Challenge Quilt Complete

Hi friends :)  I hope you had a great weekend!  We spent ours in Dinosaur, camping with the kids.  I’ll have to tell you about it later this week.  Right now I want to show you the mini quilt I made for a design challenge with the local guild.

I was given this page from a seed catalog, and given instruction to take inspiration for a quilt from it.  I mentioned before that I really liked the picture on the left, with the shadows and variety of green…Here’s the finished product ::

The most artsy quilt I’ve made to date!  I first put in the lines, thinking about the vines, while not straight vines do offer structure and support.  Then I added as much haphazard free motion quilting as I could in order to keep all my circles in place.

Some of the edges are bent over onto itself and others flap a tiny bit.

I hope you can see the texture in this one.  I didn’t wash it, but I did throw in the dryer with a bunch of wet clothes!  I wanted it to fluff up without too much fraying :)  What do you think?  I had fun just being creative with it – I tend to over think stuff…

—–
If you are planning to quilt-along with me this week, here’s a few posts that will help to prepare you ::

Basics:  Accurate 1/4″ Seams
Basics: Cleaning a Sewing Machine
Basics: Squaring Your Fabric
Basics: Unpicking Stitches
Pressing Seams Open

I’ll be back tomorrow with our first two blocks!
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:52+00:00 June 21st, 2010|finished quilt|23 Comments

1. Melissa June 21, 2010 at 5:58 am - Reply

I am so looking forward to the first two blocks tomorrow. I am giddy with excitement!

2. Cecily June 21, 2010 at 6:18 am - Reply

That's really pretty. It's a beautiful art quilt and love the impressionist feel and the depth the quilting adds to it.

3. harleywife June 21, 2010 at 7:25 am - Reply

what a nice piece of art you have created ; as usual !

4. Natalia from Piece N Quilt June 21, 2010 at 7:52 am - Reply

Super cute! Hope you're having fun camping! :)

5. momto2wasd June 21, 2010 at 8:09 am - Reply

It looks great! How do you manage to work so quickly?? I'm amazed!

6. Ann @ makethebestofthings June 21, 2010 at 8:57 am - Reply

Love your design and your process. Very creative and clever! I only make small quilts for my Santa dolls but larger quilts always inspire me. Clever lady!

7. mom June 21, 2010 at 9:44 am - Reply

What fun!

Did you NOT turn under your edges on this circles to applique them on the main piece? What about ravel?

Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

8. Leslie June 21, 2010 at 10:02 am - Reply

this is so cool

9. Marlynn June 21, 2010 at 10:18 am - Reply

Gutsy quilt, turned out great though! As for the Camping if its the Dinosaur I'm thinking of, I had no idea there was camping there, but then why would I when I live right next door! Haha

10. Vicki June 21, 2010 at 10:35 am - Reply

The quilt is so cute!
    Dh and I went to Dinosaur when I was brand new pregnant with my oldest child. We've got to get back there with the kids some time!

11. Kelly O. June 21, 2010 at 10:40 am - Reply

I'd say it's a winner ;)

12. Allie June 21, 2010 at 10:52 am - Reply

That's darling – I love the texture of it too! Good job Amy!

13. Ramanda June 21, 2010 at 11:30 am - Reply

Ooo I wanna hear all about your camping trip! Dinosaur Nat. Monument is one of our favoritest camping spots. There is a spot where the Yampa and the Green rivers meet called Echo Park!!! Breathtaking! I am biased though because I grew up in Vernal so it was literally my back yard. Hope you had fun!
    Love your pea quilt! It turned out wonderfully!

14. em's scrapbag June 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm - Reply

What a great idea for a challenge. You did a great job! Love it!

15. Bev June 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm - Reply

I love your interpretation of the peas! Fun piece and fun idea.

16. live a colorful life June 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm - Reply

I think you took the inspiration and made a really great quilt!

17. Lisa June 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Beautiful! Great interpretation!

18. jenashford June 21, 2010 at 7:40 pm - Reply

How cool! I'd like to try something like this someday!

19. Lindsay June 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm - Reply

what a cool quilt, love all the texture, and good for you for exploring something different. its often hard for me to go outside the box with design, I'm a very by the book kind of girl who marvels at those who can venture from the book :)

Can't wait for the quilt blocks to start! My fabric is all ready to go!

20. krisvog June 22, 2010 at 10:09 am - Reply

I must admit, when I saw your work on this the other day, I could not even imagine how you were going to put it together. I also like more traditional quilts best. That being said, when the pictures came up on your blog, I really, really like it! Congratulations! This is really quite lovely. Thank you for sharing your progress and pictues with us.

21. Cheryl Arkison June 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Great finish, even if it is still peas…

22. Cheryl Arkison June 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Great finish, even if it is still peas…

23. Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon December 12, 2011 at 10:23 am - Reply

This is wonderful! Absolutely love it.

I love the idea of making a quilt based of an inspiration. A few years back my husband, who is a writer, participated in a creative swap. He received a painting and had a month to write a poem about it. A sculpture got one of his poems and had to create a piece. It was part of a gallery night event. Very fun! I love to see different types of art mingling together.