Simple Sampler Quilt-Along Week 7

Hi there quilting friends!  I hope you had a great weekend – we spent the weekend with family celebrating a wedding.  More on that later, we have some blocks to make!

First up this week is Mosaic #10, I’ve also seen these called Dutch Windmills:

Here’s what you need:

8 – 4″ solid

8 – 4″ print, one print or same color family

Mark the center and make your HST’s, just like you’ve done in the past few weeks.

Trim on the 45 degree line to 3 1/2″, then layout.  Pin, sew and press your rows.

I mixed up my order and ended up switching things up a bit, of course I see now how I to fix it.

Continue to work in rows or like I did here.

Pin carefully, sew and press.

Press, and layout again.  With these blocks it’s easy to get things swapped around and not realize it, until after you have sewn of course!

Sew your rows or quarter blocks together to complete the block.

Next up, is the Practical Orchard block:

Here’s what you need:

From two fabrics cut –

4 – 4 1/2″ squares each

1 – 5 1/2″ square each

With the 5 1/2″ squares, make a HST.

Cut on the diagonal.  Then cut again, on the opposite diagonal.  Remember when I mentioned learning to make a hourglass block?  This is the other method!

Press your seams open in order to match up centers.  This method makes 2, we need one, but there’s an extra just in case!

Pin, sew and press your hourglass.

Then trim to 4 1/2″ – your center is 2 1/4″.

After trimming, layout your block.  Work left to right, pin, sew and press your rows.

Join the rows to complete your block!

All set!  How did you do?

I’m looking forward to seeing all your blocks!

**After you make your blocks, post about them on your blog (or flickr), then post a link.  Please post a permalink, do this by clicking on the title of your post, and copy that url, then paste it in the linky.  Thanks!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Happy quilting~

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:50+00:00 August 2nd, 2010|quilt-along|12 Comments

1. Allie August 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Gorgeous blocks Amy – love love love your fabric choice!!

2. Mickey / harleywife August 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm - Reply

For ONCE since this started , I am done with this week’s blocks ! IT’S A MIRACLE !!! will post pictures on FLICKR later …. now I must go do my chores I chose NOT to do earlier ! NICE blocks this week !

3. Lindsay August 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm - Reply

loved the blocks this week Amy! Great job! Yours are looking great! I can’t believe we have one week left before we start putting this thing together! I can’t wait to see everyones blocks this week!

4. Brittany August 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm - Reply

I’m getting better at those HST’s! I’m not loving them yet, but I’m coming along!

5. Kerry August 6, 2010 at 9:51 am - Reply

I am all caught up and can’t for next week. I am getting anxious to finish. :)

6. missknitta August 7, 2010 at 9:35 am - Reply

Just posted my blocks for the week here (for some reason I can’t get the Mr. Linky to accept my link).

I had fun with the HSTs — a new needle really helped to get through the thicknesses of fabric. Looking forward to next week, thank you so much Amy!

7. Pam August 7, 2010 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Hey Amy,

Life keeps taking me away from my sewing! I prevailed … lol!

hugz

8. Lucy August 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm - Reply

I did not think I was ever going to carve out time to work on my blocks.
    I LOVE the last block! I am having so much fun learning how to quilt, make blocks and make a few quilting friends along the way.. Thanks Lucy

9. Quiet Quilter August 9, 2010 at 8:13 am - Reply

Only got 2 of the 4 blocks I am doing per week done. Life and all that…..but am ready to finish all the blocks this week. It has been fun!!

10. Karen Lange August 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Sorry I’m late posting the pictures of my week 7 blocks. Got them done early last week but neglected to take pictures.

It’s almost hard to believe that we are now going to week 8!!! This has been so much fun!

• Igor May 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Wow wow wow wow! This is amazing! You are so very tateelnd and should be so proud of this masterpiece! I mean wow is all I can say! I love it and can only imagine how many hours you worked on it. Just beautiful!!!!

11. Shannon August 10, 2010 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Almost done. Wow, I can’t believe it. What will I do when it is done? I guess do another one of your quilt alongs. LOL!!!