Banana Bread

Our local grocery takes ripe/bruised bananas and marks them way down. All 4 of my kids love bananas, so getting home with a bunch of bananas can be challenging, many times I’m left with 1, especially when we are walking. And so I have a hard time passing these up!I usually feed them a few and then make banana bread with the rest. I stocked up big time :) I’ve been a little unhappy with one recipe and decided to try the stand-by that I grew up with – it was better than I remembered. The crust is just the right golden color, and crunchy, while the inside is moist and delish.

I thought I would share the recipe – I love how simple it is, and on the low-fat side :)

Banana Nut Bread
2 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 TB vegetable oil
3/4 C milk
1 C mashed bananas (2-3 medium)
1 egg
1 C finely chopped nuts

Heat your oven to 350 and grease 1 large or 2 small loaf pans.
Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl; beat on medium until just combined.
Pour into pans and bake 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

It is so easy! I have a large Kitchen Aid and easily doubled the recipe with 2 large loaf pans. I think my next batch may be muffins. I hope you try it – it is so yummy :)

By | 2017-02-06T09:19:14+00:00 October 8th, 2008|random|10 Comments

1. audreypawdrey October 8, 2008 at 1:25 pm - Reply

This sounds so delicious! I am going to have to try it. I love banana bread.

2. Marrdy October 8, 2008 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Love banana bread. Hot with lots of REAL butter!

3. melissa s. October 8, 2008 at 6:49 pm - Reply

yum! great idea to buy old bananas. they never last long enough to make b.bread at my house either!

4. DiddleDaddleDesigns October 8, 2008 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Omg, this looks so yummy. I must share this recipe with my daughter. She is the cook around here.
    Teresa

5. Thimbleanna October 9, 2008 at 4:55 am - Reply

Yum — I LOVE banana bread! Thanks for the recipe — I haven’t been happy with my standby so I’ve been collecting new ones to try!

6. tipper October 9, 2008 at 6:50 am - Reply

Now I’m Starving!!!!

7. Penny October 9, 2008 at 7:58 pm - Reply

wow Amy!! that looks so good! I’ll have to try your recipe! My standby is one from cooks illustrated that uses fat-free sour cream but I’ll have to give yours a go next time I make it. I love taking day-old banana nut bread and toasting it and slathering it with butter for breakfast. YUM!

8. Penny October 12, 2008 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Hi Amy! I just put a loaf of this in the oven, I’ll let you know what I think tomorrow! Thanks again for the recipe!

9. Amy October 13, 2008 at 1:43 pm - Reply

That looks sooooo good! Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

10. Penny October 15, 2008 at 11:28 am - Reply

I have been eating toasted banana bread the last couple of days and it is so good!! Thank-you for the great recipe!!