Quilt Along Progress

I have to admit it – I’ve been overwhelmed by the project I took on. A queen, almost king sized quilt! What was I thinking??

4-patch blocks

To have a few less pieces to deal with I made 4-patches of my blocks. Great idea! I had decisions to make for each block but not all at the same time, and I did it while watching tv in the evening after the kids went to bed :)

Before I sewed my groups together I laid a few out to get an idea of the final results –

progress

This is a quarter of my blocks, I’m now full of excitement and energy to get it together! For today I’m taking a little break though — I took my machine in for servicing. Thankfully the little shop in town has a 24 hour turn around! Nothing is seriously wrong with it, but using it everyday it needs a little TLC to be happy.

So the afternoon weather has been crummy here. My girls love to play out while Owen naps – I highly encourage it too! This is them today trying to stay warm while the winds blew hard and the storm clouds rolled in.
Winter coats and shorts are a good look – don’t you think!? I pulled them in to watch Tinkerbell with popcorn – all is well :)

I’m ready for it to be less stormy, but oh well. I’ve been working on gathering items from the house for a garage sale this weekend too – hopefully it stays dry enough for that!

Blessings to you –

By | 2017-02-06T09:19:06+00:00 June 11th, 2009|My kids, quilt-along|34 Comments

1. Cassie @ You Go Girl June 11, 2009 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Great color combo, Amy. I think you are very brave to bite off such a big quilt. I know you will ROCK it.

Take care,
    Cassie

2. Jackie June 11, 2009 at 2:15 pm - Reply

I love how the quilt is progressing. It is more time consuming to do such a large size but the outcome will be worth it. Your girls look so cute! It sounds like you might be having the same kind of weather that we are having, rainy and cool…. some spring?!

3. Chelle June 11, 2009 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Stunning! It's so beautiful and I know it's going to turn out perfectly!

Love the pics of them outside :) Reminds me of when I was little and had those rare chilly summer days. I hope the sun starts shining for you guys!

4. Terriaw June 11, 2009 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Your quilt looks wonderful so far! Good for you for tackling such a big quilt – I bet you will get a lot of use out of it, which will make all your work worth the effort.

5. Kaye June 11, 2009 at 4:27 pm - Reply

wow! good for you, making one that size. Will you quilt it yourself? The colors and materials look so nice. It sure will be a treasure for your family for a long, long time

6. Stephanie June 11, 2009 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Pretty colors. It looks great laid out. Largest quilt I've ever done was a king…107" x 107".

7. roseylittlethings June 11, 2009 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I finally got all the strips sewn and about half of the blocks cut. As I was cutting blocks I started to wonder if I had lost my mind making a quilt this big since I am a fairly new quilter unlike you:) I feel better now after reading your post. Only thing that is weird is my blocks are only 10"x10" I am wondering if the cutting or the sewing is off. Oh well. I got 108 blocks so now I need to do some math, yikes!

8. ~Michelle~ June 11, 2009 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Looks awesome! I need to get working on mine – seeing everyone's progress is giving me a kick in the rear ;)

9. Sherry June 11, 2009 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Almost a king size quilt is you are out of your mind Just kidding. Great look to the quilt your combo is great.

10. Thimbleanna June 11, 2009 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Ooooh, Amy — I love the way your quilt is turning out. You have a great eye for color combinations!

11. Janis June 11, 2009 at 6:33 pm - Reply

It is going to be a charming quilt! I love the fabrics. It certainly is exciting when something comes together like you want it to, isn't it?! Can't wait!

12. Becca June 11, 2009 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Those blocks are looking gorgeous!

I hope your weather improves soon, ours has had some crazy storms as of late.

13. RED PEPPER QUILTS June 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm - Reply

Your quilt-along is progressing so well! I love the colors/fabrics you have chosen. It is coming together nicely!

14. Brenis June 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm - Reply

You can do it!! You can do it!! You're already more than half way there!! Wow, and that's saying ALOT for such a large quilt! :D Yup, i still think you're half nuts, and half uber brave! LOL
    It looks fantastic so far!!
    Blessings, Brenis ;)

15. CJ June 11, 2009 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I love your quilt, commented at the FLICKR group too. Smart idea on the 4 blocks! I will need to catch up next week, going away for the weekend.

16. melissa s. June 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm - Reply

the quilt is going to be gorgeous! thanks for the sneak peak :)

17. itsystitch June 11, 2009 at 7:53 pm - Reply

your color combos are really gorgeous! one of these days I will work up the courage to try a quilt

18. Mary on Lake Pulaski June 11, 2009 at 8:20 pm - Reply

Your quilt along fabric looks so good together. I love the overhead photo of the girls!

19. kwiltmakr June 11, 2009 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Your quilt is coming along great. It will be huge for sure.
    This has been the strangest spring, hot then cold and rainy and on and on. Hope your garage sale is a big success. I would come if I were in your area.

20. jacquie June 11, 2009 at 11:20 pm - Reply

big…but fabulous! i really love your fabrics. all that effort will be so rewarding in the end.

21. Kelly@ Charming Chatter June 12, 2009 at 4:56 am - Reply

It's FABULOUS! I love it – and that's a great idea to break down this huge quilt into sections! Your girls are too cute – hope it warms up for them soon!

22. Treasuresofjoy June 12, 2009 at 4:59 am - Reply

Great colors! I am a bit overwhelmed by the size of this project too, but I think it will be beautiful!

23. em's scrapbag June 12, 2009 at 7:02 am - Reply

Quite the fashion statement. I love it. The weather has been a little damp here lately. I thought we lived in a desert. I'm feeling like I'm back in Oregon.
    Love your quilt.

24. Letterpress June 12, 2009 at 10:01 am - Reply

I had to laugh when I saw your exclamations about a king-sized quilt. I have owed my son one of the those for about a year (bought the fabric last Thanksgiving, but we'd been discussing it for a while) and just yesterday began sewing on it. Like you, I broke down the size into easy to manage blocks (Log Cabin) and I'll be busy on this for a while!

I enjoy your blog–thanks!

25. comfortstitching June 12, 2009 at 12:55 pm - Reply

Your quilt is looking utterly fabulous! And the size, what a feat!! Just think how lovely it will be to snuggle up in!

26. Sherri June 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Your quilt along quilt is looking wonderful!

27. STEPHANIE. June 13, 2009 at 6:05 am - Reply

wow, your quilt looks beautiful! I love the colors!…and thanks for the blogger advice.:)

28. nicolette June 13, 2009 at 11:24 am - Reply

Your quilt will be stunning! I love the fabrics and colours, you can make any size you want!

I was scared off of beginning this quilt-along because of the size…

29. Ryan June 14, 2009 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Looks great Amy! I love the aqua and brown combination.

The fabric looks so familiar to me. The name of the line is on the tip of my tongue.

Can you remind me? :)

30. sewtakeahike June 14, 2009 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I love all the color in your quilt Amy! I finally got around to working on a quilt top with the jelly roll I won from Candace a few months ago and I'm putting a few final touches on it tonight. Good luck quilting your mega quilt!

31. Michelle June 15, 2009 at 9:23 am - Reply

Amy-Love the way this is looking…so neat to see what fabrics look like cut up and put together in different designs. Looks like it's Tina Givens Treetop fancy? Can't wait to see finsihed quilted.

32. amandajean June 15, 2009 at 9:57 am - Reply

the quilt is going to be gorgeous!

33. Rebekah June 15, 2009 at 12:08 pm - Reply

your quilt may seem overwhelming right now, but it's going to be amazing when it's finished. I already love how the sneak peak looks!

34. ivyarts June 21, 2009 at 6:39 pm - Reply

I love your fabrics. It's looking great. I decided to make two lap quilts. I couldn't face another bed sized quilt right now. Can't wait to see yours quilted.