Ella’s Dress!

I woke up yesterday morning feeling much better!  A good night’s sleep was just what I needed :)
During Owen’s nap I took a couple hours to finish Ella’s dress, and then in the evening I worked the blind hem  out with my machine and hemmed the other two dresses.  whew!  It feels good to be done with these!

Ella’s dress is Simplicity 2993, no sleeves to put in, but the collar is a bugger to get in.  End result is really cute though!  The fabric is Alhambra II, again I let Ella select the fabrics she wanted her dress made with, and she loves it!

Now I just need to get the three of them in the dresses and take their pictures – sounds easy enough, right!?

Blessings~

PS – Do you have questions about garment sewing?  I’ll answer in the comments, if you do!

I’m linking up here:

Check it out!
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:57+00:00 March 25th, 2010|sewing|36 Comments

1. Jackie March 25, 2010 at 5:02 am - Reply

Amy, It turned out just beautiful!! I am sure that Ella just loves it!

2. Goddess in Progress March 25, 2010 at 5:06 am - Reply

Wow, that's gorgeous! I'm pretty new to sewing clothing, should I attempt this or will I lose my mind?

3. ginger March 25, 2010 at 5:07 am - Reply

I have this pattern for my girls, and even fabric for it… hopefully will get to it this Spring.
    Yours turned out fantastic! I love the fabric choices!

4. Terriaw March 25, 2010 at 5:21 am - Reply

This one turned out cute! And it looks so comfortable to romp around it. I bet if felt good to get some rest so you could feel better enough to finish these dresses.

5. jlk March 25, 2010 at 5:28 am - Reply

I love her fabric choices! What a cute dress. My oldest would love that style. I'll have to hunt down the pattern.

6. Thimbleanna March 25, 2010 at 5:44 am - Reply

Very Cute Amy! Sounds like everyone will be all set for spring. Good luck with the pictures LOL!

7. RWL March 25, 2010 at 5:52 am - Reply

I've never sewn clothes before but I'd like to start. What's your recommendation for the best beginner pattern for a skirt? Thanks!

8. em's scrapbag March 25, 2010 at 5:54 am - Reply

Ella will looks so cute in this dress. I've been busy making skirts for Anna.

9. Cara March 25, 2010 at 6:11 am - Reply

I turned out beautifully! Good Luck getting the girls into them at the same time and the same place to take a picture!

10. Leslie March 25, 2010 at 6:12 am - Reply

this looks so pretty. great job.

11. creativedawn March 25, 2010 at 6:57 am - Reply

WOW! It is a gorgeous dress! I really love the combination…

hugz
    Pam

12. Amy - Park City Girl March 25, 2010 at 7:05 am - Reply

Liz – I just about lost it with this collar! I would start with something simpler until you are more comfortable with curves, and funky shapes.

I noticed yesterday that Simplicity patterns will be $1 at Joann's April 1-3; good time to collect a few to try :)

RWL – I would start with something with straight lines, and not too much detail. there's a group of learn to sew patterns that look fun here – http://www.simplicity.com/c-386-learn-to-sew.aspx and the it's sew easy has a more options – http://www.simplicity.com/c-160-its-so-easy.aspx?pagesize=99999999

13. IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson March 25, 2010 at 7:37 am - Reply

What a beautiful dress. Do I need garment sewing help? Can you translate the patterns to me? I know all the basics…but I always have difficult with the words…because I"m a visual learner…they need more photos :)

I admire your making those beautiful dresses….what a gift.

Smiles,
    Kelly

14. Amy - Park City Girl March 25, 2010 at 7:48 am - Reply

Kelly! Until the last couple of years, I would call my mom to talk through the directions – for whatever reason that seems to help! I would love a translation too :)

15. Busty LaRue March 25, 2010 at 8:27 am - Reply

What a pretty dress! It turned out so cute!

I usually don't sew clothes. For some reason, they terrify me! I'm a quilter, and quilt patterns just seem a little more straightforward to me. Of course, I have made every one of my son's Halloween costumes, and I did venture to make a skirt once, but had to keep running next door to my SIL's house for help!

16. Kim @ Everything Etsy March 25, 2010 at 8:40 am - Reply

Wow! Making three of them would take me a year! :) They would grow out of them before I finished. LOL

Thanks for bringing your beautiful post today!

~Kim

17. SewCalGal March 25, 2010 at 8:48 am - Reply

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Ella's dress is beautiful!

SewCalGal

18. MomBrose March 25, 2010 at 9:07 am - Reply

Looks very cute! And very complicated :) I tried sewing reagan a dress and I think the terminology was my biggest hiccup. I didn't know what the words meant so I had no idea what I was supposed to do! :) To this day it has to be safety pinned closed! :)

19. Jingle March 25, 2010 at 10:13 am - Reply

That is beautiful! You really did a fabulous job with it!

20. Emily {Creative Chicks} March 25, 2010 at 11:00 am - Reply

Yep, I thought this one looked familiar. (I had to go back and check the pattern numbers to be sure I wasn't deceived…) I made this same dress for my then 7 yr old last year. I LOVE it!!! Seriously, the style it is so cute on little girls.

21. Anonymous March 25, 2010 at 11:03 am - Reply

hey Babe…beautiful!! The fabrics are so different than what I'm looking at for the girls; I might have to reconsider; but green will always work for Em I know. Didn't know you were changing your blogspot address; good idea. Identification! Way to be out there; I'm for amazed, deligted and proud of you. Not sure about the cowboys boots; but if Rich can wear Carhart and go deer/bear hunting I guess you can wear cowboy boots! LOL; send me those measurements even text me them. love you, Mom

22. Anonymous March 25, 2010 at 11:04 am - Reply

cute haircut; but I liked the other one too, Mom

23. Meghan March 25, 2010 at 11:30 am - Reply

Amy,

Thanks for the link to the beginner patterns. Do you have any advice for someone who has never used a pattern before? I've never sewn clothes, but I really want to try!

24. Amy - Park City Girl March 25, 2010 at 11:57 am - Reply

You are welcome Meghan! I would say start simple, maybe with a thrift sheet even so you don't waste fabric if you make a big mistake. And smaller does not equal easier – those little pieces are challenging!

I find talking through the directions helps too, even alone, talking out loud helps! lol, at least for me :)

25. Barbara March 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Amy,
    Love the girls dresses…..I am trying to finish up two dresses for my 5 year old grand. She seems to be growing faster than I am sewing…..good thing that I didn't start out with her exact size. Love to sew for my little ones….I raised all boys and they didn't appreciate my sewing until now. Glad that you are feeling better.
    Hugs, Barb

26. Deb March 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm - Reply

Cute dress! And I LOVE IT that your whole post was in Bloglines!!! It makes it so much nicer. Thank you!

27. Elizabeth March 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm - Reply

I think this is my favorite of the three! I love the dark trim fabric. Can't wait to see them all together in their new dresses!

28. Carol T March 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm - Reply

All I can say is "WOW!".

29. Robin March 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Wow! The dresses are all gorgeous! Your girls have excellent taste. And you are an awesome mama to create such lovely frocks. :) Beautiful work!

30. Tales From My Empty Nest March 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm - Reply

The dress really turned out nice. I love the fabrics. It looks so comfortable too. Love & blessings from NC!

31. Vicki March 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Amy, it looks great! Way to go with the blind hem stitch, too :)

32. Allie March 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm - Reply

GORGEOUS – this is amazing to me, I only make pajamas cuz nobody sees them but me. I love the fabrics in this!

33. audreypawdrey March 26, 2010 at 4:59 am - Reply

This is beautiful! I love the colors she picked out. I am trying my hand at sewing garments, and I will have to try the patterns you mentioned above in the comments. My mom is coming to visit this week-yay!- so I have help!

34. amylouwho March 26, 2010 at 6:06 am - Reply

I love all 3 dresses! I just bought a pattern to make Alison a dress yesterday. It's a cute little peasant dress. I want to make it right now, but I have several other things to work on first!

35. Candy March 28, 2010 at 5:26 am - Reply

I love the dress. Ella did a great job choosing fabric!

36. Barb March 30, 2010 at 6:40 am - Reply

what a great dress! I love dresses – this one is a winner!