Dresden Plates

I really thought I needed to get a few more things done today, before sewing up these plates….but the piles were calling to me.  I’ll get to the other stuff here in a few minutes :)

What do you think?

I LOVE them, but I can’t decide which center plate to use.  I have time though, I next need to figure out what my background will be, and if I want to piece it.

Hope you are having a productive day!
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:52+00:00 June 30th, 2010|Doll Quilt Swap|53 Comments

1. Michelle June 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Wow! That's taking Dresden Plate to a whole new level!

2. Ritapizza June 30, 2010 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Gorgeous! I love them both! Maybe the right one just a tad more since the center stands out beautifully! I like the dark background alot too! Yay! I love dresden plates!

3. Natalia from Piece N Quilt June 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm - Reply

They are darling Amy! I love the lighter center but they are both super cute!!

4. harleywife June 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm - Reply

JUST GORGEOUS !!! the one on the right does stand out more …. ( btw , I sewed my first 2 blocks from the quilt along , and made mistakes ! ha . one involved a one-way fabric , the other , the 16-square , didn't follow your thorough instructions , so I mislaid my blocks ; oops ; but I'm gonna keep on …. ha ! )

5. sjr585 June 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm - Reply

I like the one on the right as the center pops!

6. Tonya's Sewing Room June 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm - Reply

i love those plates, i like the polka dot center best……

7. Amber June 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Love the plates! While the one on the right does stand out more I think I like the one on the left better. Can't wait to see the finished product!

8. Jen June 30, 2010 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Oh wow, I really like those. Talk about a great update to your traditional Desden Plate. I have to say, I think I prefer the second (right) center. It just stands out more to me. LOVE them!!!

9. O'Quilts June 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Adorable..good job. I like the one on the right the best, but they are both wonderful.

10. Terriaw June 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm - Reply

These are so pretty! I love all the different fabrics you used for each strip. Very colorful. I like the dark center too.

11. Dusty June 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Beautiful! I'll be the odd one out. I like the one on the left the best. The center on the right stands out more, but I think it might be a little stark. The center on the left feels like it belongs and works with the rest better and it's just so happy!

12. Jackie June 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm - Reply

They are wonderful, but why do you have to choose just one? If you are going to have an even amount of dresdens then just alternate the centers. It would really give it some interest! They are both beautiful, show them both off!

13. Lindsay June 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Gorgeous!! Great Job Amy! Those are spectacular!

14. jabeybaby June 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Those are stunning!

15. Amber H. June 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm - Reply

I'd use the right one too.. it balances out the prints better.

16. by Daisy June 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm - Reply

wow! man, you are good! eheheh
    i like them both, but i prefer the colourful center instead of the polka dot center. that way, because the whole dresden plate is so colourful, you can choose a lighter background, like white or a pastel colour (light blue or something like that).
    but, if you prefer the background to be black, than the polka dot center is wayyy better.
    but that's just my opinion…

17. IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson June 30, 2010 at 2:40 pm - Reply

I like the one on the left.

Smiles,
    Kelly

18. Kingston's Kreations June 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm - Reply

WOW! These are amazing! I love both!!

19. Fiesta June 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Amy they are both gorgeous! Makes me want to make some again.

20. wishes, true and kind June 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Gorgeous! I totally love the one on the left :)

21. traceyjay June 30, 2010 at 3:39 pm - Reply

they're awesome Amy! Beautiful work!!! :)

22. KaHolly June 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Absolutely beautiful!! I've never seen Dresden Plates like those before. That's a lot of work! ~karen

23. Kate June 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm - Reply

I ABOSULUTELY LOVE these plates! I've been obsessed with making these lately, but it never occurred to me to layer them…..wowsers now my brain is in overdrive to make some MORE!! LOL Thanks so much for sharing. :) You seriously ROCK!!

24. Carol June 30, 2010 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Wow, those are awesome looking. You have been very busy.

25. mascanlon June 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Gorgeous! I like the darker center since it takes your eye out to the tips. The polka dots are cute too but bring your eye to the center…whats the effect you're after?

26. Janet June 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm - Reply

I love the colorful Dresdens! I like the one on the left best. I agree with mascanion about asking what effect you are after.

27. Barb June 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm - Reply

I love these plates–have never seen them layered like this before! I think the one on the left is my personal favorite! Visit my blog sometime too! Thanks!

28. Apple Avenue Quilts June 30, 2010 at 5:54 pm - Reply

These Dresden plates are so beautiful. I've never seen them done this way. All I can say is Wow!

29. Sarah Craig June 30, 2010 at 6:42 pm - Reply

Those are great and I like the one on the left best – the center doesn't compete with the outside circle for your attention!

30. krisvog June 30, 2010 at 7:50 pm - Reply

WOW!!!! That is all I can say!

31. Sherry June 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm - Reply

So colorful & beautiful. I think I like the one with the lighter center a wee bit better. Love them both though!

32. Allie June 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm - Reply

Wow…oh wow….these are so beautiful..they just POP!!!!

33. Alexis June 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Wow! Amazing plate stacks! I love the one on the left- the colors are so vibrant! And since I am a "more is more" kind of girl, I think it would look outstanding on a pieced background. Nice work!

34. creativedawn June 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Amy…they are so, so beautiful! I like the lighter center! Whichever one you choose will be a wonderfully, colorful quilt when done! hugz, Pam

35. Tara June 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I like the left and a non-pieced back. Other wise– I would never make one!!!!

36. endah lestari June 30, 2010 at 11:51 pm - Reply

I loved it. So colorful and cheerful. Can't wait to see the complete one…

37. Jenny's Craft Place July 1, 2010 at 1:15 am - Reply

Amazing!!! I love the colours, and layers….absolutely beautiful :) Happy crafting, Jenny

38. pat sloan July 1, 2010 at 4:03 am - Reply

Use both!! I'm dying to do a dresden plate…mmmm… maybe I need some in a quilt for my next book!! Your layered ones are awesome

39. randi July 1, 2010 at 5:24 am - Reply

wow! so very pretty!

40. anita July 1, 2010 at 6:04 am - Reply

OMG! those plates are awesome. you are so inspiring. I am so so going to copy you. hope that is ok.

41. Linda July 1, 2010 at 6:15 am - Reply

They are equally beautiful!

42. Melissa July 1, 2010 at 6:17 am - Reply

Wow, I love the layered look. Did you just shrink the size of the normal template you would use? I love the look of both and like the idea of using both in your layout. I think I just added another to-do on my project list. :)

43. Carla July 1, 2010 at 6:28 am - Reply

Wow the dresden plates look so pretty in both centers. Why not alternate them?

44. Heather Crowe July 1, 2010 at 6:52 am - Reply

Definitely the right one. The fabric kind of anchors it. I actually really like the dark gray too for the background.

45. teresamnj July 1, 2010 at 8:01 am - Reply

Wow! They are so beautiful, but the thought of even trying to attempt a Dresden Plate scares me to death. I think I need to get a few more basics under my belt, but hopefully, someday I'll be adventurous and confident enough to try one.

46. VickiT July 1, 2010 at 8:42 am - Reply

Oh how wonderful. I really love the one on the left best. Such pretty colors.

47. Snuglewmn July 1, 2010 at 8:45 am - Reply

Love them both, but the one on the right just stands out between the two of them.

48. Petit Debutant July 1, 2010 at 9:20 am - Reply

I'm curious to know how it goes sewing through all those thicknesses

49. Micki July 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm - Reply

I love the one on the left…Your Dresdens are wonderful. Where did you get the pattern?
    Micki

50. Amy July 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm - Reply

These would be SO cute as placemats…hmmmmm

51. Gari July 1, 2010 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Oh, they are beautiful. I love doing dresdens but I have never done stacked dresdens. What a great idea. Can't wait to see the quilt they become.

52. Lisa July 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Those are the prettiest dresden plates I've ever seen! I think the one on the right really pops. The center on the left makes the middle plate look a bit more dull. So it depends on what you are going for!

53. hair accessories July 12, 2010 at 8:45 am - Reply

Yay! They are both adorable. What I like most is the right one with the light center because the darker color stands out pretty. =)