Confession of a Quilter

I have never made a log cabin block. Never – of any sort! This is one of the most basic quilting blocks I have yet to make. I browsed through flickr and found a few extraordinary examples of how amazing these blocks can be.
1. I found a quilt top today!, 2. my new log cabin, 3. Crazy Log Cabin quilt… HPIM0342, 4. log cabin

Have you made a log cabin quilt? I would love to hear your experiences, tips and tricks! I received in the mail last week a collection of vintage sheets for A Notion or Two swap for Amy. And she wants wonky log cabin blocks! I’m pretty sure I can figure this out – but having help is so much fun!

Hope your having a great day!
Blessing ~ Amy

PS – Feel free to link up to your projects in the comments – I would love to see your creations!

By | 2017-02-06T09:19:10+00:00 February 5th, 2009|a Notion or Two, random|23 Comments

1. Artfulife February 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm - Reply

I love every single one! Can’t wait to try it.

2. Amylouwho February 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm - Reply

I love all of those too. Please pass along useful tips when you get them! I helped my mom make a log cabin YEARS ago. Wonky ones? Oh boy. I’m excited to learn – it’s the reason I joined this little bee!

3. audreypawdrey February 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm - Reply

I have made a few blocks always using this as my guide:
    The only advice I can give with my beginner knowledge is to be careful to not have your seams on the last outer row of strips to close to the outside of the block. I try to have at least an inch width to the last row. I hope that makes sense!

4. Natasha February 5, 2009 at 1:02 pm - Reply

wonky log cabins are so much fun and because they are supposed to be wonky so you can’t really go wrong!

5. Stephanie February 5, 2009 at 1:34 pm - Reply

I love log cabins because they really don’t have to be perfect. I do “square” of as I go.

6. Thimbleanna February 5, 2009 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I love those wonky log cabins and I really want to try one. Can’t wait to see you make them!

7. melissa s. February 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm - Reply

You’ll be surprised at how easy they are. There are lots of wonderful tutorials, but I second the tallgrass prairie tute. You’ll do awesome, I can’t wait to see yours!

8. Jessica February 5, 2009 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I was always afraid of making a log cabin square…all of those seams looked like the perfect way to get a wonky square. Then I made one and got addicted…I haven’t stopped since.

9. Amy February 5, 2009 at 11:36 pm - Reply

I love log cabins. I aspired to them when I started quilting. My second quilt was one and I just kept going.

This is my first time on your blog and I am impressed, greeted by one of my favourite Dave Matthews songs too.

10. Jackie Russell February 6, 2009 at 7:49 am - Reply

I love the log cabin block too! I am curently working on some wonky log cabin blocks, no rules to follow. You can see some of them on my blog http://JACKIESQUILTING.blogspot.com or visit http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com

11. Amy @ Park City Girl February 6, 2009 at 11:55 am - Reply

Thanks for all the handy help friends! I hope to have my first log cabin block this weekend :)

12. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I’ll be a detractor… I love the look, but I hate making them. They go together quite easily, but I find them a bit boring. Pros and cons. You get a good-looking quilt fast, but not a huge enjoyment in the process.

13. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

14. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

15. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

16. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

17. Cheryl A February 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm - Reply

18. sewtakeahike February 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Hi Amy, thanks for posting the pics of those quilts! They are all so beautiful but I especially like the one with the random sized blocks, very interesting to look at!

19. Tipper February 7, 2009 at 9:58 am - Reply

All beautiful quilts you found!

20. Rebekah February 7, 2009 at 10:21 am - Reply

I love all of your inspiration pictures! Good luck with the log cabin blocks

21. Vicki February 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Melly and Me has a good scrappy log cabin tutorial. I made a few log cabin quilts in 2007–here’s one of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17723088@N00/2195087179/in/set-72157600038557403/

I like your blog–I’m here thru Jacquie’s Project Improv list.

22. amandajean February 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm - Reply

i love log cabin blocks. they are something i wish i had more time to mess around with. they are so very versitle-the possiblities are endless. you did well on yours i see. :)