For a New Big Sister!

One of Ella’s teachers is expecting a new baby boy, and has a 2 year old little girl at home.  When I learned this I started thinking about what I could do/make for the new babe!  Unfortunately, I’ve had zero time for extra quilt projects, so I put it on the back burner in my mind.

Then I received this amazing cut of fleece from Valori Wells, it is so soft and snuggly!  In the end, we decided to make a special blanket for the big sister, from Ella, who is our big sister.

Quick instructions:  Square up your fleece, buy satin binding, pin in place as you go, and stitch!  A walking foot probably would help with the creeping nature of the satin, but it’s a sweet little fast blanket.

Ella was able to give the blanket to the soon-to-be big sister, at school (apparently she came for the art lesson) and it was a well received gift!  I’m praying that her baby makes an entrance soon!

Blessings ~
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:18:59+00:00 January 28th, 2010|finished project|16 Comments

1. amylouwho January 28, 2010 at 8:06 am - Reply

So cute! I love that fleece. I saw some great stuff at Joann's, maybe this is what I need to do with it.

Like your new header! Getting ready?

2. Allie January 28, 2010 at 8:18 am - Reply

That is so sweet. I know when I had my second baby it meant so much to me when a gift was given the the big brother. Cute blanket.

3. Kim B January 28, 2010 at 8:21 am - Reply

That is so sweet!

4. allsewnup January 28, 2010 at 8:31 am - Reply

So sweet and a nice alternative to a quilt. Love the flowers.

Carolyn

5. Natalia January 28, 2010 at 9:01 am - Reply

Very cute! What a great fast idea! :)

6. "Lois Grebowski" January 28, 2010 at 9:23 am - Reply

That's sooooo sweet! Love that Fleece print, too!

7. I Love Baby Quilts! January 28, 2010 at 9:37 am - Reply

I loveeee that print! But I prefer the gold colorway. I didn't even know they had fleece. Is it anti-pill fleece I wonder?

8. Bradie Sparrow January 28, 2010 at 9:55 am - Reply

Looks fabulous and fast! How is that satin binding to work with? I love the look of it, but I've been chicken to try it. :)

9. Amy - Park City Girl January 28, 2010 at 10:01 am - Reply

Bradie~
    It's a bit slippery, so the walking foot helps, otherwise pin in small sections, it's going to shift – so pinning the whole thing would end up frustrating!

Give it a try :)

10. Lara January 28, 2010 at 10:31 am - Reply

Lovely gift idea!

11. Mindy January 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm - Reply

So cute and GASP! possibly even something *I* could do!

12. Cindy January 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm - Reply

Super cute! I was given some fleece last week I've been wondering what to do with it… hmmm… great idea!

13. Vicki January 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm - Reply

what a great gift. I haven't ever used that satin binding stuff yet. Maybe someday. :)

14. Tales From My Empty Nest January 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Can you believe that Valerie Wells actually worked at the quilt shop in my town before she became famous. She even helped teach the children's sewing class that my daughter took. Small world, isn't it? It would be fun to go to Valerie's Mom's quilt shop/show sometime. I have loved reading about Valerie in the quilting magazines and she has beautiful fabrics. I love your little fleece blanket. So adorable!!! Love & blessings from NC!

15. Andrea Baker January 31, 2010 at 8:54 am - Reply

This is a beautiful little quilt. I love those types of flowers. YAY to the soon to be big sister!

16. audreypawdrey February 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm - Reply