Color Wheel Inspiration

Hi there! With all our trips to the library – I have exhausted the quilting books of interest. So with our last visit I brought home a design book! I’ve been checking out more home design type mag’s too when looking for inspiration – I find myself more and more challenged to make my own quilts instead of a pattern.

The photography in Design! is stimulating and the text is worth reading. I found myself drawn to Chapter 3 – Visual Elements and his section on Color, and felt the inspiration coming on :)Love that color wheel! And so I started looking for quilt inspiration on flickr, this is just a taste of what you find when searching “color wheel”.

Color Wheel Inspiration
1. Oh, 2. inspiration day one, 3. 10-08 crazy color wheel, 4. DQS#7 Top Finished. Clockwise?, 5. FQ Stack for Color Wheel Quilt, 6. Black Color Wheel quilt top done!, 7. Full view of DQS7 quilt, 8. color wheel, 9. The front

Created with fd’s Flickr Toys

Being the individual that I am, I cannot copy any of these beautiful creations, but I know that I will have to create a quilt reminiscent of a color wheel in the near future! I need to go organize my chest of fabric and see what scraps I can pull together :)

Also in my color wheel hunt I found a couple of great articles —
Purl Bee – Thinking in Color
All People Quilt – Choose Fabric with Confidence

Be Inspired and Enjoy the process!

—————————————-

Email me

By | 2017-02-06T09:19:05+00:00 September 1st, 2009|Inspiration|24 Comments

1. Ruth September 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Hi I'm new to your blog and quilting too and choosing fabric is very hard for me so thank you sooo much for posting these links – I think they'll help tremendously!!!! Love your blog too!! :)

2. Blue Is Bleu September 1, 2009 at 2:19 pm - Reply

I had been thinking about doing a baby quilt in rainbow colours, much like the DQS7 quilt… love colours :D

3. RosaMaría September 1, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

wow!! beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!!

4. Natalia September 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm - Reply

I love the Oh quilt!

5. Meg September 1, 2009 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I love all those pictures you found–can I favorite this post? *grin*

6. amylouwho September 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm - Reply

You are awesome! I've always loved the color wheel! what a great idea to look at design books – I've been toying with designs in my head but am not sure where to take them. Like i have point a and point b but no clue what's in between!

You are always inspiring!

7. Terriaw September 1, 2009 at 6:23 pm - Reply

I am always inspired by color wheel projects too. I love how you put this process together by looking design books from the library. I have a color wheel bundle from Purl, and love to just start at it on my dresser. Can't wait to see what you make!

8. Helen September 1, 2009 at 11:09 pm - Reply

Great post Amy. I recognize one of those quilts! Love using rainbows in quilts. They just turn out so happy!!

9. Vivian September 2, 2009 at 5:11 am - Reply

Thanks for great food for thought — and the pictures to go along with it.

10. Jessica September 2, 2009 at 6:27 am - Reply

I really cannot wait to see the color wheel- inspired quilt!

11. jaybird September 2, 2009 at 6:43 am - Reply

i love color wheels… in fabric, paint, just about anything!

12. comfortstitching September 2, 2009 at 6:56 am - Reply

The colour wheel is calling me too! What fantastic inspiration you found, isn't flickr just amazing!!

13. Thimbleanna September 2, 2009 at 10:46 am - Reply

Oooh, great inspiration Amy! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

14. LollyChops September 2, 2009 at 11:52 am - Reply

Oh these are so fab! What amazing inspiration you found!

15. Andrea September 2, 2009 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Awesome! Scrapbooking aisles also give me inspiration for colour combinations. You can also get a rotating colour wheel in the artist paint section of your art store/craft shop which gives ideas for primary, complimentary colours. If you have an IKEA nearby, I love to go there for the modern colour combos as well. They have a fabric section as well and you can get some neat ideas. Inspiration is coming up all around me, though. I think I've really caught the bug. For instance, that show Hell's Kitchen? I love the red tile wall designs… i think that would look fabulous as a quilt. LOL.

16. Andrea, the collector September 2, 2009 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Oh, I LOVE that Oh quilt. Boy, you found such fabulous things!!!

Hoooooray!

17. Cristin September 3, 2009 at 6:17 am - Reply

Great post, thanks for getting me thinking out of my typical color box! I love those color wheel quilts :-)

18. Calico Road September 3, 2009 at 10:56 am - Reply

Hey! That's my DQS7 quilt! Thanks for including it, I'm glad it could be part of your inspiration collection. Can't wait to see what you put together.

19. Michelle September 3, 2009 at 1:18 pm - Reply

What a fantastic idea. My favourite quilt to make for kids is one that uses all of the colours of the rainbow. I am going to have to try this sometime. You are too inspirational!

20. amandajean September 4, 2009 at 7:27 am - Reply

what great inspiration! i would love to translate the photo from the book into a quilt. so simple and so good!!! i'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

21. Rebekah September 4, 2009 at 7:37 am - Reply

beautiful inspiration photos! I've always wanted to make the color wheel quilt in the purl patchwork book (last minute quilting?)…one day I'll get around to it :)

22. colourdujour January 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm - Reply

i am new to your blog too, and i love colour! have you seen
    Oh!Franson quilt-a-long it's her 2nd version of the colour block quilt. go see

23. Kelly February 16, 2010 at 11:39 am - Reply

I made a color wheel quilt several months ago, and thought I'd share it here, as it only seemed appropriate:
    Enjoy!

24. Kathlene Prescott May 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm - Reply

For more on Color Wheels, check out Maria Peagler's Color Mastery Book.