Back to School – Messenger Bag

Today is the day – off to school!  Yesterday we went and got new shoes for each of the girls, happy smiles all around.  Shortly after school ended in June, Ella and I talked about a new bag for her.  She decided that she wanted a messenger bag, and I asked if we should make it.  Being my assistant and seamstress in training she was happy to accept!

Of course I left it until the week before school.  Of course!

I gave her some Oz yardage, and had her cut out some flowers and leaves.  I had been saving a link to a messenger bag tutorial, so that was easy.  I love it when other’s do the math for me!

She’s quite happy with the outcome!  The only change I made to the tutorial is the strap – I cut it twice as wide and folded it to the center.  I detest turning tubes around, it’s just a little extra fabric, and a sturdier strap in my opinion.

The exterior is linen, to show off the applique, but the interior is happy yellow floral.

I’m actually tempted to keep it as my own, but I know that Ella will take good care of it and really enjoy using it.  The appliqué there on the flap, is simply flowers from a large scale print.  I zig-zag appliquéd them into place after we starched them a number of times, per Natalia’s suggestion.  Ella’s had fun showing her friends here in the neighborhood her new bag, and excited to go to school today!

Sneak Peek::

My next quilt project in progress —

I’m a bit further since I took this picture…I love chain piecing!

I hope you are well and blessed today ~

PS – I found Oz fabrics available still here, here, and here.

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:49+00:00 August 26th, 2010|bag, finished project, work in progress|24 Comments

1. Molly August 26, 2010 at 6:25 am - Reply

What a cool bag! How nice the she has a totally original bag for school. I still have a tote bag my mom made me a twenty-five years ago and I love it even more now.

You turned me on to chain piecing in the sampler quilt instructions and I can’t believe I wasn’t doing it as much before. Now my quilts will be flying off my sewing machine! (in my dreams anyways … ).

2. Linda August 26, 2010 at 6:46 am - Reply

What a great bag. I bet she is the envy of all her friends.

I just love chain piecing – it makes stitching go be so much faster.

3. Norma August 26, 2010 at 6:52 am - Reply

the bag looks great. I’d love to have one like that too!

4. Cara @ Me? A Mom? August 26, 2010 at 7:09 am - Reply

Love it! What a great idea — applique is something I still need to try out. This might just push me to do it!

5. Hilary August 26, 2010 at 7:24 am - Reply

Can you share the link to the messenger bag tutorial? I’ve been looking and haven’t found one as great as this one. That would be so great. Thanks!

6. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 7:51 am - Reply

What a wonderful bag. I would like one of those.

Lynn

7. Beth August 26, 2010 at 7:55 am - Reply

I have used that tutorial before…for a sweet 8-year girl we know…she loved it (and so did I)! I love that you used the large flowers for the applique’. I have quite a bit of Oz fabric, hmmmm (there is another project to add to the list!). Hope your girls have a wonderful first day at school!

p.s. I got my new Janome yesterday…yippee!! Still trying to figure it all out but I LOVE it so far. Thank you for the recommendation :o)

8. Candy from Candied Fabrics August 26, 2010 at 7:56 am - Reply

Ooh – very cute! And she’ll be the ONLY girl at school with one – which is just awesome!

9. Amy August 26, 2010 at 8:11 am - Reply

What an adorable bag! Now I want one!!!

10. Lindsay August 26, 2010 at 8:26 am - Reply

Oh Ella! You are one lucky girl!! What an awesome school bag! Great Job on the bag, it sounds like it was a fun Mother/Daughter project for you both!

I love the fabric in your sneak peek! I can’t wait to see what it is!

11. Patty August 26, 2010 at 8:30 am - Reply

What a great bag, I love it.

12. Natalia August 26, 2010 at 8:58 am - Reply

I love the messenger bag! The applique just makes it super cute! She is one lucky girl!!! Now back to your busy routine of driving the kids to school!!! :)

13. Meagan August 26, 2010 at 8:59 am - Reply

That’s a great back-to-school bag! Thanks for the tutorial link too. I may have to try out making one of those.

14. Tove August 26, 2010 at 9:43 am - Reply

Ella looks so proud! Sweet bag!

15. Allie August 26, 2010 at 9:56 am - Reply

Wow is that gorgeous – she’ll have the prettiest bag in school!

16. Carla Louise August 26, 2010 at 10:53 am - Reply

Amy… what a beautiful bag!!! How lucky your daughter is to have such a talented mama! You will treasure this memory some day. Now that my kids are all grown, I miss the “back to school” ritual. I guess I will have to wait until I have grandkids to enjoy it once again! Take care!

17. Cathy A August 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm - Reply

What a cute bag–she looks really pleased with it. The flowers on the front really make it fantastic! How fun to have a daughter who enjoys sewing with you! I detest turning tubes, too…I almost always end up in utter frustration.

18. Elise August 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm - Reply

I love it! The appliqué is terrific!

19. liz August 27, 2010 at 12:01 am - Reply

I just love the messenger bag and hope that it doesn’t get tooo trashed as the year progresses. Beware she could put in a request for a “Holiday” one and then a “Spring” one so she can ring the changes and keep the wear even! Just love your ideas.

20. Tote Bags Blog » Appliqué Messenger Bag | Amy's Creative Side _tote bags_tote bags for girls_tote bags for work_tote bags for women_tote bags for office lady_a lot of tote bags for you! August 27, 2010 at 5:29 am - Reply

[…] Continue reading here: Appliqué Messenger Bag | Amy's Creative Side […]

21. Jackie August 29, 2010 at 6:56 am - Reply

What a wonderful bag to go back to school with!! And she looks mighty happy with it too. Fabulous!

22. Kristie at OCD August 29, 2010 at 4:34 pm - Reply

This looks great! I just did a bunch of posts and a tutorial this week on my blog this week for messenger bags, it was so much fun! If you want to check it out it is at:

I love the appliqued flowers on yours :-)

23. Gloria @ Leather Messenger Bags for Women May 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm - Reply

O-M-G! These are gorgeous! Am definitely sure my daughter will love this! She love flowers and bags, I am going to make this for her birthday, am sure she will love it. Thanks!

24. Judith M. Settles @ leather messenger bags for women July 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm - Reply

Those bags looks great! The color and design is nice. Definitely the kids well like it.