dreams….this one I did!)

Are you an addict?  How many did you answer yes to?

Me – yes to all five!  But I’ve known I’m an addict!

Sweet Divinity BlocksI’m nearly done with 48 blocks!  I think I will save this one a full reveal at Blogger’s Quilt Festival.

Have a great day~

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:47+00:00 October 21st, 2010|Inspiration, work in progress|35 Comments

1. BadlandsQuilts October 21, 2010 at 10:08 am - Reply

Yep, I’m definately an addict!

2. Amy October 21, 2010 at 10:14 am - Reply

lol! Hi, my name is Amy and I’m also and addict! Maybe there should be group therapy for fabric addicts just like other addictions!

3. Jennwith4 October 21, 2010 at 10:22 am - Reply

Yes to 2 1/2 of them. Lol it does make my day when a beautiful bundle comes in the mail! Wouldnt quilt market be so fun even though the only reason for me to go would be to ogle the fabric! I’m definitely a stalker of fabric designers but don’t have any IRL friends to talk about them with.

4. Meagan October 21, 2010 at 10:32 am - Reply

I had YES on three out of five. I’ve never received fabric in the mail, I always buy from the store. And I’ve never been to Quilt Market. So I couldn’t accurately say yes to either of those… YET.

I immediately recognize myself in the other three though!

~ Meagan

5. Becky M October 21, 2010 at 10:36 am - Reply

Ha ha! Yup, I’m an addict. I wish I had a LQS with fabric cool enough for me to know all of it! But I definitely love those mail packages.

6. Amy, a redeemed sheep October 21, 2010 at 10:40 am - Reply

Oh, count me in as an addict, too!

7. Cathy A October 21, 2010 at 10:41 am - Reply

Hey…how do you know me so well when we’ve never even met? :)

8. Tweets that mention Quilting Fabric Addict? | Amy's Creative Side -- Topsy.com October 21, 2010 at 10:51 am - Reply

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eileen Gianiodis, Amy Ellis. Amy Ellis said: 5 Ways to Know if You Are a Fabric Addict http://bit.ly/b40Dml […]

9. Natalia October 21, 2010 at 11:02 am - Reply

I am!!!! :)

10. Christine October 21, 2010 at 11:22 am - Reply

My name is Christine and I’m an addict. :)

11. Emma October 21, 2010 at 11:34 am - Reply

I’m a fabric addict, but not a DESIGNER fabric addict. I could care less about “lines” of fabric by some designer. For me, it’s about each individual piece I buy. I have a few “designer” fabrics (two totally different Moda fabrics I used for backings plus I think one Kaufman FQ bundle…)but they’re shoved in with all of the rest of my Joann Fabrics/Hancock’s fabrics. I couldn’t care less about buying a whole line…I prefer to take one fabric and pick out what I want with it…and most of the time, what I want is nothing like what the designer wanted.

So yes, I’m a fabric addict…for non-designer fabric? Does that make me a non-designer fabric snob?

12. mjb October 21, 2010 at 11:43 am - Reply

I’ve been trying to figure out for awhile how I could get myself an invite to Quilt Market. And if opening a wholesale account is how I have to do it…

13. Vicki October 21, 2010 at 11:53 am - Reply

I love getting fabric in the mail.

Finally decided which quilt I’m going to finish for the quilt festival, can’t wait!

14. kelly October 21, 2010 at 11:58 am - Reply

i said yes to all five. AND i’m blessed to live in houston, so i will be attending quilt market! and just last night i started looking into getting my wholesaler’s license.

15. Carla Louise October 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm - Reply

I am definitely an addict….. but certainly you are more addicted than I am!!! Hope you are well, Amy!
    carla louise

16. Marci Girl October 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm - Reply

Yes, I’m an addict, I can answer yes to all 5…and here is
    Number 6 – You seriously consider opening your own fabric shop/store just so that you can “own” all the bolts of fabric from all your favorite designers!

Great post Amy!

17. WendyLou October 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm - Reply

4/5 Not quite ready to open a wholesale account just yet, but the others are SO me!! My greatest struggle right now is TIME to indulge that addiction :)

18. Sarah Craig October 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I am definitely a fabric addict (my blog name declares it!) even though I can’t name all the designer lines. Rather like knowing the names of all the musicians and their songs, I can appreciate their beauty without knowing who designed them! But I’m getting better, and find myself talking to the lady cutting my fabric about new lines that are coming out that she’s never heard of…. which is depressing because it means she probably won’t be getting it in the store! I love designer fabric, vintage fabric, traditional fabric, modern fabric, reproductions – you name it, I like it. After all, whoever has the most fabric in the end, wins, right?

19. liveacolorfullife October 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm - Reply

Totally a fabric addict. And quilt market, uh, yes! I went to Portland in 2008 and it was amazing! I think I still qualify for the required credentials, and I’m sure you do as well. Wanna go sometime??

20. Kim October 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Too funny! Yes to all 5! Yes, to #6 up there from Marci too. I need a support group!

21. Jennie October 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Just take a look in my sewing room, or ask my husband – yep, I qualify. To all five. When my SIL told me she was starting a pattern company and I realized that meant she could go to quilt market, I was beyond jealous!

22. Madame samm October 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Ok, I am really scared…no really…I just started quilting in June, like this year..and already I have all these symptoms…I mean well you know what I mean Amy… My name is Madame Samm and I am an addict.

Reflection…at least I am in the company of others…
    we can all be scared…
    Great quiz…I think I failed though, didn’t I? lol

23. Elena @ Breakfast for Dinner October 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm - Reply

Uh oh, I count 5 yes answers. Yeah, I was feeling gray today and almost order a fat quarter bundle. I stopped myself. It’s on my Christmas list now :)

24. Allie October 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Oh dear – my name is Allie and I’m addicted to fabric, lol…yes to all five!

25. Terriaw October 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm - Reply

I answered yes to 4 of 5 so I think I’m a fabric addict, but I guess I already knew that. How fun to dream about fabric like we do!

26. Lindsay October 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm - Reply

yep i definately am an addict!! Thanks for sharing that!! Can’t wait for your reveal!!

27. randi October 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm - Reply

i also think you need to add to your list: you saw the title of this post and KNEW that you would qualify as an addict even before you clicked over to read it!

that’s me. :)

28. Beth October 21, 2010 at 9:38 pm - Reply

I am an addict indeed but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love that getting fabric in the mail makes me feel like I am 7 years old on Christmas morning :). Wholesale account? I better look into that…hehe. Have a great weekend!

29. Nichol October 22, 2010 at 12:42 am - Reply

I am an addict too! I love getting fabric in the mail and it does make my day. My 11 year old always says “Let me guess, you got more fabric right?” :) YEP!

30. Tammy W. October 22, 2010 at 9:21 am - Reply

Well I secretly knew it but now it is confirmed…Yes I am a Quilt Addict!

31. Karen October 22, 2010 at 11:28 pm - Reply

I have this little fabric problem….I have to MAKE myself throw out the tiny scraps. I used to keep them thinking I MIGHT need them someday, but what are you gonna do with pieces less than an inch wide??? It is still a torture, but I make myself do it. Just so I will have room for all the other scraps I can’t make myself get rid of.

32. Lovie Ball October 23, 2010 at 1:32 am - Reply

Yes I am a fabric addict. Checked into a 12 step program – held at local quilt store. Did not help LOL

33. Agnes Wong October 25, 2010 at 11:38 am - Reply

Yes, I have the same problem, I am a fabric addict. One day I will have to deal with it, in the meantime I have more designer blogs to stalk!

34. Rebecca Johnson October 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Ahhhh Yes, Yes Yes Yes and mmmYES!!!… Thats pretty sad isnt it!!! xx Soo cant wait for BQF!! xx

35. Alina March 5, 2011 at 10:35 am - Reply

I only have one “yes” to the questions, question #1. So, I guess I am not that bad yet. Still, I better watch out what I am buying in the future. I try to limit the input and increase the output here. If it would work. LOL