Tutorial — Quilted Bible Cover

Before we get started – today’s my birthday! I’m 32 years young, and I bought my own present! Any guesses?? Don’t think to hard :)

This is what we are making to celebrate my day!
Tutorial - Quilted Bible Cover
Simple and easily personalized for anyone on your gift list, but don’t forget to make one for yourself too! To start gather your materials –

DSC_0015
I used two fat quarters and a bit of white for the lining, (you could use a third fat quarter) batting and interfacing. For notions you will need your pins, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, iron/ironing board, and a fresh needle in the sewing machine.

DSC_0018
Get everything cut in the beginning then it goes together pretty quickly.
From your exterior fabric cut –
12 x 18″ 2 – 4 x 14″ 1 – 1.5 x 18″
Interior fabric cut – 2 – 11.25 x 10″ 2 – 6.5 x 3.5″
Lining fabric cut – 11.25 x 17″
Batting cut – 12 x 18″
Interfacing cut – 11 x 16.5″ 2 – 4 x 14″

Math Interlude:
My Bible measures 14 3/4″ (full width of cover) by 9 5/8″. This is a common size, but not the only size Bible – please take a few minutes to measure your closed Bible before getting started. If your Bible is a different size pull out the calculator :)

For example —
12.5 x 8″
multiply 12.5 by 1.2 = 15
multiply 8 by 1.2 = 9.6 I would probably go with 9.5

I came up with the 1.2 after crunching numbers to add seam allowance and room for bulk, I wanted to know that my crunching was similar for the width and height. If you are altering the measurements please note that I cut the exterior piece larger than needed and trimmed it down after quilting.

Back to the fun stuff! Time to quilt your exterior piece, however you desire! This one has been diagonally quilted in one inch intervals
DSC_0019
I used my ruler with a 45 degree line to mark my piece.
DSC_0021
After quilting trim the exterior piece to 11.25 x 17″
DSC_0022

Handles and ties–
Add interfacing to your handles, 4 x 14″ pieces, then fold it in half and iron a crease.
DSC_0026
Open the fold and iron both sides into the center,
DSC_0027
keep your center crease sharp while pressing the sides in.
DSC_0028

Use the same method to make the tie.
DSC_0025

Back to the machine to topstitch –
DSC_0029

The completed handles –
DSC_0031

And ties –
DSC_0032
I treated the ties as one until now, cut them in half for two, and on one end of each finish the raw edge. I zig-zagged over the edge, like so.
DSC_0042

The pen pocket —
DSC_0033
Sew around three of the four sides, leaving the bottom open to turn it right side out, stitch 1/4″ seam.
DSC_0034
Clip your corners
DSC_0035
Turn it right side out, and press.
DSC_0037
I like to use a knitting needle to help press the seams out.

To add it to the cover, prep your interior pockets.
DSC_0038
Be sure to keep your height at 11.25″ and press a nice crease.
Pin your pocket an inch away from the fold
DSC_0040
Topstitch it in place.
DSC_0041

Pulling it all together —
Add the interfacing to your lining piece. Time to start building! Set your lining, right side up on a flat surface,
DSC_0044
Add the interior pockets.
DSC_0045
Add the ties at the center, and pin.
DSC_0046
Add the handles, 5″ apart is a good number for this size cover. Pin the handles in place, carefully keeping them straight.
DSC_0048
Now lay your quilted exterior piece, right side down, and pin in place.
DSC_0050
Mark an opening, about 6″ in between the pockets. Sew with 1/2″ seam, reinforcing at beginning and end. Go slowly over the handles.
DSC_0053
Clip your corners, and any extra bulk if possible.
DSC_0054
Begin to turn it right side out – you need to take your time as it unfolds.
DSC_0055
Use a handle to get it started.
DSC_0056
Once right side out, begin to press the seams into place. (I actually tried it on here real quick first!) Also use a few pins from the outside to keep the layers in place while topstitching.
DSC_0057
Topstitch all the way around the cover, this will close the opening you left to turn it right side out earlier.
DSC_0058

I think that’s everything! There are lots of little steps, but not too complicated, I hope it all makes sense to you! If not – PLEASE let me know! I want to fix it :)
DSC_0063
Add your Bible and enjoy your new cover!

PS – I have a pdf of this tutorial available here!

Online Quilting Class

Connect with me!

Sign up to get my occasional newsletter! I promise not to share your information, or send too many emails.

You can also : Email me ~ Check out my books on Amazon ~ Purchase autographed books, patterns, and notions in my shop  ~  Join my Facebook page ~ Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side for regular blog updates in your reader

By | 2017-07-25T11:35:09+00:00 May 22nd, 2009|Tutorial|83 Comments

1. Bethany May 22, 2009 at 5:12 am - Reply

Looks great! Thanks for the great tutorial.

2. Kari May 22, 2009 at 5:42 am - Reply

Happy, happy birthday!! I hope your day is special!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. This will make a great present.

3. Ashley May 22, 2009 at 6:20 am - Reply

A very happy birthday to you! I hope it’s fabulous!!

4. Happy Cottage Quilter May 22, 2009 at 6:33 am - Reply

Happy Birthday Amy! Great tutorial. Thanks :-)

Jocelyn

5. Terriaw May 22, 2009 at 6:46 am - Reply

Happy birthday to you! 32 is such a great age!

Love your project today! I especially love the diagonal quilting, and those handles are fab! I can see using this for so many things. Happy Day!!

6. Carlotta May 22, 2009 at 7:22 am - Reply

Happy Birthday to you Amy!!
    ~Tootles for now!

7. Purple Quilter Queen May 22, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

8. Purple Quilter Queen May 22, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

9. Purple Quilter Queen May 22, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

10. Purple Quilter Queen May 22, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

11. Purple Quilter Queen May 22, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

12. em's scrapbag May 22, 2009 at 8:00 am - Reply

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial.

13. I Love Baby Quilts! May 22, 2009 at 8:17 am - Reply

Happy Birthday! Hope you get everything you want!

14. Thimbleanna May 22, 2009 at 8:17 am - Reply

Happy, Happy Birthday Amy! Did you buy yourself some fabric???

15. Sarah May 22, 2009 at 8:18 am - Reply

Happy Birthday!!! I am almost 32 as well, in June! :) I hope you have a wonderful day! I love your Bible cover, fabulous job!!!!
    I bet you bought fabric! :)

16. Jackie Russell May 22, 2009 at 8:40 am - Reply

Happy Birthday, Amy. Thanks for the great tutorial.

17. L. Jane E. May 22, 2009 at 8:49 am - Reply

What a great cover, and have a fabulous birthday!

18. Carol May 22, 2009 at 8:58 am - Reply

Happy birthday. Hope you get to party all week-end. Liked the tutorial.

19. Andrea May 22, 2009 at 9:03 am - Reply

Happy happy birthday!! I hope you have a super day…let me guess, you bought a new vacuum? LOL!!!

20. Marrdy May 22, 2009 at 9:19 am - Reply

This I think I could do. It looks great!!

21. Michelle May 22, 2009 at 9:32 am - Reply

Happy Birthday Amy! Thank you for the tutorial. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

22. Holly May 22, 2009 at 11:43 am - Reply

Happy Birthday. I hope it is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I have been looking for an easy one.

23. angelabe May 22, 2009 at 11:44 am - Reply

Molto interessante. Grazie!

24. Amber May 22, 2009 at 11:49 am - Reply

Great tutorial – I need to make myself one.
    And Happy BIrthday – did you buy yourself some fabric? Hope you have a wonderful day!!

25. CJ May 22, 2009 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday!!!
    Thanks for the tutorial. I think I will make a couple of these. :D

26. Koningskind May 22, 2009 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Congratulations!
    What a lovely tutorial.

27. Sherry May 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday to you. To be 32 again Only in my dreams. Great book cover. Thanks for the great info.

28. roseylittlethings May 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!

29. Kaye May 22, 2009 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday Amy, may the year ahead be happy and healty and lots of material for you to quilt. I had trouble downloading and printing your tutorial

30. Becca May 22, 2009 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fun day!

31. RED PEPPER QUILTS May 22, 2009 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday! Wishing you another fabulous year!

32. JC May 22, 2009 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Hi Amy. Almost missed a birthday greeting-hope your day is/was well.
    Now…if I could only quilt (trying to read some beginner’s books now). The word Bible always grabs my attention. I’ll remember this tutorial and certainly use it when I’m ready. BTW: You give excellent, detailed instructions. Take care and as always, great blog and excellent work.

33. Mary on Lake Pulaski May 22, 2009 at 7:24 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday Amy!
    Great tutorial – nice and detailed.

34. Allie May 22, 2009 at 7:38 pm - Reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! I hope you got yourself something nice – can’t wait to hear! Thanks for the great tutorial!

35. Loris May 22, 2009 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday, Amy! Thank you so much for sharing the Bible cover tutorial…and especially the pdf! My mom needs a new one and I have just the fabric for it.
    Have a blessed year :-)

36. amylouwho May 22, 2009 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Yes, Happy Birthday! Did you buy some fabric?!

This is a great tutorial. Thanks for always sharing!

Oh and I’ve been meaning to tell you – I saw the Wonderland collection in person… oh my! I want ALL of it!

37. Carla May 23, 2009 at 3:28 pm - Reply

My goodness that’s pretty fabric! Great tutorial. Thank you. And I sure hope you had a great birthday!

38. mommymae May 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm - Reply

my grandma would love this. i’ll have to remember this come christmas.

happy birthday! now you are as old as me!

39. Tipper May 24, 2009 at 6:38 am - Reply

Amy-you really did a good job explaining the whole process!

40. Trudi May 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Belated Happy Birthday Amy. Great Tutorial, so many other applications for this too!

41. happy zombie May 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm - Reply

Happy, Happy Birthday Amy!

42. melissa s. May 25, 2009 at 9:00 am - Reply

happy (belated) birthday, Amy! awesome job on the tute. Hope you had a fun day!!

43. SewCalGal May 25, 2009 at 11:26 am - Reply

Amy,

Happy Birthday! I hope it is wonderful, and isn’t just celebrated over a day. There is a theory that someone that turns 100 should celebrate for a year, thus someone that turns 50 should have six months….so you should certainly get more than a day to celebrate your birthday “window”.

Enjoy!

SewCalGal

44. comfortstitching May 25, 2009 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Your tutorial is GReaT!!! Really well written and so proffessional looking too!
    Great design too with the addition of the handles, LoVe that!

45. Kelly@CharmingChatter May 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm - Reply

Happy (belated) Birthday, Amy! I hope you had a great day. And, another wonderful project! I love the fabric you chose, and the tutorial is great. What a Sweetie to share with all of us — thank you!!

46. sewtakeahike May 25, 2009 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you!!! It was my birthday last week too! I just sent you an email about it and popped over and found out it was yours too! I love being a May baby! and did you realize if you rearrange your name it’s May??

47. Ruby's Daughter May 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Happy belated birthday Amy. What a great little gift to give a girl when she receives her first adult bible (fourth grade at our church). Thanks for the tutorial!

48. amummy May 27, 2009 at 3:41 am - Reply

Happy Belated Birthday.

Thanks for sharing the pattern, I need to make a cover as my bible is looking a bit dog eared.

49. Rebekah May 29, 2009 at 5:49 am - Reply

very cute! Thanks for taking the time to post a tutorial!

50. amandajean May 30, 2009 at 9:17 am - Reply

happy belated birthday!!! hope your day was wonderful!

51. sewmarm May 31, 2009 at 9:05 am - Reply

Great idea and great tutorial. Thanks!

52. Anonymous June 30, 2009 at 7:55 pm - Reply

It looks so great!It's the best I have seen so far on the internet!
    What a lovely way to celebrate a wonderful birthday!

53. Phyl July 23, 2009 at 6:36 pm - Reply

i loved this tutorial! it was so easy to follow. this was a great project and it was fun to make. thanks for sharing =)

54. Susan July 27, 2009 at 8:31 am - Reply

Great tute, Amy, thanks!

I make paperback book covers that are similar but I add a ribbon at the top for a bookmark.

Hey, we share a birthday, except I have a few years on ya! (OK, I have 20, if I'm being honest, but age is only a number, right?) lol Happy Belated Birthday! I spent mine in the car all day driving to FL for our annual beach vaca. It was fun!

Susan/FlossieBlossoms

55. Mommamimzy January 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I just did a search for making a bible cover and I came across this. WONDERFUL!! Easy to follow instructions. Can't wait to get started!

56. Eric February 23, 2010 at 10:48 am - Reply

This is an awesome tutorial, thanks for it! I just have some questions about adjusting for different sizes… like, what's the math behind all of the other numbers? :)
    Thanks!!
    Anna

57. Amy - Park City Girl February 23, 2010 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Anna – Do you mean for the pockets and such? If you email me with your addy and measurements I can help you figure it out!
    amy1399@gmail.com

58. Mary February 26, 2010 at 10:59 pm - Reply

Hi Amy! Thanks for a great tutorial. I made one of these for myself for my own birthday. It seemed only fitting :-) You don't have a Flickr group for your tutorials and patterns, do you? I'd love to see what other people are making too!

59. Elizabeth March 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Wohoo! Great tutorial. I just finished two covers (see them here: http://emsewandsew.blogspot.com/2010/03/scripture-cases.html) and plan to make at least one more. Your math conversion chart for different sizes of books works like a charm! Thanks for sharing :D!

60. Michael March 13, 2010 at 9:56 am - Reply

Thank you so much for this! I want to make some of these to give away at church. Many people make rosaries and donate them, but I thought this would be very nice, too!

God Bless!

61. val March 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Thank you Amy for this post and for all your effort in making such a good tutorial for anyone out here to follow. I am certainly going to make one and if I make a good job of it I shall make one each for my daughter-in-laws. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Blessings! Val

62. Kerimae April 20, 2010 at 8:43 pm - Reply

Hello Amy

I found your post ala google and just wanted to say "thanks!" Here is a link to my finished project, in case you'd like to see it :)

Blessings,
    Keri Mae

63. Personalized Sketches and Sentiments May 16, 2010 at 6:40 am - Reply

What a great tutorial! I need a bible cover. I am just hopping around through your older posts…so glad that I found you! I will be following you.

I use to belong to a quilting guild in Tennessee (with the encouragement of a dear friend). But the military moved both our families to other locations and with school and work and not being as organized as I would like to be…I haven't quilted in a while, except on long road trips! I love your blog with your tutorials…so I will be back :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

64. harleywife May 17, 2010 at 7:04 am - Reply

I'm going to have to try this too ! I plan on starting my FIRST quilt top next week ;have to finish up some charity blankets this week ; Thanks again to you & Natalia for your inspiration to get going on it !!!!!!

65. Sonja September 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm - Reply

I love it!!!! Thank you, Amy:)

66. Elaine December 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I love this Tutorial, but I am sorry to say the PDF link didn’t work, is it no longer working?
    Merry Christmas and God bless for 2011.

67. Cristina August 22, 2011 at 8:59 am - Reply

Very nice!!I’ll make one for my new Bible ^_^
    thanks for the tutorial…
    God bless you and greetings from Italy!

68. Chantell October 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Hi! I love this bible cover and am making it for a friend. However, her bible measures 19″ wide (including spine) and 9 1/2″ tall. I used your calculation of x 1.2 and came up with 22.8″ wide and 11 1/2″ tall. I am very confused as to what I need to do with all the other fabric measurements for the Interior fabric, the Lining, etc. How should I calculate those?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you can provide!

69. vernie December 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm - Reply

How I wish I knew how to sew. I like your Bible Cover. I wish its the kind of cover I have for my beloved bible.

70. Lori August 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Hello, saw your cover and loved it. But I used it for my daughters IPad instead. She has a plastic type case for it and it was hard for her to get it in and out, but your cover is ideal. She only has the use of her right had, after an accident and she finds this cover easy to carry and use. Thank you for the idea to help her…..

71. Mary December 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm - Reply

I just finishedmaking 1 and it is so awesome. Thanks so much, my friend wll love this gift.

72. Barb May 10, 2013 at 8:49 am - Reply

Excellent instructions, detailed pictures, and beautiful project! I will be making a Bible cover this afternoon. Hugs to you!

73. Nicole Kruse March 20, 2014 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Hi! I just love your design! I followed your instructions as far as the recalculating my bibles size however i am a little lost as to the measurements for everything else.:-( My bible measures 9.75 ( w ) x 4.75 (l ) Any ideas or help? Thanks i am kinda new at this !

74. Refer To This Page For More Tips September 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm - Reply

Internet-equipped smart phones give marketers the chance to
    reach consumers where they need a product. Furthermore, you can also avail SMS web service through which you will have the
    means of user-friendly web based interface. In this industry, you
    only cant market your business to everyone.

Feel free to surf to my web page Refer To This Page For More Tips

75. click the up coming web site September 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Among networking sites, I suggest Twitter and Facebook.
    Wanting to get rich will provide you with motivation, while certain tips, such as what you’ve just read,
    will lead you to the right path. Get those posts on your social profiles, company newsletters and social bookmarking sites.

Take a look at my blog post; click the up coming web site

76. pretty cool site September 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm - Reply

This post will assist the internet people for creating new blog or even a blog
    from start to end.

Also visit my blog post: pretty cool site

77. Norma October 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Love the look of this Bible cover & would like to make 3 for Christmas gifts. But, what keeps the Bible from sliding out? Maybe I didn’t read the instructions well enough. I have a casserole carrier pattern that is similar, and that’s the problem with it — the pan slides out if you’re not VERY careful. Thanks!

78. orinoco womble April 3, 2015 at 6:48 am - Reply

Thank you so much for a clear, easy to follow tutorial!! I have long wanted an excuse to justify buying a couple of beautiful FQs of Japanese fabric and you have just given me one! I need a new Bible cover, and this is just the thing!!

79. More Sewn Bible Covers December 14, 2015 at 6:56 pm - Reply

[…] you’re looking for the process of how I got from cloth to cover. You can find it here. I didn’t bother with a pencil pocket or handles (those always seemed odd to me), and I […]

80. On The Go Quilting » Friday Finds for January 8 January 7, 2016 at 10:03 pm - Reply

[…] – I apologize to my cousin, Gerry, who asked me about a quilted Bible cover back in October.  HERE is the tutorial that I mentioned I had seen and hope others find this a useful tutorial too.  I […]

81. veronica March 4, 2016 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Just finished my bible cover – love it! The only thing I did differently was put the pen pocket on the outer spine rather than inside. Thank you for a great tutorial!

82. Gina Diestel April 4, 2017 at 3:14 pm - Reply

I’m a beginner sewer, I would love to do this but it’s a little more vague then what I can do. If you can go into more details about where things go, with pictures would be great. Although, you probably don’t have time. I understand. Thank you!!

83. Vanessa August 26, 2017 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Hello. I have made this 3 other times but I must be getting dense in my older age I can’t figure out the measurements. My Bible is 12- across width edge across spine to edge by 8 3/4 top to bottom. I times those by 1.5 for the exterior. And the inside measurements for all else will be???? Help!