The Quilted Quilt

Usually I wait until I have bound and washed a quilt to post, but this quilting was so inspired and I love it! I had actually thought I would be selling this quilt, as my girls are no longer babies (and I’m not having more!). BUT, Sophia claimed it, we “tried it on” her, and after all the quilting I’ve grown pretty attached to it. It will be staying here! Even Joe mentioned it would be a little sad to sell it since I’ve put so much effort/time into it!

Here it is – do you see my addition?
whole quilt

There’s a heart, stippled right there –
my twist
There’s a bit of puckering on one side of the heart – if I do it again I would do the heart first. Live and learn :) I’m hoping it will be less noticeable once it’s washed.

What do you think? Are you inspired to try something new!? I hope so :)

I had originally planned on doing an exaggerated zig-zag to be more interesting. I found the heart when I was adding tape to the quilt top – and had to work out details around it.

Joe and I are having dinner out tonight to celebrate our anniversary. Thank you for all your congratulations and well wishes! I agree we need a current picture of us together – those are hard to come by. And so it will be a little project for me – thanks for the push :)

Have a great weekend, and many blessings ~

—————————————-

By | 2017-02-06T09:19:05+00:00 August 14th, 2009|finished quilt, quilt-along, work in progress|61 Comments

1. ~Michelle~ August 14, 2009 at 11:59 am - Reply

Amy, this is so fabulous! you must keep it, it's the evidence you have of all the hard work you did for the Flickr group! :)

2. Amber August 14, 2009 at 12:02 pm - Reply

It looks amazing – hope you have a wonderful dinner with your hubby!

3. Artfulife August 14, 2009 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Absolutely beautiful!

4. Heather August 14, 2009 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Love the heart – it is so unexpected – glad you are keeping it, I would imagine it would be hard to part with.

5. synnove75 August 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Wow what a job you did on this quilt! Soooo nice:-)

6. synnove75 August 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Wow what a job you did on this quilt! Soooo nice:-)

7. synnove75 August 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Wow what a job you did on this quilt! Soooo nice:-)

8. ellen August 14, 2009 at 12:23 pm - Reply

it's beautiful!

9. roseylittlethings August 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm - Reply

very cool, love the heart. so am going to try to work on mine today, then I need to back the huge one, yikes, scared to quilt it!

10. Beth August 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Inspired! Of course! I just cut my first three fabrics for Dana's tutorial quilt. It will be my first quilt ever! And then I'll do the zig-zag. I would have never thought something this amazing would seem attainable! Thank you for the simplicity of the instructions, and I can't wait to get on to my second quilt. Maybe I'll make it a Chirstmas one. How on earth do you ever sell any quilt?! It would seem impossible to part with one from this side of the coin. I can already tell so much of me will be a part of my quilt! Thanks again! And happy anniversary!

11. Cheryl Arkison August 14, 2009 at 12:36 pm - Reply

What a perfect shot!

Here's a tip for next time you do something like this, I learned it myself the hard way. If you are switching up a design like this you do need to do the small design first, as you said, but when you go to quilt the rest start from the design and work the edge of the quilt, not the other way around. Fabric will want to move in the direction you are quilting, no matter how well you baste. Better to encourage it to move to the edges where it can all be dealt with when squaring up.

Have a great dinner!

12. Jackie Russell August 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Love the quilt and the stippled heart. I still have a zig zag quilt on my things to do list…someday.

13. amylouwho August 14, 2009 at 1:04 pm - Reply

I'm glad you aren't giving it away! It really is so beautiful!

14. Natalia August 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm - Reply

I LOVE how you've quilted it! I'm sure that once it's washed you won't even notice the puckering:)

15. Andrea August 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm - Reply

This has got to be my favourite so far of yours! the quilting just totally makes it. What a great job. And no, you cannot sell it. I was going to suggest what Cheryl did – I learned to quilt from the middle out to avoid puckers.

Congrats on your anniversary!

16. SaraRules August 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Love Love Love!! It has such brilliant texture! Great job, Amy!

17. Cheryl August 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm - Reply

I love the heart, too. I am definitely going to put this in one of my future quilts!

18. Vicki W August 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Definitely a keeper!

19. Cassie @ You Go Girl August 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Fabity-fab-fab Amy! I can see why you're going to hang on to it. Somethings just belong at home, don't they?

Enjoy your dinner date,
    Cassie

20. Ariane August 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm - Reply

I love the quilting. It's look great.

21. Sarah August 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

This is really beautiful! From your flickr pictures, it looks like you used your presser foot as your guide for the lines, but your lines are so spot on straight. Then I saw that you mentioned using tape. I can only imagine how much work taping was, and I KNOW how much work quilting it is.

Love the zig zag quilting!

22. Georgina August 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Its lovely – I love to see little secret surprises included! I am glad it's a keeper for your family!

23. I Love Baby Quilts! August 14, 2009 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Funny, when I first looked at it, I saw hearts, not zigzags. I think I subconciously saw the hearts because of the stippling! Love!

24. kwiltmakr August 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Nice job on the quilt. I would keep it too. Have a nice romantic dinner with your hubby.

25. Jackie August 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm - Reply

What a terrific quilt!! Love the fact that you quilted a heart shape. Perfect for your daughter. This one is definitely a keeper. I hope you have a lovely time tonight celebrating. My hubby and I have a date night tonight too. Dinner and a movie. Looking forward to spending some time with him.

26. CJ August 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm - Reply

So good looking with all those lines quilted in! LOVE the heart that you stippled too. So did you just use your foot as a guide for the straight lines or did you tape it???

27. Becky August 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Awwww … I LOVE this. The heart is just perfect for the quilt. Brilliant!

28. em's scrapbag August 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Happpy Anniversary! Your quilt looks fabulous. I love your stippled heart!

29. Juliejaz August 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm - Reply

It's beautiful! You did such a wonderful job. Congrats on your anniversary.

30. Blue is Bleu August 14, 2009 at 3:54 pm - Reply

It's so beautiful!!! I love it :)

31. Dana August 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm - Reply

I've told you before that I think you are brilliant. Now I KNOW you are.

32. MomBrose August 14, 2009 at 5:07 pm - Reply

It's beautiful. Such a labor of love :) I'm sure it "fits" sophia just great! ;D

33. Tipper August 14, 2009 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Yep-thats a keeper for sure!

34. Andi August 14, 2009 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Beautiful quilt.
    Beautiful quilting.
    Happy anniversary.
    Andi :-)

35. Mindy August 14, 2009 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Lovely! Just beautiful and lovely. Hope you guys had a fabulous anniversary!

36. Adrienne August 14, 2009 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Simply STUNNING!!!
    Happy Anniversary!

37. Bowlby August 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm - Reply

I love the quilting! It's perfect.

38. Jeannette August 14, 2009 at 7:15 pm - Reply

The pattern so has the look of the old crochet patterns for afghans.
    Tiny puckers will be absorbed as it finds its settling place. When we sew we see things that are so tiny and picky… Don;t point them out…let them blend in and just see what a lovely job you have done in your creating!

39. joyinhim August 14, 2009 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Your quilt is beautiful! I wouldn't have been able to part with it either.

40. Leslie August 14, 2009 at 9:24 pm - Reply

the quilting is so beautiful! what a fabulous quilt. i don't blame you for wanting to keep this one

41. The Quilt Buddy August 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Hi Amy!

I just wanted to "introduce" myself to you. I have found your blog and I am in love!

Thanks for the inspiration!

42. Jan August 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Love the quilt. Now, I'm inspired to try a zig zag quilt.

43. amy smart August 14, 2009 at 11:10 pm - Reply

Amy this is FABULOUS! The quilting is amazing. I wouldn't be able to part with it either! So nice.

And Happy Anniversary!!!!

44. randi August 15, 2009 at 12:05 am - Reply

What a great quilt! I am sure all of that amazing quilting took hours!

45. Amy Seven-Stitches August 15, 2009 at 12:12 am - Reply

It's definitely a keeper. I love those quilted ripples.

46. Chris and Abbie August 15, 2009 at 1:50 am - Reply

This quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I'm glad to hear it will be staying in your home. Great work!

47. Anonymous August 15, 2009 at 9:57 am - Reply

Good Morning, I love your quilt and the way you quilted it. The heart is a wonderful surprise. Enjoy your time together. Sandi szil949@yahoo.com

48. Cindy August 15, 2009 at 12:01 pm - Reply

I love how you quilted it and the special heart is a wonderful addition!

Enjoy your dinner and weekend!

49. Jessica August 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm - Reply

I love it, I love it, I love it! That zig zig quilting is perfect!!

50. Mary on Lake Pulaski August 15, 2009 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Very nice zig zag Amy – the quilting makes it look amazing!

51. Thimbleanna August 16, 2009 at 8:29 am - Reply

Wow! That's a lot of quilting! I love the pretty colors!

52. Terriaw August 16, 2009 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Wow, your quilting looks amazing! I love the secret heart too. How wonderful to have this one almost finished too.

53. sewtakeahike August 16, 2009 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Amy I love how you've quilted it! It's completely striking. I'm currently in a mode of improving my quilting creativity. In fact, I have a post ready to go tomorrow about it. It's so funny how so many of us are on the same page so much of the time!!

54. Zarina August 17, 2009 at 1:05 am - Reply

It would be a shame to send it off to a new home after all that quilting. I'm quite sure the pucker will not show and nobody can find it (I know from experience – and if they do, I just say shhh).

55. jaybird August 17, 2009 at 6:44 am - Reply

the heart is a sweet touch!! and it looks fine to me.. but hey we live and learn.. i pick up new things with sewing every day!!

56. Michelle August 17, 2009 at 8:04 am - Reply

The quilt is fantastic. I would not want to give it away. Happy belated anniversary wishes to you and Joe.

57. audreypawdrey August 17, 2009 at 4:53 pm - Reply

This is beautiful! I love the heart you added. It is perfect!

58. Melvin August 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm - Reply

What a great work…
    It looks beautiful…

___________________
    Melvin
    We do your Marketing for best sales

59. Rebekah August 19, 2009 at 6:42 am - Reply

beautiful! I love how you incorporated the heart into the zig zagging!

60. Andrea August 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm - Reply

Oh wow, Amy! The texture of that quilting is so darn cool!!! Love it!

61. 2miracles/Tove August 20, 2009 at 8:07 pm - Reply

I agree with many other you should keep this quilt it is beautiful. Sophia with cerish it as she grows kid dont care if quilts fit. they just know they were sew with love. it like always having the person who sewed it there.