Basics Tutorial : Sewing Accurate 1/4" Seams

While a lot of quilts can be made without using an accurate 1/4″ seam, if you are following a pattern, best results come with accurate seams.  Today I’m sharing a good method for finding accuracy for you and your machine!

My best example of a inaccurate 1/4″ seam is this block –

I love this block, but that tiny white strip was not in my original plans.  I did all the math, worked out all the details for a perfect 12 1/2″ x 18 1/2″ block, just before adding the last row – I measured.  Thank goodness!  I then calculated the needed piece, added it, and vowed to get my 1/4″ seam accurate!

Here’s what I’ve learned, and how you can achieve an accurate 1/4″ seam.

These are the sewing machine feet I’m using, a 1/4″ foot, and a standard foot with a wide needle opening.

Cut a few strip sets, at 2 1/2″ wide, mine are 5″ long.

Verify that your foot is attached tightly, or it may be wobbly.

Put your fabrics under and sew.  My fabrics are lined up and butted against the rail on the side of the foot.

Now set your seam and press.  Yes, I like to press open, and in this case it lays nice and flat for the next step.

Measure your set.  It should measure 4 1/2″ exactly.

See how that little bit could add up in a block, like my example?

Let’s make a small adjustment, and try again.  These are my standard settings, when I turn on my machine –

Here’s the adjustment – move the needle .5 mm to the right –

Sew another strip set, set and press the seam, now to measure!

Exactly 4 1/2″, and the seam is at 2 1/4″ – an accurate seam!!  Here’s a closer look –

But I know that not everyone has that nifty little foot – so let’s look at the regular foot.  Grab your ruler and masking tape, and set down with your machine.

Put your needle down and measure 1/4″ away.

Gently lay down a piece of tape, 1/4″ away from the needle.

See the problem here?  It’s covering the feeddog – not a good thing.  You always want your fabrics to feed evenly through the machine, and they may get sticky if you piece a lot.  My foot has lots of room for the needle to move, so that’s what I’m going to do!

ETA: You could test this placement, then when accurate, mark it on your bobbin cover with a permanent marker.  Especially helpful if your needle doesn’t move in so many increments like mine.

I moved the needle to the right 2.0 mm – I’m just guessing here, it’s all about trial and error with your machine!

Put your needle down again to measure and mark your 1/4″ with tape.

Notice that the tape seems to line up with the edge of my foot!?  Sew a strip set together, set and press your seam to measure it.

It’s really close again, but not exactly 4 1/2″.  One minor adjustment should be all that is needed!  I moved my needle to the right just .5 mm once again.

Sew, set and press a strip set, and then measure, again.  Success!

Looking at it slightly closer again, it measures 4 1/2″ and the seam is at 2 1/4″ – accuracy!

I realize that not everyone has as nice of a sewing machine as I do, you can make this work for your machine, learn about the different needle positions and feet.  There’s a good combination for the two of you too!  It took me about 10-15 minutes to work out both of these methods for my machine, a little time well spent, and full of rewards as you piece your next project.

**I should say that the middle of a project is not the right time to change your methods – consistency for this project is good, and accuracy for the next one is great!

I hope that this is helpful!  Anyone have anything else to add? Questions?  I’ll answer them in the comments for everyone :)
Happy Quilting!

Connect with me!

Sign up to get my occasional newsletter! I promise not to share your information, or send too many emails.

You can also : Email me ~ Check out my books on Amazon ~ Purchase autographed books, patterns, and notions in my shop  ~  Join my Facebook page ~ Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side for regular blog updates in your reader

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:57+00:00 March 11th, 2010|Tutorial|83 Comments

1. ~Q~ March 11, 2010 at 6:07 am - Reply

What a great post!! Thanks so much for the tips – I'm off to figure out the needle position for my machine as I have the 1/4" foot and I have noticed that I'm just a skoosh off but it's "worked" so far. Although it's been an annoyance. Thanks for your post as it was timely as I was starting to get annoyed as to why my blocks were never "perfect"!

2. Terriaw March 11, 2010 at 6:16 am - Reply

Nice demo! When I took beginning quilting classes many years ago at our local quilt store, we learned the importance of this 1/4" seam in quilting. I don't have a digital machine, so I don't have the ability to move my needle like that. In class, we were taught to use the tape method. But if it covered our feed dogs, we laid down the tape and made a mark with a black sharpie. That mark became our 1/4" seam guide. Worked great!

3. pinsandneedles March 11, 2010 at 6:25 am - Reply

I agree with you about accuracy. It definitely takes the frustration out of matching seams. It looks like I have the same machine as you as I also adjust for accuracy as you showed in your demo. Works great! Thanks for sharing.

4. Scarlett Burroughs March 11, 2010 at 6:31 am - Reply

I had to share this great tutorial with Craft Gossip readers here

I didn't know until last year that there was such a thing as a 1/4" foot. Thanks for sharing your know-how (and your mistakes) with all of us. I have plenty of my own I could share!

Warm regards,
    Scarlett Burroughs
    Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

5. audreypawdrey March 11, 2010 at 7:23 am - Reply

This is great information, Amy! I have been trusting that my 1/4 foot is accurate, so I will have to check it now. Before I had a 1/4 foot and a new machine that would allow the needle to move, I used the tape method and then sharpied the line on my sewing machine which worked fine.

6. Leslie March 11, 2010 at 7:26 am - Reply

thanks for the details!!!! the 1/4 seam is something that i have always had to be careful of in my work…this will help

7. rosie/the fabric shopper March 11, 2010 at 7:32 am - Reply

Your tutorial is so wonderful and laid out so nicely! I enjoy your perfectionism :-)

8. Quiltin' Jenny March 11, 2010 at 7:33 am - Reply

Great demo. I am about to teach my first beginning quilting class, and have definitely bookmarked this post to show my students!

Thanks!

9. Susan March 11, 2010 at 7:47 am - Reply

This is great! Thank you!!!! I'm just teaching myself how to quit and it's been A LOT of trial and error. Thanks for helping!

10. WoolenSails March 11, 2010 at 8:00 am - Reply

I have the star foot, but haven't had a chance to use it much. But, I never thought to measure and see if I am actually getting a perfect 1/4", so will have to try that.

Debbie

11. Jana March 11, 2010 at 8:01 am - Reply

I am just starting out with blocks also and have been frustrated. Thanks so much!

12. Yuki March 11, 2010 at 8:03 am - Reply

Great tutorial!

ttfn :) Yuki

13. "Lois Grebowski" March 11, 2010 at 8:09 am - Reply

Awesome tip!!!!!

14. Misa March 11, 2010 at 8:15 am - Reply

the machine I quilt on is nowhere near as fancy (no digital stuff). I have ended up putting several pieces of tape together and below the plate on the plastic part of the machine (but close enough I can do it accurately), I put the tape so at a certain width I can sew a 1/4" seam. It works for the most part. I'm going to ask for a better machine this year for my birthday however LOL.. just have to keep working with till then.

15. Christi March 11, 2010 at 8:19 am - Reply

thanks for this information. very very informative. i didnt know there was a 1/4" foot until i went into my singer store to get other parts. the owner asked what i used my sewing machine for and suggested other items..i'll have to check my accuracy….this is very helpful..

16. Crystal Hendrix March 11, 2010 at 8:20 am - Reply

If I only had a new machine (sung to if I only had a brain) I guess they go hand in hand! Thanks for the advice!!

17. Janet S March 11, 2010 at 10:08 am - Reply

I loved your tutorial because I just recently took a class and my runner was off and I was useing the 1/4 inch foot also. May I ask what machine you have because it looks like mine also? Thank you so much for this info I certainly will use it.

18. felicity March 11, 2010 at 10:13 am - Reply

Thanks for this, Amy! I am definitely going to try it.

My problem isn't so much the 1/4" question but rather that I have a hard time keeping my fabric lined up at the beginning and end of seams so they sometimes curve. I think it's the pressure of my presser foot but that doesn't appear to be adjustable.

19. paulette March 11, 2010 at 10:27 am - Reply

Hi Amy!!
    FINALLY someone talking my lingo!! Thank you so much!! We have the same machine- at least the scene looks the same (Janome) so this is going to be SO helpful!!! Must bookmark this page so that I can find it when I have my machine out…THANKS again!!
    Paulette

20. Amy March 11, 2010 at 11:06 am - Reply

THANK YOU so much! I had to trim all of my blocks to 9 1/4 instead of the intended 9 1/2. I am gonna figure this out. I am virtually positive that I cannot move my needle since my sewing machine was first used by the Flintstones but that tape idea is a good one.

21. Sara March 11, 2010 at 11:21 am - Reply

What a great post – I had been thinking that just by using that foot I was going to be accurate…

Now I can really check things out.

Thanks…

22. Vicki March 11, 2010 at 11:41 am - Reply

my machine is similar to yours, and I press seams to one side. I get accurate 1/4" seams if I use the 1/4" foot and put the needle at 4.5 :)

23. Mary March 11, 2010 at 11:45 am - Reply

Thanks for an awesome tutorial Amy! This is really helpful!

24. Julliana Lund March 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Great post. I had this problem myself and as i don't have a nifty 1/4" foot I just had to work with the setting until I got it right. But now I know the settings to use for a perfect seam.

25. Julliana Lund March 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm - Reply

26. Amy - Park City Girl March 11, 2010 at 12:26 pm - Reply

My machine is a Janome 4800 – I bought it at allbrands.com and it's my second Janome – my first is 3/4 size, that I got shortly after Joe and I were married. Now a great machine for my girls :)

27. Lynn Osborne March 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm - Reply

I use foam tape instead of the blue tape because it gives a little bit of a lip that the fabric can run alongside. I don't put the tape all the way to the feed dogs just close enough that it doesn't interfere with the foot.

28. tammiemarie March 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm - Reply

funny you posted this! I just realized two days ago that when I switched machines at Christmas, it never occurred to me that my new foot was a different size than my old one. nothing had been affected so far – but I need to adjust it for my next project!

29. JC March 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Hello and thank you for posting this. I will read more of it soon. I am trying to learn how to quit..recently took two (what were suppose to be beg quilting classes–one modern quilt and the other log cabin). I was so discouraged in the mod quilt because it was very hard for me to sew 1/4 seam. I am a beginner sewer and am use to 5/8. And the instructor let everyone know throughout the entire class about my not sewing the 1/4 inch.
    The log cabin instructor was more understanding–knowing that it takes time AND practice: no way these skills will be mastered in a one day class or in a 2 part class. :-) Thanks again.

30. Cheryl Arkison March 12, 2010 at 8:22 am - Reply

Good job! Another example of how a small investment in time goes a long way.

31. Cheryl Arkison March 12, 2010 at 8:22 am - Reply

Good job! Another example of how a small investment in time goes a long way.

32. Cheryl Arkison March 12, 2010 at 8:22 am - Reply

Good job! Another example of how a small investment in time goes a long way.

33. MomBrose March 13, 2010 at 10:20 am - Reply

FANTASTIC! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! :)

34. sewcolorful March 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Thank you for the tutorial. It was very helpful. I was working on something today that needed the PERFECT 1/4" Seam. This helped me test it out.

35. sewtakeahike March 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm - Reply

oh wow Amy! thanks for the tips. I can't say that I've sewn anything where perfect accuracy is a huge issue, but if I ever do, I will know where to come! I usually just beat my projects into submission :)

36. Jenny @ Anything Pretty March 17, 2010 at 10:56 am - Reply

Thanks for all the tips! I am a beginning quilter and my accuracy has started to become an issue. I am so going to try this!

37. Erin March 17, 2010 at 9:06 pm - Reply

This is a great post. I've been wondering how to do this exact thing! Thanks!

38. Cathy April 9, 2010 at 5:31 am - Reply

Ah Amy, you have solved my problem for me! I have always felt my 1/4 foot is not exact, but never really thought about how to fix it. This is perfect, how simple and yet did any of us think of it? Thanks so much for sharing this Amy xo

39. Angela April 14, 2010 at 5:09 am - Reply

I have never even thought about this issue! Wow, I'm totally checking on that today…thanks!

40. Lindsay May 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy for this awesome tutorial!!

Lindsay

41. Cayne9 January 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Thankyou it is so encouraging to read others comments and to know that your not the only duh out there.
    fantastic tutorials love your website

42. […]  on the wrong side of the 2 7/8″ squares mark a diagonal.  Then check the accuracy of your 1/4″ seam as that will be important as we […]

43. pinkbrain April 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tutorial! Now my 20 year old singer is retrofitted with a lovely piece of tape that gives me a perfect 1/4 inch seam!
    They don’t even make a 1/4 foot for my machine, so this was very helpful.

44. Elena @ Breakfast for Dinner June 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Great tute! I’ll try one of these. My machine lets me save settings, so now I’ll make one for 1/4″ seams!
    I have one of those feet with the guide on the side, but it doesn’t seem to be accurate at all and is pretty flimsy. Too bad.

Thanks Amy!

45. Suzi July 1, 2011 at 5:33 am - Reply

Wow – I needed this post like 3 years ago when I decided to make a quilt (with NO supervision, guidance or lessons….) I inherited my ex’s grandmother’s singer that I do believe she purchased in the 1960’s… The block pattern I chose has 28 pieces per block, and I made 26 of the needed 36 blocks……. and they ranged in size from 10 1/2″ (not necessarily square) to 12 3/4…. they are supposed to be 13″ before sewing them all together…….. I just put the blocks in a plastic tote. And that’s where they’ve been until this week. That Singer just could NOT feed the fabric through in any sort of a straight fashion. I tried to mark the 1/4″ on it with tape, but had to take it off when the bobbin ran out. I guess I never got the tape back exactly where it belonged.

I broke down and purchased a new machine a couple of weeks ago. After reading and surfing through a BUNCH of quilting blogs, I got the blocks out and am currently (and carefully) taking them apart…….. piece by piece by piece……. Believe it or not – it is rather therapeutic…….

My new machine is a Brother and it has measurements on it and I bought the 1/4″ foot with the guide piece.

Tonight I will be (carefully) pressing my pieces back into shape and begin sewing them all together again. I can’t wait! And hopefully, I’ll be able to surprise my sister at Christmas.

If things don’t go well, I’ll send smoke signals!!!

Hugs ~~ Suz
    inspiringcreativeness.blogspot.com

46. Richard Healey January 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Wonderful example it will help me out alot. Just started quilting and making and keeping strait lines is killing me. I like your foot with the edge will have to find one that fits my machine.

47. Linda Gemser March 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm - Reply

Great tips. Thank you. A quiltlover from Holland

48. Sewing Tutorial seams – Sewing Tutorial | Sewing » Blog Archive April 26, 2012 at 11:58 am - Reply

[…] How to sew a fagoted seam | ColetterieSewing Tutorial | French All Your Seams | grainlineBasics Tutorial : Sewing Accurate 1/4" Seams | Amy’s Creative SideTutorial: 20-minute pillowcase with no exposed seams · Sewing […]

49. Gloria .P. April 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm - Reply

Thanks for the wonderful tip…will be using it for future projects.

50. Jane K. July 23, 2012 at 10:01 am - Reply

I like to use a stack of Post-It notes on the right side of the pressure foot so I can’t go over…sorta Sewing for Idiots :)

51. Lynda d July 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm - Reply

My basic sewing machine has 3 dials and the centre dial is for moving the needle left and right. it has 3 ovals with dots in the left centre then right to show that turning the dial moves the needle. I now discovered that for some reason my needle has moved, could be that I made myself a change purse (with a zipper).

I am making a Seattle street quilt, which requires an exact 1/4 inch. I have discovered that the strips has decreased 1/4 inch in 3 seams! I now realize that I have to recheck the seams every once in awhile, just to save me time. Thought people should every once in awhile re-check to see it hasn’t moved. It doesn’t help that I’m not that consistent with my rotary cutter. lol Yeap a newbie here.

52. Donna August 26, 2013 at 2:47 am - Reply

Thanks so much for this tutorial (and others as well)! I am new to sewing, and trying to figure all these things out on my own has been difficult and frustrating. You are helping to make this the “relaxing” hobby and know it can be :)

53. Deb December 23, 2013 at 1:02 am - Reply

IF you’re using a machine where you can dial needle position this is great.

I have five different machines I use, and I have one that I can dial. The rest were try, measure, mark, try again, remeasure, remark until I learned for every one where the perfect seam is.

54. […] machine, new 1/4″ test – even for a new block! Here’s a link to my […]

55. Christina in Cleveland July 18, 2014 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Thank you Amy!! I think it was also you who wrote to check each time I start a project or change my thread. Some threads integrate better and some suck up space. :)
    I use a post it note pad instead of painter’s tape. Same effect. :) Thanks again!!!

• Rose July 23, 2014 at 6:29 am - Reply

Have struggled with 1/4 seems for sometime and any help is very much appreciated/ My machine is old so do not have a lot of flexibility with moving the needle to get precise accuracy.

56. […] Patterns by Paula of The Sassy Quilter Cutting with a Rotary Cutter by April of {The Studio Blog} The 1/4″ Seam by Amy of Amy’s Creative Side Accurate Piecing by Jessie of messy jesse Chain Piecing by Deanna […]

57. Jeanette September 29, 2014 at 7:32 pm - Reply

I own a quilt shop and have multiple machines set up. I mark everyone with tape so that no matter what machine is used, the seam allowance is consistant. I may need to sew on different machines depending on who is in my shop working on a project. I recommend this to all my customers. I also reccommend they use the same manufacturer for rulers so measurements are consistent as slight variations occur between manufacturers!

58. Regina October 2, 2014 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tutorial. Loved it!
    It will be very helpful for me.

Hugs from Brazil

59. ترخيص شركة أمريكية, October 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm - Reply

تأسيس شركة في الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية,ترخيص شركة,ترخيص
    موقع,تأسيس شركات,Business in america,Business in america llc,شركة في ديلاوير,ترخيص شركة أمريكية,

• Rose December 3, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply

Thanks for the tips on 1/4 seam. My machine has only three settings for the needle and there is little scope to move the needle. I still have difficulty with getting accurate seams but will be trying your tips to see if it will work for me.

60. Fred October 21, 2014 at 7:23 pm - Reply

One of the places where lotto players can buy Mega Millions lottery tickets
    online is Win – Trillions. While shopping online price comparisons is very much important.
    here; Fred, But you just need to have a little savvy follow a few rules and have a system in place to happily
    spend hours in fruitful chats.

61. Aaliyah October 22, 2014 at 7:15 am - Reply

The doctor will give you natural hair loss information on what vitamins that might help with
    the problem. Hair loss in women is generally very
    gradual, with the rate accelerating during
    pregnancy and at menopause. Unlike dryers which emit heat,
    these machines emit low-level laser.

62. Leigh October 23, 2014 at 11:45 am - Reply

Y sí, también posibilita usar WhatsApp desde tu Mac tu ordenador.

63. This Site October 23, 2014 at 4:08 pm - Reply

It’s very simple to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as I found This Site article at this web page.

64. Evlilik Psikoloğu October 26, 2014 at 3:11 am - Reply

Hello I am so excited I found your site, I really
    found you by error, while I was searching on Digg for
    something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a marvelous
    post and a all round interesting blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great
    deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

65. nasi kotak surabaya October 27, 2014 at 4:30 am - Reply

magnificent post, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this sector
    don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

66. Humana People to People Belize October 31, 2014 at 12:55 am - Reply

Humana People to People is a global network of aid agencies from more
    than 40 countries on five continents. Forged during the upheaval engendered by the system of Apartheid
    in South Africa in the 1970s, Humana recognized that the end of colonialism and Apartheid in 1994 was not the end of suffering.

While they had assisted in winning the fight
    for equality in South Africa, there were communities in need
    across the globe. The obvious continuation of their program to help people
    in South Africa was to extend this aid to the rest
    of the world. Thus, Humana People to People was born from
    the struggle for basic human rights for all people.

To call Humana People to People an aid agency is to oversimplify its core guiding principles and
    its aim when it enters communities. Rather than simply offering aid in the way that one might cover
    a wound with a bandage, Humana seeks to transform whole communities, giving them tools that will enable
    them to solve their current problems and guard against issues that might arise in the future.
    This is a “top down” approach that maintains the only way to aid both
    people and communities is to fundamentally change the core elements that keep them from succeedi\

67. Home Construction Advisor October 31, 2014 at 12:27 pm - Reply

What’s up, always i used to check blog posts here early in the morning, for the reason that i love to find out more and more.

68. nfs world hack and tools November 17, 2014 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Quality posts is the important to attract the visitors to pay a quick visit the
    website, that’s what this web site is providing.

69. Great site November 24, 2014 at 12:41 pm - Reply

you’re really a just right webmaster. The web site loading speed is incredible.

It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a magnificent activity on this topic!

70. wimpernserum November 25, 2014 at 11:40 am - Reply

Consider using baking soda as a means to add some vibrancy to your
    hair. To deal with greasy or oily hair, shampoo every other day and just rinse with water on the other days.
    Every one of the treatments from Lashem is natural, safe and affordable.

71. Loola December 18, 2014 at 10:02 am - Reply

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for games loola

72. insurance houston tx December 27, 2014 at 6:27 am - Reply

Nice blog right here! Additionally your website lots up very fast!
    What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink
    on your host? I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

73. Becky January 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Thank You! I have finally straightened myself out with the 1/4″ seam! I now have some confidence in moving on from little wonky projects to a quilt. I got this!!

74. […] as is an accurate 1/4″ foot for your machine. If you don’t have a 1/4″ foot, Amy’s tutorial here is a good place to start to make sure you are sewing with an accurate seam […]

75. コスプレ衣装 February 6, 2015 at 10:48 pm - Reply

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player.

76. […] Basics Tutorial : Sewing Accurate 1/4″ Seams […]

77. Silvana (a.k.a. Silort) July 28, 2015 at 7:28 am - Reply

Dear Amy, I am reading this post 5 years after that you have post it, and although passing 5 years, it is still soooo important and actual, even for an experient quilter because it is always very interesting to see the other quilter’s methods! Thank you sooo much for sharing! Hugs from Brazil!
    XO
    Sil

78. Think Big Quilt Along August 10, 2015 at 1:29 am - Reply

[…] have everything cut, plan on an hour or so to make each block. For ease of sewing, double check your 1/4″ seam allowance before you get started, all those little pieces can make things a bit more challenging if your seam […]

79. Wendy August 6, 2016 at 11:35 am - Reply

Hi Amy do you have any solutions or recommendations on getting a straight 1/4″ at the beginning and end of the seam? Mine seam tends to get narrow at the end like the feed dog is pulling more to the left than the right. Which it is true since there is all fabric going through on the left side and a narrower piece going through the right.

80. Nancy September 30, 2016 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Thank you for the idea of tape placed 1/4″ from needle. My machine is metric and so the increments on the face plate are metric. I thought I had done 1/4″ seems and discovered they are 3/8″. I think I and going to finish the rest of the piecing at 3/8″ to be consistent. I may lose a few inches but I will make it up with wider borders.

81. canadian pharmacy September 20, 2017 at 11:09 am - Reply