Library Trip!

After school yesterday – we went to check out a few books!  The only thing on Owen’s mind is a “choo-choo book” – thankfully the librarian came to put one away as we were searching for Thomas.  Emmalie and Sophia each look for the books with interesting covers, today there were a few sparkles on the pages.  :)  And Ella is free to roam the chapter books in search of something that will hold her attention – she devours books!

After they have made their selections, we all went trooping upstairs – there’s a few seating areas, and they mostly looked through their books while I took a few minutes to look around.  I rarely have the chance, as I’m usually chasing Owen, or making sure the girls use their quiet voices (like, none!).

I found this treasure!  Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day I’ve been wanting to read this book for a while, but have not taken the time or $$ to do so.  I have read a couple of chapters so far, and I’m excited to bake really good bread!  I’ll let you know how it goes :)  Do you like to bake bread?

I’m always tempted to eat too much of anything that I bake, so I try to avoid it for the most part. We’ll see how that goes!

PS – How is it that we are already a week into MAY!?  too fast!
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:55+00:00 May 6th, 2010|In the Kitchen|25 Comments

1. Kriza May 6, 2010 at 6:11 am - Reply

I love baking bread, but try to avoid doing it nowadays as I cannot resist eating home made bread, and I am trying to lose some weight… – my poor family… :-)

looking forward to your tips though :-)

Kristina

2. amylouwho May 6, 2010 at 6:16 am - Reply

I ♥ this book so much! My first loaf of bread turned out wonderfully! Good luck! I hope you love it.

3. Arlyn May 6, 2010 at 6:32 am - Reply

I hadn't made bread for years (I hate the mess-I'm the sloppiest baker ever!) until I rented that book; I used the first recipe-it was wonderful. I now own the book! The dough lasts quite a while and tastes better (more sour) as it ages. Enjoy.
    Arlyn

4. Andrea May 6, 2010 at 7:17 am - Reply

This is a great book, I've made several batches from it and had to take a break as we would just eat too much of it! LOL

The basic boule loaf is great but we loved the 'white bread recipe' further on in the book – made for better sandwich bread.

Love the book!

5. Candied Fabrics May 6, 2010 at 7:46 am - Reply

mmmm…I've seen a lot of blog posts out there on bread like this…I've not yet tried it myself!

6. Leslie May 6, 2010 at 8:02 am - Reply

i bought this book a while back for my uncle who is a regular bread baker(when he retired from teaching that is what he did every day)…he now swears by this book and says it is amazing…best of all it eliminates the need to get up super early to do bread for breakfast. he can now just pull some out of the fridge and be done and have it in the oven in minutes. i need to get my hands on it!@!!!

7. Amy Sp May 6, 2010 at 8:09 am - Reply

I've only made the basic bread recipe from the book, but we love it so much at our house, that I haven't bothered to try any of the others. I hope you enjoy it too!

8. tong May 6, 2010 at 8:49 am - Reply

I borrowed that book from my local library as well! I only just tried the basic master recipe but it was very good! I just got their new book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day from the library this week, I've been waiting for the weekend to finally try it out! I don't think you'll be disappointed! And library is such a great resource, mine has all kinds of sewing and quilting books too!

9. Lisa May 6, 2010 at 8:51 am - Reply

I'm surprised you were able to get that book so easily! It has multiple holds in the SLCounty library system and I am still waiting. Have you read "My Bread: the revolutionary no-work, no-knead method by Jim Lahey"? I love the no-knead bread! So crusty and wonderful texture inside.

10. Mindy May 6, 2010 at 8:54 am - Reply

Looks like a great book (and find)! We love the library too – glad you were able to go.

11. call me crazy May 6, 2010 at 8:55 am - Reply

Yum! I love baking bread, rolls, homemade pizza dough~ have fun! :-)

12. I Love Baby Quilts! May 6, 2010 at 9:23 am - Reply

Hey, I just got that book too! I tried it out, results at the end of this post:

13. Jo Anna May 6, 2010 at 10:24 am - Reply

I tried this bread and bought the book. They have another book out and another one due to come out. I make the boule dough and roll small balls of dough out and cook it on the grill when we grill. SO YUMMY! They have a website http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com where they give tips and ideas.

Enjoy!

Jo Anna

14. MomBrose May 6, 2010 at 10:30 am - Reply

oh, I love making our bread! It doesn't last as long as store bought bread (for a reason!) but we blaze through bread anyway :D I am on the lookout for a good USED breadmaker though. I hear it makes life SO much easier. And cleaner.
    Can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

15. Robyn - Coffee and Cotton May 6, 2010 at 11:22 am - Reply

This book is amazing and I love the recipes and it is so easy! Hope you enjoy it too.

16. Petit Debutant May 6, 2010 at 11:44 am - Reply

I love making bread the 5 minute way. I've tried a few recipes from their blog and they are super easy. My MIL got be the healthy bread book for my birthday and I love the one wheat brioche. It is so good and super easy!

17. adnohr May 6, 2010 at 11:50 am - Reply

haha, I have a kitchenaid mixer that's been sitting unopened for seven years because I am afraid that when I open it, I'll bake and eat everything and put on 40 pounds. But a friend of mine has used this book and loves it, even if she does eat too much bread. I suppose it's better than buying bread filled with HFCS, or paying for artisan loaves that you might not finish before they spoil.

18. Sara May 6, 2010 at 11:54 am - Reply

We like the European Peasant Bread recipe best from that book. We are only two people, so the dough lasts too long. Therefore I make two loaves at a time and give one away. Everyone always raves and wants to know how to do it. I have four friends who are now making this bread!

19. Debbie aka Marblesbestfriend May 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm - Reply

We LOVE homemade bread! We requested that book through our library inter-loan system but are far down the waiting list. Will check out the healthy bread book mentioned in previous comments, too. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about the recipes.

20. CJ May 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm - Reply

I just checked my libary (online) and it is in and available! Now on hold for me and hubby will pick it up. Pretty sure I don't need to be baking and eating bread but…
    I'll just blame YOU! :D

21. Vicki May 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm - Reply

I've heard about this book, can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!

22. Jessica Levitt May 6, 2010 at 11:34 pm - Reply

I have this book and it's AMAZING. But sadly TOO amazing. I wish I could make (and eat) fresh bread every day, but it's just not a good idea for my waistline.

23. Catherine May 7, 2010 at 1:00 am - Reply

I love making bread and always fills the house with a wonderful smell. Good luck with yours!

24. "Lois Grebowski" May 7, 2010 at 8:25 am - Reply

YOU. WILL. LOVE. IT.

Buy some Plugra butter and enjoy.

25. ivyarts May 7, 2010 at 8:30 am - Reply

I've been baking our bread for a few years now. Beware, it will totally spoil you for good bread. You'll never want to buy it at the store again. :)